Valued Contributor

MEDICATION BEFORE DENTAL PROCEDURES

I recently posted that I needed a root canal on a tooth.  After seeing the dentist I had two teeth that needed root canals due to an infection.  I had one root canal done through the tooth but the other one has to be done as a surgical procedure.

Has anyone that had knee replacement been told they have to have medication before any dental procedure.  My dentist said the rules have changed and it's 2 years.  I called my ortho doctor and they couldn't tell me.  Never called me back.  My dentist said she can prescribe one but wonders if I really need it.  I'm 5 years out on surgery.

I do have an allergy to penicillin and was given clindamycin which I won't take because of the side effects.  Anyone have any information that may be more up to date.

Valued Contributor

Re: MEDICATION BEFORE DENTAL PROCEDURES

I hesitate to advise you as I am not a doctor and would follow what your said. However, my daughter is a dental hygienist and stated the recommendation has changed in the past few years as my husband is always to take Amoxycillan (2000mg) before teeth cleanings as he had heart surgery and a valve replacement many years ago. His dentist is still  requiring that he take it. Since no side effects, he just does as better to be safe than sorry as they say. Good luck with this but again, your doctor should advise and also know which antibiotic is best and also tolerable for you.

Honored Contributor

I'm loaded with stainless steel......and my dentist goes the "better safe than sorry" route.     

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a knee replacement about 20 months ago and I take 1 large dose of antibiotics before going to the dentist for anything. My ortho told me to follow my dentist's advice. My dentist said I have to do this for 5 years after the knee replacement.  Maybe the rules changed and I don't know it yet.  Either way, I'm happy to be safe rather than sorry.

Honored Contributor

The dentist in Florida told me different doctors have different opinions on this. They leave this up to the ortho doctor. My ortho says you need to premedicate. My Pittsburgh dentist says better safe than sorry and requires a premed for everything - even teeth cleaning.

Respected Contributor

Same here... Ortho says premeds prior to dental work or cleanings.  I've had both knees replaced and the dentist says it's up to the ortho.  Better to be safe than sorry.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You do realize that even after getting a spectrum of information here--that some dentists or doctors do require pre-medication and some do not, that it's entirely irrelevant to you in particular?

For example, if you have a heart murmur or an artificial heart valve or some other condition, you may be advised  to pre-medicate.

Or your particular medical person has experience that tells them, in a variety of cases, the best practice is to do "x"--whatever that is, or your health condition is one that requires "y". 

So no matter what I say or other people say here, it's your doctor or dentist whose opinion is relevant. Same applies to anyone reading this. Even if nine out of ten forum posters say "premedicate" or "do not"--doesn't apply to any one person's individual situation. You have to discuss that with your doctor and ask "why?"

Valued Contributor

My ortho insists that I have an antibiotic before dental work and any other invasive medical procedure FOREVER!  I have heard that many other doctors have lesser requirements, like two years.

KK

Trusted Contributor

I had a knee replacement also 4 years ago and I was told to take antibiotics before a dental procedure, even having my teeth cleaned, and to take it forever.

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I recently posted that I needed a root canal on a tooth.  After seeing the dentist I had two teeth that needed root canals due to an infection.  I had one root canal done through the tooth but the other one has to be done as a surgical procedure.

Has anyone that had knee replacement been told they have to have medication before any dental procedure.  My dentist said the rules have changed and it's 2 years.  I called my ortho doctor and they couldn't tell me.  Never called me back.  My dentist said she can prescribe one but wonders if I really need it.  I'm 5 years out on surgery.

I do have an allergy to penicillin and was given clindamycin which I won't take because of the side effects.  Anyone have any information that may be more up to date. 

@kismet

You neglected to mention what type of "medication" you're referring to ..... can you please elaborate?