Honored Contributor

Re: Low Fat/No Fat Diet/Meatless.....

Morning, at least here in our state @Trinity11,

Sorry to hear you are having even more problems and had to once again end up in the ER. My experimenting ended years ago when it comes to what I eat that gives me the most "umph" for MY body, and also helps keep all my nutritional needs pretty close to what is right for MY body.

While I quit meat/fowl and fish decades ago, I have never went No Fat, and the lowest percentage for me was a little under 10%. Still drink mostly 2% milk/eat cheese and other dairy products, and since I have never had a blood-sugar issue, I eat plenty of complex carbs.

As I mentioned to you recently, I am feeling absolutely great, and my fitness level is at probably the best level those in my age group can expect to achieve. Obvious to me, both by the way I feel, and also all my important blood readings and treadmill stress test results.

Won't even tell anyone what is working for me because it is not exactly what "the experts" would recommend to anyone. Nothing that is bad for most, but I myself am shocked that my food current food program has given me such amazingly great results in both aforementioned categories. It still contains the foods my experimenting has found best for MY body, just eaten in different amounts at different times.

Was hoping you were doing better and not having issues like you mention in your post. Really wishing you and your medical team can find a program that will work for getting you to a much better point with your health issues.

My very best to you my friend,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Morning, at least here in our state @Trinity11,

Sorry to hear you are having even more problems and had to once again end up in the ER. My experimenting ended years ago when it comes to what I eat that gives me the most "umph" for MY body, and also helps keep all my nutritional needs pretty close to what is right for MY body.

While I quit meat/fowl and fish decades ago, I have never went No Fat, and the lowest percentage for me was a little under 10%. Still drink mostly 2% milk/eat cheese and other dairy products, and since I have never had a blood-sugar issue, I eat plenty of complex carbs.

As I mentioned to you recently, I am feeling absolutely great, and my fitness level is at probably the best level those in my age group can expect to achieve. Obvious to me, both by the way I feel, and also all my important blood readings and treadmill stress test results.

Won't even tell anyone what is working for me because it is not exactly what "the experts" would recommend to anyone. Nothing that is bad for most, but I myself am shocked that my food current food program has given me such amazingly great results in both aforementioned categories. It still contains the foods my experimenting has found best for MY body, just eaten in different amounts at different times.

Was hoping you were doing better and not having issues like you mention in your post. Really wishing you and your medical team can find a program that will work for getting you to a much better point with your health issues.

My very best to you my friend,

hckynut(john)

@hckynut.....your post is so encouraging! A personal question if I may.....did you need stents when you had your heart attacks? I know you are not on a blood thinner so I wondered about it. I was wondering if people with a lot of stents like myself, do less well.

I agree with your posts about finding what is right for the individual for optimum performance and health. My son has been telling me this for years. He has had heart disease since birth and has done very well. He eats a diet that helps him to feel at his best and he does not waver.

Hope you continue with your skating and feeling good!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi again @Trinity11,

Yes, I have 2 Medicated Stents, both in my Right Coronary Artery. Both my heart attacks were when that artery was 100% blocked, and my lipid numbers were always at low numbers, in the important categories like: HDL/LDL Ratio/Total way under 200/HDL while good, not the best at low 40's(now 70 at last check)/LDL also around 55.

I was on Coumadin/Warfarin for 7+ years, mainly because of my 2 bouts with PE. The only reason I decided to get off thinners was because of my very bad Colon bleeding issues. The 120+ blood transfusions/at least 30+ Iron Infusions, and also fighting Anemia and feeling close to the worst all the time. Then there was my 3-7 days every week of getting full blood draws, and even shooting myself 2 times a day with Lovonox, not a fun thing to do.

I am not longer on any thinner or beta blocker. Got off my Metropolol(LoPressor) close to a year ago. That is why/how I can safely use my Teeter Inversion Table. Bought it when I was off the meds and all my doctors gave me the thumbs up. I know a former ICU nurse here thinks doing inversion is nuts, but she is entitled to her opinion, which has zero knowledge of my body.

Went skating Mon/Tues/Wed, and will be going today in a couple hours. Feels good to have others at the rink(especially the young kids) tell me what a good skater I am on occasion. 

Thanks for your well wishes. My plans are to keep doing my workouts, still making sure via heart rate they are hard enough, yet safe enough to keep improving and maintaining my high level of fitness and health. I include skating in there going as often as the rink has open skating for the public. Free for those 75 and up, so that is a good thing also. Have known everyone at this rink for years from my Adult Hockey League of those long 52 years of running it.

Glad your son is doing so well and he found what works for him and is sticking with it. He will, or already, is reaping the benefits and I hope that never changes. Now for his mom!

Sincerely want the best for you dealing with all of your health, and life in general issues.

Your friend,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't really crave much meat, such as pork or chicken. I do like a turkey sandwich now and again, but beef, that's my weakness. I also love seafood, especially salmon, but not the farm raised stuff though.

I am trying to watch my sugar intake.

I prefer my coffee black. I may have just one soda a week. Some weeks, I don't have soda at all.

I'm trying to get use to soy milk.

I like salads, and while ranch and blue cheese dressings are my favorite, I'm trying to switch to an oil-vinegrette dressing.

I'm starting to get in the habit of eating one bowl of steel-cut oatmeal every day. I like to top it with a handful of blueberries and blackberries. I'll also throw in some wheat germ and flax seed in with it.

So, even I am trying to eat healthier.

Honored Contributor

I don't play around with my diet .. just make sure I eat balanced meals.  I would never eliminate an entire category.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11, I would think having diabetes and heart issues, your doctors and your husband (isn't he a heart doctor?) would advise you on what you should be eating.

I'm just curious:  what were you trying to accomplish by this eating routine?  Weight loss, better overall health, or trying to eliminate some meds? 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Trinity11, I would think having diabetes and heart issues, your doctors and your husband (isn't he a heart doctor?) would advise you on what you should be eating.

I'm just curious:  what were you trying to accomplish by this eating routine?  Weight loss, better overall health, or trying to eliminate some meds? 

My husband is not a cardiologist.

I was trying to avoid another heart attack. After 2 within 11 months, I am desperate to find something that will keep me from dying.

Hope that answers your concerns. .

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

My husband is not a cardiologist.

I was trying to avoid another heart attack. After 2 within 11 months, I am desperate to find something that will keep me from dying.

Hope that answers your concerns. .

I must be thinking of another poster whose husband was a cardiologist...

Honored Contributor

Well, this is transparent. 

Having a protein deficiency/low in protein is almost unheard of in mainstream population. And eliminating oils & eating plants only to have cholesterol increase is almost unheard of, as well. Cholesterol does not increase under those conditions.  

Reason I question things, is using the phrase 'no fat diet'.

Again, there is no such thing.  Every food have C/P/F,  naturally 

occurring fats are in the diet even when no overt fats are added. 

So to make a sweeping blanket statement is a sign of no/limited

knowledge on the subject at hand. 

8 weeks of 100% adherence would've seen positive results.

A low fat, whole foods, plant based diet is optimum for everyone...

especially those with multiple health issues.  

To make big changes, one has to make big changes.

And to adhere to said changes.

@Trinity11

I'm sorry you had a scare & are not well.  

If you wish to continue along your plant-based journey for health,

I know many who contact Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn & Dr. John McDougall directly with questions & these doctors will personally respond.

I hope you reconsider.  Wishing you the best...

🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

I am curious to know what your daily food intake looked like?

I wish you better health.