Esteemed Contributor

Can anyone help me with a question I have regarding hearing aides and Medicare...I recently found a package from Medicare Advantage in my mail box.  I noticed it covers $2,000 for hearing aides.  I called Medicare and asked if they do indeed cover them and was told no.

My question is...Is Medicare Advantage part of Medicare,

and if so why was I told Medicare does not cover them? 

Thank you in advance for your response.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: MEDICARE AND HEARING AIDES

Not sure if it is a supplemental plan or not.

I'm sure someone here knows. Have you gone  to the MA website to read up on it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Original Medicare does not cover hearing aids.

Medicare Advantage Plans can cover hearing aids.  Some do and do some don’t.  If you want benefit information on your Advantage Plan, you must call your Advantage health insurance company.

When you call the Medicare phone number, the reps can only answer benefit questions about Original Medicare.  They do not have access to the 1000’s of Advantage Plan that are sold throughout country.  

You just called the wrong number for benefits.  Call the number on the back of your Advantage Card or the number supplied with the Advantage information.

If you have Original Medicare, you do not have hearing aid coverage.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Original Medicare does not cover hearing aids.

Medicare Advantage Plans can cover hearing aids.  Some do and do some don’t.  If you want benefit information on your Advantage Plan, you must call your Advantage health insurance company.

When you call the Medicare phone number, the reps can only answer benefit questions about Original Medicare.  They do not have access to the 1000’s of Advantage Plan that are sold throughout country.  

You just called the wrong number for benefits.  Call the number on the back of your Advantage Card or the number supplied with the Advantage information.

If you have Original Medicare, you do not have hearing aid coverage.

Thanks CARMIE, I am not a member of the Advantage Plan nor do intend to join it.  It was mailed to me and I looked through it and noticed the hearing aide coverage.  It does seem a shame that Original Medicare does not cover them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  I agree with you.  Advantage Plans can include, dental, vision, RX, hearing aid, and gym memberships and they are less expensive to purchase.

But the medical benefits usually are only core benefits, which works for a lot of people.  If you travel a lot, or have physical disabilities, oftentime, Advantage Plans lack those comprehensive benefits that you might need.  

It depends on your plan and what is offered in your state.  Some Advantage Plans are awesome and some are not so great.  You have to do your homework.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  You say you don't have an Advantage plan.  Do you have a Medicare supplement?  Your supplement might cover hearing aids.  Again, you would need to call the company that your supplement is with to get your answer.  If you only have original Medicare with no supplement you will not be covered.  Most people have a supplement or an Advantage plan.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma  You say you don't have an Advantage plan.  Do you have a Medicare supplement?  Your supplement might cover hearing aids.  Again, you would need to call the company that your supplement is with to get your answer.  If you only have original Medicare with no supplement you will not be covered.  Most people have a supplement or an Advantage plan.

Unfortunally, supplements do not cover hearing aids either.  They only only coinsurance and deductibles.  If not covered by Medicare, then not covered by supplements.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  I don't know what you mean by "core benefits" but advantage plans are required BY LAW to cover everything medicare covers. Plus they then will offer other incentives to get you to buy their plan like dental,vision, hearing aides , silver sneakers etc. So if an advantage plan is only "core benefits" so is medicare.

Valued Contributor

I have AARP Medcare Complete insured by United Health Care. It paid for my hearing aids all except $100.00. Check to see if it is offered in your area. I am in Texas DFW area. It isn't offered everywhere.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie  I don't know what you mean by "core benefits" but advantage plans are required BY LAW to cover everything medicare covers. Plus they then will offer other incentives to get you to buy their plan like dental,vision, hearing aides , silver sneakers etc. So if an advantage plan is only "core benefits" so is medicare.

Yes, all Advantage Plans cover the same services as original Medicare, plus more.  I agree 100%.