Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Are you overweight @SeaMaiden by ten pounds? If you aren't, you will probably lose in every place BUT your stomach. I weighed in at 122 this morning and I am 5'8. I do not have a flat stomach, no matter how much lower I go. It is just where I put on any excess fat since menopause.

---------------------------

This is me too. I'm thin but things have "shifted".

@tucsongal. I am also 5'8" tall.....I weigh 141 this morning.....  I wear a size 6/8 right now.  I would like to weigh 131- 135.  

You must be very slender as when I weighed in at 122  three years ago and was wearing a size 2  after all my joint replacement surgeries I looked too thin for my frame or build.  I had no fat on my body at all and  I did not have belly.    I got the belly the  last two years.  Not from eating wrong, there was just a shift in my metabolism.  And the added pounds....  At least that is what I think.....  I also think that getting so thin after my surgeries did something to make gaining the weight back easier.  

------------

@SeaMaiden, Trinity11 is the person who is 5'8". I'm actually 5'4" and weigh 112, but my body type is a small pear. I've always said that I would gladly weigh more if it went where I wanted 😎. Any weight I gain now goes straight to my belly which isn't healthy. Your lifestyle choices are admirable!

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing 10 pounds

[ Edited ]

I just turned 62 this year. I experienced weightloss when I eliminated cheese and white carbs from my diet. No white or whole wheat  flour anything and no sugar in my house. I got rid of all condiments in my fridge...this includes ketchup, fancy mustards, mayo, bottle dressings...you get the idea. It's a boring fridge for sure.

Be careful what you wish for. Older people lose facial fat rapidly when they lose weight and it's very evident.

Esteemed Contributor

I am 70 years old and have lost 72 lbs in over a year. I walk 6 miles 4-5 days a week. I drink water and do not drink sodas. i do watch what I eat but I think some people go to extreme and your body starts storing fat when it feels it is starving. I say just keep track of what you eat and try not to deprive yourself. I think the rule is eat 80% healthy and 20% what you desire. Just don't go crazy and gain all the weight back. I think when you deny yourself a treat, you may start binge eating.

Sometimes we do not realize how much we eat. Thinking that we are eating healthy. If you weigh your food, you may find out that you are eating too much of a certain food. I think when we diet, we do more harm than good. Everybody's metabolism is different and  reacts to different foods.

If you lose 1lb per week, that is good and you can maintain your weight loss. We try to lose weight rapidly and therefore sabotage ourselves. I know you can do it. Just keep up the motivation and move forward.

Honored Contributor

I do pilates and yoga for exercise and usually don't gain weight unless I eat meat regularly. I do like sweets, but I only eat a fraction of whatever the dessert is. If you can believe it, oatmeal gives me heartburn! I lose weight even at my age very easily. If I cut calories I'll lose 10 lbs. in 2 weeks, my Dad was like that too. If I get sick I will lose a pound a day. I got a head cold last winter and lost 7 lbs. in 7 days. I have to be very careful I don't get dehydrated. I really think caloric intake determines weight gain or loss. I don't think it matters if you eat 1200 calories worth of pasta a day or candy, you will lose weight you just won't be very healthy.

Honored Contributor

@elated   Wow! That is so wonderful you losing that weight in such a healthy way!👍👍👏🤗

Honored Contributor

Just scanning this thread, I see lots of good tips, but since you asked what has worked for each of us, I'll share my story.

At the end of March, I felt I needed to make some changes to lose 10 pounds.  Yes, I've always been physically active and eaten a healthy diet.  I've used a Fitbit for many years, and my average steps/day has been about 14,000.    

I started using My Fitness Pal again.  Tried it a few years ago and found it too time consuming.  They've improved it a lot since then.  I also added yoga to my routine.  I avoided it in the past, because I didn't think I'd see any benefits from it.  Was I ever wrong!  I'm now regularly doing yoga 4-5 days a week.

I reached my 10 pound weight loss goal some time ago, and decided to go for another 5.  Got there, and set a new goal to lose 5 more pounds.  I'm 1pound away from that and hope to hit it by the end of this week.  

When I get there, I'm going to weigh what my driver's license says I weigh!

Respected Contributor

Well honestly, I am 59 and have lost 58 pounds on Weight Watchers. If I had to guess on your struggles, it looks to me that you are not taking in enough calories. Starving yourself or exercising yourself thin is not the way to go. With all the exercise and low calories your metabolism may be in starvation mode, Trying to hold onto what you have because you are not eating enough. Stick to whole foods, pump up your calories and I bet you will lose weight. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Well honestly, I am 59 and have lost 58 pounds on Weight Watchers. If I had to guess on your struggles, it looks to me that you are not taking in enough calories. Starving yourself or exercising yourself thin is not the way to go. With all the exercise and low calories your metabolism may be in starvation mode, Trying to hold onto what you have because you are not eating enough. Stick to whole foods, pump up your calories and I bet you will lose weight. 

@conlt  Interesting...have to think about how much I am eating  and I do skip meals.

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing 10 pounds

[ Edited ]

@september congratulations! That is impressive. You have a good plan of action👍

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@september congratulations! That is impressive. You have a good plan of action👍

Thanks.  I'm a bit surprised, as I've been trying to drop these stubborn pounds for several years and haven't succeeded until now.  

I see a poster a few posts back(sorry, am on the iPad and can't easily see who it was)suggested you might not be eating enough.  I do agree.  I have a friend who eats very little and is very active and not losing as she thinks she should be. 

I suggested she try MyFitnessPal, but she thinks it's too cumbersome. It may seem that way at first,  it does break down what you're taking in, into fats, proteins, and carbs.  I think it helps to see that.  I struggle to keep the protein higher while eating fewer fats and carbs. But the more I manage this...the better my weight loss results are.