Frequent Contributor

I have a difficult time falling asleep and sleeping all night and do take melatonin once in a while.  Sometimes it works (i sleep all night) sometimes it does nothing but I "wake up" with a headache and sometimes I have vivid dreams.  I do not have nightmares - my dreams are crazy but never scary and it's intersting because it's the only time I remember dreams.  Now that the subject has come up I;m going to try melatonin again tonight as I have not slept past 1:30AM in the past 3 nights!

Valued Contributor

@OutofMadison Please post if you have any affect tonight. I hope you don't. Sweet dreams!

Honored Contributor

Side effect for me is dry eyes, and then sometimes drowsiness the next day.

"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people only from their own experiences."
Respected Contributor

Start out 1mg at a time to see what works for you. I take 3mg, any more I get intense dreams. No side effects with 3. Everyone is different.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Yes to some degree. I had very interactive dreams while on melatonin to the point that I would wake up more tired than when I went to bed. Also, it gave me terrible, horrible headaches to the point that I can no longer take it. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KACEE1115 

All I know is that it is suppose to be a sleep aid. I have never needed anything to get to sleep. Working Graveyard Shift? Needed a lot of coffee to keep me awake at times. Some of my co-workers took NoDoz, I just wasn't into the pill thing.

Dreams are strange things, but I have very few. And of those, most I can't remember much.

hckynut 

@hckynut    I am another "graveyard" worker.......now retired........but I can still sleep "on command" 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I've been taking a .5mg melatonin most every nigjt for several years now. No issues as described by others.

Trusted Contributor

As a last ditch effort when I can't go to sleep, I've been known to take Melatonin....and always regret it the next morning.  Sure, it helps me get to sleep but the horrific dreams I have are awful -- it's a wonder I don't have a heartattack in my sleep, not joking.  The last time I took it, I promised myself - never again !  I'd just rather stay awake all night...lesser of the 2 evils.

Trusted Contributor

Melatonin did nothing for me but my DH takes it on occassion and he is sometimes goggy in the morning.  I was taking 10 mg , DH takes 3 mg. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

melatonin works well for me. i have problems falling asleep sometimes, but not staying asleep. i take 3mg of melatonin about an hour before i want to be asleep and it gives me that nice "falling asleep" feeling. i dont wake up groggy and get a nice 8 hours of solid sleep.

no terrible dreams or any other side effects other than sometimes a dry mouth. i always have a bottled water next to my bed.

i use it maybe twice a week, as needed.

@sunshine45 , I'm curious how you'll know that you  need it that night, an hour before you want to sleep. I don't know I'm having a bad night until after I've been in bed awake for an hour.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York