Honored Contributor

Re: Low dose aspirin and GERD

[ Edited ]

The last time I saw my gastro doctor they sent me home with a chart of all foods and where they are on an acid chart. For example oranges and tomatoes are a no-no.  Some apples are better than others.  Red Delicious apples have less acid, raspberries have less acid than blueberries.  The list goes on and on for just about every food their is.  I eat mostly Red Delicious apples, pears, bananas, and a couple of others on the list showing lower acid content.

Right now my Cardiologist has me on one 325 mg. aspirin every day.  I can only take it with a full meal.  I am more "acidy" than I was but it could be so many other things besides my aspirin.  It could even be the Omegas as they are know to cause stomach distress and make diarrhea worse for some people.  All of this came straight from my gasto guy.  I think I have my problem narrowed down to one of those two things.  Also my acid does much better when I eat more fruits and veges and less bread and pasta.  Watch out for sugar and chocolate, too.  I know it takes a while to narrow it down. Frustrating to say the least.  The acid list has helped me.  You might ask the doctors office for that chart.  Hopefully they have it.  Good luck!

*************  I edited this to add that my gastro NP also told me not to chalk my pain and discomfort and any gerd up to my hiatal hernia as heart trouble can give some people the almost exact same symptoms.  I'm afraid I made that mistake myself so I feel compelled to warn others just in case they haven't had their hearts checked out for awhile.

Honored Contributor

Re: Low dose aspirin and GERD

@jubilant

What you added to your post is very important and I hope everyone that reads it takes it very seriously. I have told my symptoms of my 2 heart attacks here, many times over the years. My only symptom? A sore throat! 

No arm or chest discomfort, or any of the other more well known symptoms of one having a heart attack. If something feels different,  especially if it is something you have never experienced quite like it? 

GET IMMEDIATE HELP OR SOONER! Sure, you may not be having a heart attack, but are you willing to possibly be betting your life by not finding out? 

I am not, and never have been. That fortunately, saved my life twice when really having a heart attack.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)