Super Contributor

I've taken it on and off for years.  I take 3-5 mg and have never had even a dream that I remember while taking it and I'm not joking.  That would be awful to have terrible dreams that some of you have mentioned.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I was prescribed 10mg of melatonin by my doctor. Unfortunately, it did nothing to help me sleep. But, on the other hand, I also have no terrible dreams, either. 

Super Contributor

Hi I am one who had horrible dreams and panic like attacks when I took it. I steer clear of it now. 

Honored Contributor

When I tried it, I did experience vivid dreams.  I want to echo some of the comments on this thread and add a few thoughts.   The melatonin supplement is a synthetic hormone which can have side-effects or interactions with other drugs or supplements.   

Our body's reaction to it can be very specific and individualized -- for example, some people notice it helps reduce symptoms of depression, but it also can have the opposite effect and intensify symptoms of depression (the latter is true in my case and I have to be extremely cautious in that regard).   

Also, it can affect blood sugar levels and it can trigger migraines (it’s a migraine trigger for me).    

Proper dosage isn't conclusive, and most of the time the smallest dose effective is the one recommended, and in general melatonin isn't indicated for daily long-term use unless otherwise directed by a professional who knows you.

As an example of some of the cautions by various 

sources:

"...Do not use melatonin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have an autoimmune disorder, a seizure disorder or depression.    Talk to your health care provider if you have diabetes or high blood pressure.     Melatonin supplements may also raise blood-sugar levels and increase blood pressure levels in people taking some hypertension medications. ..."

(hopkinsmedicine.org/health/healthy-sleep/sleep-science/melatonin-for-sleep-does-it-work)

As always, please be cognizant of your own needs and if possible discuss with professionals (pharmacist, physician, nutritionist, etc.) who know your history, sensitivities, and who know you as a unique individual -- those who will be there for you if any problems or concerns arise.  Be safe and well, everyone.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

I haven't received my package yet so will be very careful the first time I take one

Trusted Contributor

@KACEE1115  and @lovemygrands

The information I have says this:

"Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that ushers in sleep and is triggered by darkness and temperatures in the 60s.  Even though a melatonin supplement is a proven sleep aid, if taken long term, the body stops producing its own and can create a dependency that causes an hormonal imbalance."

What is recommended is Valerain Root extract, with additional Passion flower extract and German chamomile extract.

This is what I would do if I needed some help.  I would not do the melatonin.