Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone else have a low iron count with hemoglobin in the okay range?  I can't figure it out.  And I can't take any iron because my stomach does not tolerate it.

Respected Contributor

It's not that uncommon, but the cause can be a diagnostic challenge. I think you'll need to review your health history with your doc to see if he/she can pinpoint something. There are some cases where they never can, but just continue to monitor over time. 

It's imperative that you treat the low iron though. If your level is not too low, maybe dietary additions could help, along with lower dose supplements. Ask your doc if this would be possible for your case for better treatment comfort.

Contributor

I have had low iron (my lowest count was 7).  Since you can't take iron tablets, I suggest you eat iron rich foods.  Cream of Wheat is the highest iron rich food you can eat (per my blood bank info).  Watch your intake of Advil or other ibuprofen meds.  They will deplete your iron levels.  There are also some supplements you might be able to take that help your iron levels  - B vitamins are a big one.  

Respected Contributor

Check ferritin levels----that shows store house of iron.

My hemoglobin is ok, while I need ferritin infusions 

every 10-12 weeks due to avms (small bleeds in lower 

bowl)

'How do you feel? I get tremendous symptoms when ferritin is low------

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 It is important that you discuss this with your medical provider. THAT is the person who can diagonose and treat you. It's not for you to figure out.

When I was having chemo my levels got so low that I needed 3 infusions over a matter of weeks.

Tho I am no longer anemic, my oncologist put me on a regimen of iron (ferrous sulfate) and vitamin C (which works with the iron/ferrour sulfate) and will be on it for my lifetime. My PCP is on board with this.

Haven't you talked to your doctor about this? 

Respected Contributor

Yes.  My hgb is good now and my iron is dropping.  Will get an infusion when it reaches a certain level.   I see a hematologist for this.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 @Keep a food diary for two weeks. See how you are doing. Know that Vitamin C increases iron absorption. You can use the app called MYFITTNESSPAL for your food diary. You might be able raise your iron level with food, once you keep track of the foods you are consuming and increase your Vitamin C. Eating iron rich foods with Vitamin C rich foods increases the iron you absorb.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 @Please read this article. It's from the National Institute of Health and it describes what you are experiencing. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjU5Yq-vNX2AhVJiOAKHbrJChQQ...

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Patriot3 @Please read this article. It's from the National Institute of Health and it describes what you are experiencing. 
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjU5Yq-vNX2AhVJiOAKHbrJChQQ...

@Mindy D  Interesting.......thank you.

Contributor

I have dropping ferritin and iron but normal hemoglobin. Can't take oral iron either because of stomach issues. I even tried "gentle iron" and it was a no go. It's such a mystery, not bleeding and don't have absorption issues. I do have a hematologist who gives iron infusions when I reach a certain level, but it's kind of awful just waiting to drop further.