Honored Contributor

Re: Low Fat/No Fat Diet/Meatless.....

@Trinity11 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

As the benefits administrator for my company for 17 years, I have processed many many short term disability claims for employees who have followed extreme paths to diet and exercise.

I follow the Primal Blueprint and Mark Sisson promotes the concept of n=1.  You have to find what works for your body and what doesn't.

@VaBelle35...interesting. That is basically what I followed ..a type of Paleo diet. After 2 heart attacks in less than a year, I attribute some of it to a high protein/fat dietary program. Isn't the Primal Blueprint an extreme diet?

@Trinity11

Some say it is.  I don't think so.

I started with Whole30 for 30 days and when I got to day 30 I had to find a path forward as Whole30 is only for 30 days it's not meant to live on for the rest of your life.

No sugar, no grains, no legumes, only whole foods are the basics.  Grassfed, organic meat and dairy.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Organic, grassfed meat is leaner.  I eat a lot of beef but my bloodwork is fine.  In fact I flipped my numbers in the first year of switching to Primal Blueprint.  I started on Halloween and had my bloodwork a few weeks before and then again a year later.

It works for me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

As the benefits administrator for my company for 17 years, I have processed many many short term disability claims for employees who have followed extreme paths to diet and exercise.

I follow the Primal Blueprint and Mark Sisson promotes the concept of n=1.  You have to find what works for your body and what doesn't.

@VaBelle35...interesting. That is basically what I followed ..a type of Paleo diet. After 2 heart attacks in less than a year, I attribute some of it to a high protein/fat dietary program. Isn't the Primal Blueprint an extreme diet?

@Trinity11

Some say it is.  I don't think so.

I started with Whole30 for 30 days and when I got to day 30 I had to find a path forward as Whole30 is only for 30 days it's not meant to live on for the rest of your life.

No sugar, no grains, no legumes, only whole foods are the basics.  Grassfed, organic meat and dairy.

Thank you @VaBelle35. I see now what you mean that it is only for 30 days. So I guess, after the 30 days is up he shifts to more moderation.

It is interesting all the different meal plans from so many different school's of thought. They all seem to conflict with one another as to what will keep us healthy. I think John's comment about he does what makes him feel the best ends up being the answer after all is said and done.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt wrote:

Years ago, when "low fat" was a diet craze, I did it and developed gout. My doctor had me stop right away and told me my lack of nutrition gave me gout. Then he told me I was not fat and only needed to lose 10 pounds. I was so hungry I promptly went and had a cheeseburger. Over the years, I have tried many diets but the best plan for me is Weight Watchers. I follow it and have lost plenty of weight and I get to eat anything I want. Weight watchers really teaches me about how to handle emotional eating, holidays, portion sizes and how to eat mindful, most of the time. I really love it. 

@conlt, I joined WW in Dec. 2015, and lost a significant amount of weight. I enjoy the meetings, and agree that WW is the very best nutrition program that addresses all areas that affect our eating habits. I recently switched to Simply Filling, and am truly enjoying this plan by WW. I did not know it was available, and I switched my app to this setting after talking to my leader. I also love it, and recommend it or Smart Points to anyone that is interested in all the things you listed. 

Honored Contributor

Sure glad you are feeling better. Anything extreme like you tried scares me.  I'm reading all of Dr. Travis Stork's books for weight loss.  His ideas seem fairly mainstream and sensible, but I'm procrastinating getting onboard because I like junk food too much.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11- such an unpleasant experience for you. I'm sorry this happened, especially since you were attempting to improve your wellbeing.

You experience confirms my belief that in lifestyles, one size doesn't fit all.

My experience has confirmed that FOR ME, some fats are both nutritious and essential.

I eat nuts almost every day, and olive or coconut oil as well.

I love avocado. 

I eat eggs and egg whites for protein. lots of veggies and low carb fruit.

I NEVER recommend that anyone do what I do, because, to the best of my knowledge, I am not a twin.

I eat things that make me comfortable and happy. My 6 month blood tests have been very good for the three years I have been eating this way. and my medical doctors agree that I'm doing well. Hope you can find your way to YOUR healthiest place VERY SOON!

Respected Contributor

Whatever happened to eating all foods in moderation?  It's not rocket science.  It's common sense.  If you don't like a certain food, don't eat it.

Unless you are diabetic, eat what you want. I cannot imagine analyzing every little thing I'm putting in my mouth and yes, twice a year I see my physician and get my blood work which is quite good except for my glucose.  If I lost a few lbs., I could it down to normal.  However, my doctor is pleased with my blood work for my age of 64.

JMO of course.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gooday

Makes sense to me. If you are happy with how you feel and your vital numbers, that is all that counts. That is the way I see it.  Good for you.

Gotta go load up my skating gear, didn't realize it was this late. See ya,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

Whatever happened to eating all foods in moderation?  It's not rocket science.  It's common sense.  If you don't like a certain food, don't eat it.

Unless you are diabetic, eat what you want. I cannot imagine analyzing every little thing I'm putting in my mouth and yes, twice a year I see my physician and get my blood work which is quite good except for my glucose.  If I lost a few lbs., I could it down to normal.  However, my doctor is pleased with my blood work for my age of 64.

JMO of course.

@GoodayI am a Type 1 diabetic and I started that diet thinking it may save my life. Two heart attacks, heart failure in 11 months and a person will do just about anything to try and be healthy and stay alive. I had no weight to lose.....I was only doing it to try and not have another heart attack. And yes, after the experience I have had I DO analyze every little thing I put in my mouth. I would love to be someone like yourself that can use common sense and not fret over what I ate. You are lucky....not all of us are.

Honored Contributor

I've never tried this way of eating.  But I think I have posted this story before.

Years ago I used to work in a hair salon and the business right next door to us was a fitness center and they sold vitamins and supplements. The co-owners were body builders.  When they were getting ready for competition, they cut all fats out of their diets.  They used to come into the salon to tan also before a competition. 

They looked dreadful.  Their skin was dry and gross looking from totally getting rid of all fats.  They always said they could hardly wait ti get fats back into their diet so their skin wouldn't look so bad.