Respected Contributor

Re: Lost My Crown Eating a Cherry Sour Ball - My Dentist is Booked

I just lost an onlay last week on a piece of hard candy. I was so lucky that my dentist had me come in right away and she was able to glue it right back on. It's good to know about the temporary fixes available over the counter! Missing crowns and onlays, although they typically don't hurt, feel WEIRD!

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 lolakimono said:

Fixing a Loose Crown or Filling without a Dentist

Many patients who have dental crowns or caps can appreciate the experience of having a nice crown pop off or fall off unexpectedly. Sticky candies and jelly beans in particular can pull off nearly any crown, regardless of how well it was cemented. A changing bite can also cause a cap to become dislodged and eventually fall off.

When this event occurs during late evening hours or, worse yet, during the weekend or during the holidays when a dentist isn't available it can become quite frustrating.

Leaving it off could damage the underlying structure and perhaps be painful. For those who are more daring and replace it "as is".... there is a slight danger of it falling off again and becoming swallowed.

Avoid Potential Toxins

Some patients are tempted (and some simply do) to use Super Glue type adhesives. The risk of introducing toxins directly into the oral cavity and onto the exposed tooth structure is something to be avoided.

Emergency Treatment Resources

Major drug store chains such as Walgreens and CVS carry some temporary adhesive products specifically made for the "do it yourself" crown re-attachment. Some of the products can be used to repair a bad filling.

All of the featured products below can be purchased for about $6.00 or less.

This kit can be found in Walgreens and CVS drug stores.

Recapit Dental Repair for Loose Caps:

Manufacturer Product Description: A unique, no mix cement made especially for replacing loose caps and crowns. Safe and so effective "you can eat on it"®.

crown cap glue

Dentist recommended

Eugenol free

No mixing, no waste

Maximum hold

Instant pain relief

Resealable

Clinically tested and guaranteed

8+ repairs

Another commonly available kit that can also be used to temporarily replace a failed filling.

Dentemp O.S. Maximum Strength Filling & Cap Repair:

Manufacturer Product Description: Provides fast relief of pain and discomfort until you can see your dentist. It is pleasant tasting, safe and so effective "you can eat on it".

No mixing, no waste

Recommended by dentists

Clinically tested

Dual-use: repairs both lost fillings & loose caps

8+ repairs

Another commonly available kit that can also be used to temporarily replace a failed filling.

DenTek Temparin Max Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair Maximum Hold:

Manufacturer Product Description: Designed to repair with the same ingredients dentists use. This is a temporary remedy meant to replace a lost filling, cap, crown or inlay until you have a chance to visit your dentist and should only be removed by a dental professional.

Fast drying no mix

Maximum strength complete repair

Instant pain relief

Safe to eat on

Clinically proven

Long applicator easily reaches back teeth

10+ repairs

A crown repair kit sold under the CVS brand available only in CVS drug stores.

CVS/pharmacy Temporary Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair:

Product Description: Designed to repair lost fillings with the same ingredients dentists use. This is a temporary remedy meant to replace a lost filling or inlay until you have a chance to visit your dentist and should only be removed by a dental professional..

Applicator easily reaches back teeth. CVS pharmacist recommended.

Fast drying no mix

Dentist strength

Relieves pain instantly

Safe to eat on

CVS pharmacist recommended

Applicator easily reaches back teeth

8+ repairs

Thanks Lola, I had no idea you could buy stuff like this. My problem is I rarely drive but I may have to try this. I hope I can figure out which way the crown goes back on and I need to figure out how to get the hardened candy off the crown. Do you think hot water might soak it off? I need to find out if the crown is still in one piece.

Are these fixes permanent or do I still need to go to the dentist?

Honored Contributor

If you don't want to go to another dentist go to your dentist Mon to have it re-cemented. Don't eat on that side. You don't want to damage that tooth since it's weakened from the root canal. I have had a crown on a tooth with a root canal come off & had it re-cemented with no problems. It was years down the road but not 40 yrs. I have also had a tooth that had a root canal & a crown that I ended up having pulled because it was too far gone to begin with & should have never wasted all that money. My dentist can always fit you in for an emergency such as this. Cannot believe your dentist cannot fit you in. It does not take long to re-cement a crown. It only takes a few mins to x-ray that one tooth & the dentist does not do that.

Honored Contributor

On 6/24/2014 luvmyteddy said:
On 6/24/2014 lolakimono said:

Fixing a Loose Crown or Filling without a Dentist

Many patients who have dental crowns or caps can appreciate the experience of having a nice crown pop off or fall off unexpectedly. Sticky candies and jelly beans in particular can pull off nearly any crown, regardless of how well it was cemented. A changing bite can also cause a cap to become dislodged and eventually fall off.

When this event occurs during late evening hours or, worse yet, during the weekend or during the holidays when a dentist isn't available it can become quite frustrating.

Leaving it off could damage the underlying structure and perhaps be painful. For those who are more daring and replace it "as is".... there is a slight danger of it falling off again and becoming swallowed.

Avoid Potential Toxins

Some patients are tempted (and some simply do) to use Super Glue type adhesives. The risk of introducing toxins directly into the oral cavity and onto the exposed tooth structure is something to be avoided.

Emergency Treatment Resources

Major drug store chains such as Walgreens and CVS carry some temporary adhesive products specifically made for the "do it yourself" crown re-attachment. Some of the products can be used to repair a bad filling.

All of the featured products below can be purchased for about $6.00 or less.

This kit can be found in Walgreens and CVS drug stores.

Recapit Dental Repair for Loose Caps:

Manufacturer Product Description: A unique, no mix cement made especially for replacing loose caps and crowns. Safe and so effective "you can eat on it"®.

crown cap glue

Dentist recommended

Eugenol free

No mixing, no waste

Maximum hold

Instant pain relief

Resealable

Clinically tested and guaranteed

8+ repairs

Dentemp O.S. Maximum Strength Filling & Cap Repair:

Manufacturer Product Description: Provides fast relief of pain and discomfort until you can see your dentist. It is pleasant tasting, safe and so effective "you can eat on it".

No mixing, no waste

Recommended by dentists

Clinically tested

Dual-use: repairs both lost fillings & loose caps

8+ repairs

DenTek Temparin Max Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair Maximum Hold:

Manufacturer Product Description: Designed to repair with the same ingredients dentists use. This is a temporary remedy meant to replace a lost filling, cap, crown or inlay until you have a chance to visit your dentist and should only be removed by a dental professional.

Fast drying no mix

Maximum strength complete repair

Instant pain relief

Safe to eat on

Clinically proven

Long applicator easily reaches back teeth

10+ repairs

A crown repair kit sold under the CVS brand available only in CVS drug stores.

CVS/pharmacy Temporary Lost Filling & Loose Cap Repair:

Product Description: Designed to repair lost fillings with the same ingredients dentists use. This is a temporary remedy meant to replace a lost filling or inlay until you have a chance to visit your dentist and should only be removed by a dental professional..

Applicator easily reaches back teeth. CVS pharmacist recommended.

Fast drying no mix

Dentist strength

Relieves pain instantly

Safe to eat on

CVS pharmacist recommended

Applicator easily reaches back teeth

8+ repairs

Thanks Lola, I had no idea you could buy stuff like this. My problem is I rarely drive but I may have to try this. I hope I can figure out which way the crown goes back on and I need to figure out how to get the hardened candy off the crown. Do you think hot water might soak it off? I need to find out if the crown is still in one piece.

Are these fixes permanent or do I still need to go to the dentist?

You don't want to fix it yourself if any of these products are permanent which I don't think they are but not sure as I have never used any of them. You still need to go to the dentist. You don't want any bacteria left under that crown that will cause problems.

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 Nightowlz said:

If you don't want to go to another dentist go to your dentist Mon to have it re-cemented. Don't eat on that side. You don't want to damage that tooth since it's weakened from the root canal. I have had a crown on a tooth with a root canal come off & had it re-cemented with no problems. It was years down the road but not 40 yrs. I have also had a tooth that had a root canal & a crown that I ended up having pulled because it was too far gone to begin with & should have never wasted all that money. My dentist can always fit you in for an emergency such as this. Cannot believe your dentist cannot fit you in. It does not take long to re-cement a crown. It only takes a few mins to x-ray that one tooth & the dentist does not do that.

Normally they would but they told me my dentist just came back from back surgery and they are booked, even the other guy playing catch up. Wouldn't you know!

Frequent Contributor

I used to manage a dental practice. I would advise any patient in the same situation to chew on the other side, keep food away from the site and keep the area very clean. Rinse with warm salt water and clean the area very gently. Take iubprofen as needed and wait until you can be seen. Those self fixes aren't a good idea. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Normally they would but they told me my dentist just came back from back surgery and they are booked, even the other guy playing catch up. Wouldn't you know!

I forgot to say I would go ahead & soak the crown in water to see if the candy will come off. You want to be careful with the crown so you don't damage it. If you get all the candy off you could always use a dab of fixadent or polygrip to temporarily put the crown back on.

Regular Contributor

Hi--I am a dental asst. & we've had many patients with this problem. As another poster said you can temporally recement the crown with a product called Dent Temp which you can buy at any drugstore. It's usually under 6.00. Since the tooth had a root canal you should't have any pain. The only thing you have to worry about is the tooth may be compromised when you eat since a lot of the tooth structure was taken away in order for the crown to go over the tooth. For this reason I would recommend you use temporary cement. If you can't see your regular dentist maybe you can go to another for this. Most offices will charge a reasonable fee to do a recement of a crown. If the tooth has decay the doctor will suggest extraction. If you go to a oral surgeon for this the price won't be cheap. A lot of general dentists won't do extractions so you may have no choice but to see an oral surgeon. You will have to weigh the cost of a crown versus the cost of extraction & see what works best for your budget. In my office & most other offices they have a credit card program called Care Credit where you can use this card at the dental office & not pay interest charges for 6 months. Ask your dentist about this. That may help you to make your decision. Good luck with everything. I hope all goes well for you. Kat

Respected Contributor

"The other guy, dentist I presume, is playing catch up"? Tell the office to recommend another dentist for you to go to if this 'guy' is too busy and your dentist is booked. It's ridiculous. Take charge of the situation.

Trusted Contributor

Same thing happened to me twice. My dentist said to dampen the crown with saliva and press it back on as soon as possible. He said the longer I waited the harder it would be for him to cement it back on. Do you think rinsing the candy with hot water would melt it off the crown? Have you tried that?