Respected Contributor

Re: Lost my husband to complications of Alzheimers

@chihuahuamom wrote:

This is an awful disease.  We battled it for about 5 years (early onset). I know many who struggle with it for much longer. He was only 66.  There seems to be no history of it in his family.  He did play football in high school and college. I pray they find a cure for it very soon. It touches so many lives.

God bless you, and I'm so sorry for your loss! My grandfather suffered with it for many years! This was years before they called it anything but senility! It broke my heart as we were very close and I was the only one who didn't get cross with him for asking repetitive questions like what is the address here.. He would write it down and five mi Utes later, ask again! This was when he and my grandmother were staying with us for my wedding. The first night they were there I heard him get up from bed. I heard him go into the bathroom. When he came out I listened to make sure he found the bedroom they were sleeping in. I heard him go in there, but I didn't hear the bed make noise telling me he'd gotten back into bed. So, I went in only to find him standing by the bed. He told me he couldn't remember how to get into bed! So, from then on, I listened for him every night! I didn't mind, though. We became very close during those two weeks! He died two months later from complications of a fall. You are very gracious to worry about others while you are suffering your own loss! I agree, I hope they do find a cure. For me, it's selfish! My other grandfather died from "senility" at 71! I only have nine more years for that cure to be found! My doc won't test me for the clue that I'll get it because there is no cure! Please take care of yourself, too!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

This is an awful disease.  We battled it for about 5 years (early onset). I know many who struggle with it for much longer. He was only 66.  There seems to be no history of it in his family.  He did play football in high school and college. I pray they find a cure for it very soon. It touches so many lives.

@chihuahuamom Sorry for your loss. I have been dealing with my mother who has vascular dementia from tiny strokes over many years. Thank goodness she still recognizes me as we are very close. It is a horrible disease and loved ones suffer from seeing someone that was so capable and strong to being helpless and weak. I hope you take the time out to do something nice for yourself. 

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom

I am truly sorry for the loss of your husband.  I can only imagine the depth of your sorrow.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  My husband was diagnosed about 5 + years ago and I recently had to move him into a memory care unit.  I know it's something that we as family members learn to deal with at first....and then there is a sudden downhill slide.  It's a cruel disease.

Honored Contributor

My grandfather passed from it in the 80's.  He ended up in a nursing home and no longer knew us.  So sorry for your loss.

Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom  Love and light to you and yours.

Valued Contributor

How sweet all of you are!Heart Thank you.  I just thought I would post this in case someone else was dealing with this disease. Looks like many of you are or have.  If you want to "talk", I am here.

Honored Contributor

My deepest sympathy to you for your loss. May you be comforted in the days ahead.
Esteemed Contributor

I am very sorry for your loss.
Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom

I am sorry for your loss.

Alzheimers is horrible