Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

@phoenixbrd Solid.

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

@KaySD   Thanks....I've been eating like this for many years constantly refining and reflecting.  Just got blood test results back...encouraged to keep doing what I'm doing!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd   would love your hummus recipe.  I would like to make my own.  Love it with carrots, etc.   Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@nyc1   So simple and so good!  I don't make recipes, I have been making my food for so long and love to get creative in the kitchen, so I rarely measure anything.  It is so easy to meal plan with whole foods....it always comes out delicious!

I looked online for you to find a recipe similar to mine to give you measurement references, there are lots. Simnett Nutrition: Three Easy Oil Free Recipes on Y.T. listed the ingrediants with measurements and you can watch him make it on YT.

I generally make mine in the blender but a food processer would be great also. Another difference is I use Tasty Salt instead of regular salt...the taste is the same.  The aqua faba is just the juice from the can of chick peas and it makes your hummus creamy (instead of using oil). Tahini is a store staple at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods has a 365 Version.  If you want to get fancy you can add chopped kalamata olives or some pine nuts (an optional treat!).  I always sprinkle smoked paperika on top (just like potato salad)...besides looking festive it is yummy!

Let me know how you like it! There are few ingrediants and after the first time you will be a pro.  If I need a snack, it is perfect with crudites.  It's a staple in our fridge.

Simnett Nutrition -  Y.T. Three Easy Oil Free Hummus Recipies:

Basic recipe

1 can of Chickpeas (approx. 1 cup of cooked chickpeas) 1 tbsp baking soda 2 cloves of garlic 2-3 tbsp aqua faba 1 tbsp tahini 1/2 Lemon (juice) 1/2 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp onion powder 1/4 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp pepper 1/4 tsp salt

Happy hummus making!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd    OMG ... you are SO KIND to put that all together for me.  THANK YOU SO MUCH.  I will definitely be making this weekend.  I rarely ever measure as well.  I LOVE to cook and a lot of what I do is by instinct.   I actually had to look up aquafaba.  In all my years of cooking, I've never come across that term.   Learned something new today!

Valued Contributor

@phoenixbrd Thank you for your recipe! I made this tonight and added roasted red peppers. So good! ! And so easy to make. I had tahini I just never new quite what to do with it.  

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs The same thing haplened to me last year. All my bloodwork was fine except the cholesterol.  I was eating particularly healthy, no snacking etc  The only thing i did have 6 weeks prior was a huge piece of wedding cake. The doctor told me up to  6 weeks before your test can affect the number. I don't know if that's entirely accurate but long story short....I didnt want meds so fast either so we planned to retest me 3 months later. My  number was fine. And has been ever since. 

Hope when you retest it will be just a one time too...

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks@@

@DianeJ2 So glad you liked it....roasted red peppers are a fav!

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks@@

I want to thank everyone for your wonderful posts!  I appreciate all the good tips and ideas!  I have a lot of new information to get me going again!  I know the best thing is to not snack -- at all -- and I was doing that for a long time.  But lately, I've gotten burned out and was starting to backslide and eat extra things that are not good for me at all.  I didn't want to keep going there and figured it would be better to eat a small snack which is healthier rather than to deprive myself totally!  I know some will say - well, if t.v. is setting you off, then just turn the t.v. off!  At night, I love to watch some Netflix and so I really don't want to stop doing that!  I am going to try to use some of the healthier snacks which you all have suggested and see how I do!  Thanks again -- and I so appreciate the support I receive from everyone!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Popcorn is my go to---there are many flavored salts ---- spray some cooking spray on it so the salt sticks----and then if i need sweet, I eat a couple spoons of yogurt. also try brushing your teeth if you feel munching--that helps me too

i use the spray "butter" stuff, for my air pop corn. salt stick and pretty good faux butter flavor.