Honored Contributor

Re: Low dose aspirin and GERD

wrote:

My gastro doc also told me many years ago not to take any nsaids after my endoscopy because of my GERD and large hiatal hernia.  I recently had an eschemic colitis attack and now he has changed his mind and wants me to take the low dose aspirin, claiming that it would be much for dangerous for me not to.   So, I have to weigh the pros and cons and its not going to be an easy decision.  Thanks for your input. 

@Vineyard Girl

The aspirin can help save your life, that's why I take it, to protect my heart.

If you don't follow the lifestyle changes I mentioned, you might want to try them to see if they help you.  I used to get GERD so bad, I had trouble breathing after eating.  No problems at all now.  Talk to your doctor, good luck!

Valued Contributor

I can only take the BRANDED Ecotrin, the generic one gives me heartburn!

Even with the Branded, Ecotrin, I must take with food and water.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vineyard Girlwrote:

I have recently been advised by my doc to take a daily low dose aspirin but I am hesitant to do so because I have GERD and a hiatal hernia.  Has anyone with these pre-existing conditions had success and if so, are there any special tricks to keep your digestive system in good working condition?   Hoping to hear some success stories to ease my concern.

@Vineyard Girl

Yes, part of my 2 heart attack regimen is taking an 81mg aspirin per day. Any more than that? My colon will probably start bleeding again.

My 1st Endoscopy came back with the following results, I went in Asymptomatic, no symptoms.

1) GERD

2) Hiatal Hernia

3) Inflamed Esophagus

4) Barrett's Esophagus(a precursor to Esophageal Cancer).

I have never had a digestive disorder, and still don't, to this day.  Neither GERD/Hiatal Hernia, or an 81mg aspirin has changed a thing. I did recently have an Inguinal Hernia Repaired, still not 100% recovered, but was back ice skating 2 weeks after my surgery.

No tricks or tips, but I take my aspirin at night before I turn in!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut

Interesting that you take before sleep......

Honored Contributor

@Apple Crispwrote:

Unfortunately, I used the enteric coated aspirin, baby dose, and it had an effect on me.

Enteric coated ASA do not dissolve in the stomach - they don't dissolve until much lower in the digestive tract - so they can't cause stomach upset or indigestion or bleeding. Beside which , if you suffer from GERD you should be taking something daily to suppress the acid pump in your stomach.

Honored Contributor

@Justice4allwrote:

@hckynut

Interesting that you take before sleep......

@Justice4all

My Cardiologist told me that I would benefit more by taking in the late evening close to going to sleep. Sometimes, like last night, that wasn't till after 4AM. He's saved my life twice, and I have been his patient since he started his practice in 1983. He went to Cardiology School with my nephew, who later decided to into anesthesiology.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut

You seem to have really good doctors...

Super Contributor

@151949 I was on Proton Pump Inhibitors for 15 years. To make a long story short, I developed precancerous polyps in my stomach from these pills. They had to be removed. I had to wean myself off the PPIs and had another EGD and was clean. No one should take those pills for more than 8 weeks. According to what I have read, an enteric coating does not prevent problems. Besides, I know how I felt when I took them. 

Contributor

I am planning to start out slow with the aspirin by taking it every other day and eventually increase to every day if there are no problems.  I will plan to take an enteric coated pill with food to do all I can to eliminate any side effects.  I know how important it is to protect my heart and so I have to give it a try.  Thanks for your input!

Honored Contributor

@Vineyard Girlwrote:

I am planning to start out slow with the aspirin by taking it every other day and eventually increase to every day if there are no problems.  I will plan to take an enteric coated pill with food to do all I can to eliminate any side effects.  I know how important it is to protect my heart and so I have to give it a try.  Thanks for your input!

@Vineyard Girl

You might want to take it when you have food in your stomach, that can help a sensitive tummy.  I take mine immediately after breakfast.