Honored Contributor

Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

I need some snack suggestions and hoping you can give me some inspiration!

I have been trying to lose a few pounds and am having a terrible time.  I was doing well, eating regular meals and not eating in between and not eating candy, etc.  Now, I am starting to fall back into my same habits again of wanting to have something to snack on in the evening as I am watching a bit of tv.  

I know this is not good to do and honestly I have been trying and trying, but I just need something to snack on!

Any suggestions for some things that are healthy --- lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, no cholesterol or very little cholesterol, etc.  I would like a snack that isn't like one bite and then gone.  Maybe something with some crunch??? I am trying to stay away from a lot of sugar, fake sweeteners and chocolate. I am a chocolate addict -- once I get a taste of it - it sets me off!

Any suggestions???  You can tell me --- don't snack --- no, no, no!  I know that!  But I'm getting to the point where I am going to eat a snack and I want something --- so --- bring on your suggestions, pretty please!!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

@AngelPuppy1 

Have you thought about always having a container of sliced veggies and fruits in the frig?

For the veggies you can have a small bowl of light dressing  or dip to dip the veggies in if you don’t want to eat them plain.

It would be healthy and you can eat all you want without worry about gaining weight.

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

Greek Yogurt. Look for fat free, sugar free low carb.   Many varieties out there today in the stores.   Very high in protein! Sweeten with stevia or monk  fruit...

You could add unsweetened strawberries or the like... or raw nuts for texture...healthy, high fiber snack.  Or for less calories just eat plain.  About 100 calories a cup on average.

Trusted Contributor

I try to keep all of these in my kitchen

• Yogurt
  • Sugar Free Jello Cups (takes care of my sweet craving)
  • Cucumbers/Peppers and Hummus
  • Chick Pea chips
  • Parm Crisps (or the cheddar version)
  • Cheese Sticks (personally I only eat full fat cheese)
  • Lettuce roll-up (Green Leaf Lettuce, Turkey)
  • Apples (very good - slice, sprinkle with Cinnamom and microwave for 1-2 minutes)
  • Healthy unsalted nuts
  • Popcorn (not microwave bags - put kernels in a brown lunch sack and microwave)

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I will follow this thread for suggestions.  I am not really overweight but if I lost 10lbs or less I would be happy.  

My problem is my last cholesterol blood test was 250!!  Yikes.  I have no idea what I am eating that made the number jump.  I need to make an appt. with my doctor to discuss this.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everything is going to have calories. I think some of the most nutritious calories are in nuts, which is what I generally snack on. Healthy fats & protein. (As long as you're not allergic to them.)

For me, I do not want fruit -- which I already eat for breakfast. Nor do I want vegetables, which I eat at other times. I need something to crunch on, which also fills in any hunger gaps.

I've maintained my weight for years & years (whatever it is - I can tell by my clothes). But then again, I burn up calories w/ daily walking & other activity.

I know some eat rice cakes, which are crunchy & low in calories. Somehow I never got them.

Maybe a bit of hard cheese? A few crackers? Especially at night. But nuts are good for nighttime snacking, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Rice cakes.  Quaker Oats has a variety which are lo-cal and low in sodium. @AngelPuppy1 

Even chocolate!

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Night time snacking is my nemesis too!  😩  If I'm craving crunch:

I take 1 or 2 Wasa crisps, add a slice of Veggie cheese (or 1 slice regular)  add  tomato slices and melt it in the microwave. Or I just put a piece of turkey or chicken on it.  Frozen grapes, toasted chickpeas, air popped popcorn  or I make a  yogurt bowl with a handful of a healthier crunchy cereal mixed in.   For sweet other than fresh  fruit:  I keep   low cal fudge or 80 calorie Caramel frozen yogurt pops, or  to unsweetened applesauce I add cinnamon and Apple pie spice or I make a smoothie with almond milk, berries or half a banana,  add coconut any flavor extract and ice. 

My nutritionist told me when I wasn't eating complete meals or enough healthy fats or when I'm tired/ stressed  then I get into the snacking habit. I think just turning the tv on at night and relaxing   makes me want a snack lol 

Honored Contributor

Popcorn is my go to---there are many flavored salts ---- spray some cooking spray on it so the salt sticks----and then if i need sweet, I eat a couple spoons of yogurt. also try brushing your teeth if you feel munching--that helps me too

Honored Contributor

Keep hard boiled eggs in fridge,  protein shakes, of course veggies,fruit.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.