Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,624
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

[ Edited ]

Dr Becky Gillaspy just uploaded a great new short video (4-minutes) on youtube for those who would like a better understanding...

 

Below is the title to google at youtube:

 

Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

 

As I have mentioned several times on many threads, DH and I started at the 60-70 carb level and about every 6 months or so we cut out about 10 carbs. We are down to averaging 20-30 carbs daily with an occasional/rare day of 30-40 carbs.

 

This works for us because of our own personal insulin resistance level and other issues like our age, etc.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?


@Susan Louise wrote:

Dr Becky Gillaspy just uploaded a great new video (4-minute) on youtube for those who would like a better understanding...

 

Below is the title to google at youtube:

 

Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

 

As I have mentioned several times on many threads, DH and I started at the 60-70 carb level and about every 6 months we cut out about 10 carbs. We are down to averaging 20-30 carbs daily with an occasional/rare day of 30-40 carbs.

 

This works for us because of our own personal insulin resistance level and other issues like our age, etc.

 

 

 

@Susan Louise 

 

I can't and never would speak for my wife, she is quite capable of speaking for herself. Again I see DH in another of your posts. She has her own account and has spoken on these forums at times, so!

 

Low Carb/Low Fat/Low Sugar/Low Protein/Low Sodium/Low Minerals, Low, Low, Low.  That 3 letter word means zip without a correlation. You say 60-70 as if that is high, and 20-30 as if that is nominal, or is that low?

 

You mention "other issues like our age", plural. What is your age?  Mine as I have said often is born 1939.

 

Ah!! More videos, I know! Too much to type/repeat, easier to let someone tell their theory.

 

I have many things that fall into my theoretical world, my choice is to leave most of them there, in my mind as a theory, where they belong.

 

Fact vs Theory-What's the Difference?

 

Most here know.

 

 

hckynut 🥅🏒

 

 

 

 

 


 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,251
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

Hubby and I had this conversation after I got back from the grocery store.  I had picked him up some pork rinds and he mentioned that he needed to get back on Keto.  Then, he says I did a better job of it than he.  I told him I never did keto.  I only did a lower carb diet.  I stayed under 100g TOTAL carbs/day.  That is nowhere near Keto.  For me, Keto is just too extreme.  I don't want to spend my time worrying about food, counting Carbs, subtracting the fiber to get to NET carbs so you can have more, trying to find that one carb-conscious food that replaces that high carb item you love.  It may look like that food, but I guarantee you it doesn't taste like it.  

 

From what I understand, there really is no cut and dried definition of low carb, but anything below 100g total per day would be cosidered low carb, so that's what I went with.  Still, I couldn't stick with that as a total lifestyle change.  

 

Realistically, if hubby just gave up drinking beer he would probably have no problem at all losing weight.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,624
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?


@hckynut wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Dr Becky Gillaspy just uploaded a great new video (4-minute) on youtube for those who would like a better understanding...

 

Below is the title to google at youtube:

 

Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

 

As I have mentioned several times on many threads, DH and I started at the 60-70 carb level and about every 6 months we cut out about 10 carbs. We are down to averaging 20-30 carbs daily with an occasional/rare day of 30-40 carbs.

 

This works for us because of our own personal insulin resistance level and other issues like our age, etc.

 

 

 

@Susan Louise 

 

I can't and never would speak for my wife, she is quite capable of speaking for herself. Again I see DH in another of your posts. She has her own account and has spoken on these forums at times, so!

 

Low Carb/Low Fat/Low Sugar/Low Protein/Low Sodium/Low Minerals, Low, Low, Low.  That 3 letter word means zip without a correlation. You say 60-70 as if that is high, and 20-30 as if that is nominal, or is that low?

 

You mention "other issues like our age", plural. What is your age?  Mine as I have said often is born 1939.

 

Ah!! More videos, I know! Too much to type/repeat, easier to let someone tell their theory.

 

I have many things that fall into my theoretical world, my choice is to leave most of them there, in my mind as a theory, where they belong.

 

Fact vs Theory-What's the Difference?

 

Most here know.

 

 

hckynut 🥅🏒

 

 

 

 

 


 


 

@hckynut  DH and I started the low carb/keto journey on the same day in Sept 2018. We both cleared out our fridge/pantry & freezer that very day...together.

Since we live together, we pretty much know each other's personal issues related to many things including our lifestyle journey. We poked our fingers together many times to check our blood sugar levels.

 

We happen to have roughly the same insulin resistance level too even though our gender and height/weight is different, all the other variables associated with insulin resistance (how strong it is) winds up in the end pretty much being the same when it comes to our carb level/count and what works best for us.

 

Call it lucky or unlucky, but it certainly make meal planning so much easier Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

@Susan Louise 

 

My wife and I have lived together for about 45 years. While we have many of the same things in common, our health journeys are nowhere close to the same. Our genetics play a role in many differences in that respect. Her predispositions are much different than mine, as are our lifestyles, to a certain degree.

 

When it comes to meals, she does her thing and I do mine. She sometimes plans, I on the other hand prefer off the cuff depending, how I feel, and that generally works. I almost always do this in coordination with what level of workout I have planned for the day. Of course there are the "pre" and the "posts" when it comes to what my body needs to "prevent" or "replenish" itself. I do not ever want to rely on "fat" as an energy source, it is not conducive to vigorous workouts.

 

My choice of body weight I can adjust for whatever level of activities I have planned down the road. This is determined not so much by how much I eat, but how long and how much I train.

 

When I played hockey or was a hockey referee, my comfortable weight was 150-155lbs. When I moved into spring and more into distance running, for 1 mile up and through 10k distances, 130-135lbs was the best. For the 26.2 mile Marathons, 120-125lbs was the best.

 

Unlike my wife years ago that chose to P on a stick(this was in the early 1970's) to check her ketosis level, I chose to add a mile or 2 to my running, if I weighed more than I wished at that time. She chose low to no carbs, I chose more complex carbs to keep my best body fuel at level conducive with my energy expenditure.

 

During this and in later decades, I always made it a priority to know my body composition. Scale numbers told me very little, so every few years I would undergo Submersion/Hydrostatic Body Composition Testing.

 

I always wanted to know that my body Fat Levels were around 10% or a couple numbers one way or the other. My most recent one came back with 12% and at my age that is a rewarding number to me.

 

Having almost died, at last count, 8 times? Do I say it was "luck"?  In maybe 2-3 of those instances. The others were directly connected to my body's physical fitness at the time of these events. Without that level of physical and mental fitness? I would not have lived, much less reach a full recovery, a couple in which it took years.

 

When someone asks me why/how?  I tell them whatever part of my experiences that might connect to them. Do I suggest they follow what I did, or do? No, I do not go into specifics of what is best for them. I leave that up to them and their doctor(s) to decide.

 

I have said on this specific Forum several times recently. What I choose as my eating program I would never want anyone to follow. At my age and my physical activities of the present, it has worked well for me now, for close to 4 years.

 

Would this have worked for me in my 50's-'60's or early 70's? Probably not, but it has worked great for me from age 78 to my present age of 82. No longer run, but do vigorous exercising 4-5 days a week. And 2-3 of those days are done on ice skates, which I can still do very well at a high level.

 

Our lives are different in many aspects. I choose to let others ask me about certain things when it comes to physical fitness, or foods. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since the mid 1970's, and have never mentioned it to anyone unless the topic came up.

 

You will not see or hear me espouse my way of living on here unless I am asked. I also do not direct others to videos or the beliefs of certain doctors, MD, or those that like to see "Dr" preceding their names.

 

Glad to see you reply. Always appreciate the time posters here take to further explain their reasons for certain threads and posts.

 

 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,624
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?


@hckynut wrote:

@Susan Louise 

 

My wife and I have lived together for about 45 years. While we have many of the same things in common, our health journeys are nowhere close to the same. Our genetics play a role in many differences in that respect. Her predispositions are much different than mine, as are our lifestyles, to a certain degree.

 

When it comes to meals, she does her thing and I do mine. She sometimes plans, I on the other hand prefer off the cuff depending, how I feel, and that generally works. I almost always do this in coordination with what level of workout I have planned for the day. Of course there are the "pre" and the "posts" when it comes to what my body needs to "prevent" or "replenish" itself. I do not ever want to rely on "fat" as an energy source, it is not conducive to vigorous workouts.

 

My choice of body weight I can adjust for whatever level of activities I have planned down the road. This is determined not so much by how much I eat, but how long and how much I train.

 

When I played hockey or was a hockey referee, my comfortable weight was 150-155lbs. When I moved into spring and more into distance running, for 1 mile up and through 10k distances, 130-135lbs was the best. For the 26.2 mile Marathons, 120-125lbs was the best.

 

Unlike my wife years ago that chose to P on a stick(this was in the early 1970's) to check her ketosis level, I chose to add a mile or 2 to my running, if I weighed more than I wished at that time. She chose low to no carbs, I chose more complex carbs to keep my best body fuel at level conducive with my energy expenditure.

 

During this and in later decades, I always made it a priority to know my body composition. Scale numbers told me very little, so every few years I would undergo Submersion/Hydrostatic Body Composition Testing.

 

I always wanted to know that my body Fat Levels were around 10% or a couple numbers one way or the other. My most recent one came back with 12% and at my age that is a rewarding number to me.

 

Having almost died, at last count, 8 times? Do I say it was "luck"?  In maybe 2-3 of those instances. The others were directly connected to my body's physical fitness at the time of these events. Without that level of physical and mental fitness? I would not have lived, much less reach a full recovery, a couple in which it took years.

 

When someone asks me why/how?  I tell them whatever part of my experiences that might connect to them. Do I suggest they follow what I did, or do? No, I do not go into specifics of what is best for them. I leave that up to them and their doctor(s) to decide.

 

I have said on this specific Forum several times recently. What I choose as my eating program I would never want anyone to follow. At my age and my physical activities of the present, it has worked well for me now, for close to 4 years.

 

Would this have worked for me in my 50's-'60's or early 70's? Probably not, but it has worked great for me from age 78 to my present age of 82. No longer run, but do vigorous exercising 4-5 days a week. And 2-3 of those days are done on ice skates, which I can still do very well at a high level.

 

Our lives are different in many aspects. I choose to let others ask me about certain things when it comes to physical fitness, or foods. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since the mid 1970's, and have never mentioned it to anyone unless the topic came up.

 

You will not see or hear me espouse my way of living on here unless I am asked. I also do not direct others to videos or the beliefs of certain doctors, MD, or those that like to see "Dr" preceding their names.

 

Glad to see you reply. Always appreciate the time posters here take to further explain their reasons for certain threads and posts.

 

 

hckynut 🏒


 

@hckynut  You are welcome Smiley Happy

I'm always glad and help others when I can.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,905
Registered: ‎06-24-2011

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

@hckynut 

I have to marvel at you and all you are doing for yourself. The one thing that made me smile was that you are 82 and still ice skating. More power to you. I am in my 60's and I cringe at the thought of getting on the ice with ice skates. Woman Wink

Super Contributor
Posts: 408
Registered: ‎10-08-2014

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

Thanks for the video ! I follow a Keto way of eating going on 5 years . Excellent way to live & eat ! 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 43,727
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?

@Susan Louise @GinzTonic @Leeny If anyone is going to follow KETO, you need to discuss it with your doctor first.

 

When you eat the high protein and fat of a Keto diet, if you're really efficient, you will have keotones spill over into your blood and urine similar to what a diabetic has in their blood!!! 

To mimic the blood of a diabetic is not healthy, especially if you prolong the diet and it is hard on the kidneys too.

 

When you get off of Keto, you haven't reeducated yourself in healthy eating to maintain the weight loss.  

 

Any doctor or nutritionist will tell you an "eating plan" is the most healthy way to lose weight and the easier on your body.  Weight Watchers is an example.  The largest weight loss group world wide.

 

The science part of my degree was spent in chemistry and food science.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,347
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: Low Carb vs Keto - What's The Difference?


@ECBG wrote:

@Susan Louise @GinzTonic @Leeny If anyone is going to follow KETO, you need to discuss it with your doctor first.

 

When you eat the high protein and fat of a Keto diet, if you're really efficient, you will have keotones spill over into your blood and urine similar to what a diabetic has in their blood!!! 

To mimic the blood of a diabetic is not healthy, especially if you prolong the diet and it is hard on the kidneys too.

 

When you get off of Keto, you haven't reeducated yourself in healthy eating to maintain the weight loss.  

 

Any doctor or nutritionist will tell you an "eating plan" is the most healthy way to lose weight and the easier on your body.  Weight Watchers is an example.  The largest weight loss group world wide.

 

The science part of my degree was spent in chemistry and food science.


@ECBG contrary to your understanding, the keto way of eating is not a high protein diet.  It is high fat, but the protein is moderate, and carbs are low. I think many people would be surprised to find out how little protein is required on a daily basis, to be healthy.  Unfortunately the majority of the traditional doctors, nurse practitioners, and nutritionists  are not well educated on keto.  BTW, Where did you get the information you stated?  Your comments simply arent true.  The keto way of eating is not a temporary weight loss tool, it's a lifestyle.