Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

Does anyone else have a low iron count with hemoglobin in the okay range?  I can't figure it out.  And I can't take any iron because my stomach does not tolerate it.

@Patriot3 

What do you mean by "ok range".  With my bleeding colon my Hemoglobin number meant the difference between needing another blood transfusion or not.

Have you checked the numbers that fall into the normal range when it comes to you personally. If you don't know the numbers, get them. 

Numbers are important, not just "ok or normal". What is normal for some is too low for others. A lot depends on several health factors.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I was just diagnosed with low hemoglobin , got iron pills RX to take . Haven't started , l too have stomach issues from iron pills .  I do have symptoms , so tired all the time . 

Esteemed Contributor

@judianne 

Low hemoglobin numbers make you tired because you are not getting adequate amount of oxygen from your red blood cells. I was Anemic for several years because of my bleeding colon and constant need of blood transfusions and Iron Infusions.

Won't go through my colon issues, will just say I have had 130+ blood transfusions and 30+ Iron Infusions. And being one that has had 2 heart attacks, my Hemoglobin numbers were that much more important.

My Hemotolohist said I would be ok with a number of 9g/dl. My Cardiologist said with my heart condition he wanted it at 10g/dl or above. Mine got as low as 6.8g/dl and it wore me out blinking my eyes.

Mine now runs around 14.5g/dl-15.8g/dl. I feel great at those levels. I get a B-12 shot every month, and my Iron Ferritin level checked every 3 months. If my Ferritin is low, I need an Iron Infusion, even if my Hemoglobin is 13g/dl or more.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@judianne 

@judianne wrote:

I was just diagnosed with low hemoglobin , got iron pills RX to take . Haven't started , l too have stomach issues from iron pills .  I do have symptoms , so tired all the time . 

Andrew Lessman Iron vit don't cause stomach upset. 

Honored Contributor

A very dark peiod of my life is when I had low iron and wasn't diagnosed for quite a while. My life ws miserable. Once I was diagnosed with severe low iron my doctor had me take ferrous sulfate and I was cured! Yay!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

A very dark peiod of my life is when I had low iron and wasn't diagnosed for quite a while. My life ws miserable. Once I was diagnosed with severe low iron my doctor had me take ferrous sulfate and I was cured! Yay!

@ID2 

Your post has the key word, diagnosed! Having a low Iron reading, in and of itself, means very little. The reason has to be diagnosed. You can have a very good level of Hemoglobin, but still be iron deficient, and vice versa.

Your doctor prescribed what you should take, be it a prescription or OTC substance. Good for that Doctor.

Too many hear "low iron" and think "supplements", when it could be caused by say, a low Iron Ferritin Level. A regular blood test does not give an Iron Ferritin Level, unless it is specifically asked for by your doctor.

I mentioned in my other post that my Iron and Hemoglobin levels can be very good, while at the same time, my Iron Ferritin Level is not. For me that means an Iron Infusion is necessary.

It is similar to a Blood Transfusion, but for me, much more risky. I had suffered Anaphylactic Shock, during an Iron Infusion, and this can be deadly. Fortunately I get my Infusions in the hospital.

For those that say I have "low iron" I think I will take an AL supplement? I would suggest getting a Full Blood Panel Workup, which includes Hemoglobin and Iron Ferritin, before hoping a supplement will be all you need.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I did a few years ago.  I had iron deficiency anemia buy my hemoglobin was normal.  I had to take supplements to get it up to normal.  I maintain it by taking a multivitamin with iron and eating oatmeal and iron rich seafood 3 times a week.  I don't eat red meat and I hate leafy green vegetables so I get my iron checked every 6 months.