Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

@AngelPuppy1   I understand.  After reading the posts, it is clear that we each find an individual solution that appeals and works for us.

I choose not to eat high fat - meat/dairy/oil - or sugar. I basically don't snack any more because I find that I am satiated with the lunch/dinner that I eat.  (Added benefit, my blood sugar does not spike continually which enhances weight gain and less snacking encourages autophagy.)

However if needed,  I have sliced veggies available which I enjoy.  I make a hummus in the. blender with chickpeas, lemon, garlic, and smoked paprika's.  I also might snack on fresh fruit if hungry....especially melon or an apple or celery with a tablespoon of peanut butter.

Weight loss/health is a journey that takes many paths.  The determining factor for me is fresh unprocessed food that is low cal, low fat (exception a few nuts/seeds or tbsp of nut butter), high nutrition, and delicious.  Wishing you success in finding what works for you👍🏼  

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions for healthy lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, low or no cholesterol snacks

@Mom2Dogs    If this was  your first time with your number spiked, with no prior indication, you may have had some high cholesterol foods the day(s) prior,  that could spike  your level.  Before you go on any meds,  maybe take a look at what you're eating.  Also,  Andrew Lessman Cholesterol capsules have received stellar reviews.  You may want to check into those as well.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1   Thanks for the head up...and yes my idea is to NOT go on any prescribed drugs.  I know the body can manufacture cholesterol...dh and I eat virtually the same thing but I eat less and he eats ICE CREAM daily, his numbers were low.

Most times when I eat out, it's a steak salad rarely do I order a steak or other meat, except occasionally chicken.

Edited to add the test was fasting, I had a number of blood tests run the same day, that was only one that was high.

Honored Contributor

I don’t have an answer for YOU but I will say that the key for me was finding a snack that didn’t set off a binge - something that I liked but didn’t trigger overeating (like junk food typically does). For me, those snacks are:

a few (key: a few) pretzel crisps and hummus
Carrot or cucumber and hummus
The above except with tzatziki instead of hummus
String cheese
Hard boiled egg with everything bagel seasoning
Egg Life cinnamon egg wrap with PBJ
Turkey roll up with cheese, mustard, dill pickle
Air popcorn
Honored Contributor

I love the low salt plain rice cakes.  Just by itself with no topping or dipping.  I keep some at home and in my office.  Salsa is a perfect dip if needed since most salsa's are only 15 calories per serving.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Something that works for me is the Atkins chocolate peanut butter bars.  They are small, but I find them very good and filling.

Also, I'll get 2 slices of cheese, fold it over in half, then into quarters.  I'll then take the small 1/4 and lay a Triscuit on that and have a total of 6 of them which I believe is a serving.  This gives me the sweet taste with the bar AND the crunch I'm wanting.

HTH and good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Hey,  I think you're on to something. It's not the food, it's the dratted television. I, too, seem to start craving something as soon as I start watching. Or I start a snack and then go find something to watch, because I can't eat and do anything else at the same time. These are permicious habit pairs. And eating better snacks doesn't brek the habit. And we can't get rid of food. Maybe we should get rid of our TVs instead, and go do things that aren't compatible with eating--knitting, or bubble baths, or walks, or scrubbing things, or painting, or training the dog, or writing. With a pen and paper. I sure can imagine life without TV easier than life without potato chips! Whadda ya think? Smiley Wink

Meanwhile, maybe we should also stop calling that food we eat while watching a "snack." That makes it sound like a little thing. Often, it's hundreds and hundreds of calories. Just keeping it real. Instead, maybe we should call it what it is: a fourth meal, or an extra feast, or a binge blowout, or a fat-building exercise, or a sedentary engorgement. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   My husband also had a blood test with fasting and his levels were elevated above his normal levels.  His doctor recommended meds, but we said NOT SO FAST ...  primarily because ths was the first time it happened and it was only slightly above the acceptable level.  I ordered the Lessman Cholesterol pills, and he takes 2 after his lunch and dinner.  He's scheduled for another test in about 5 weeks (which will be 90 days after his initial reading).  We'll see.  Good luck with your numbers. 

Honored Contributor

@KaySD   Excellent insights.  I've replaced all evening tv snacks with a mug of  almond milk and pero with chocolate stevia sweet drops.  It serves as my dessert and is my signal that eating time is over. It's been a game changer for me, no more night snacking. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I need some snack suggestions and hoping you can give me some inspiration!

I have been trying to lose a few pounds and am having a terrible time.  I was doing well, eating regular meals and not eating in between and not eating candy, etc.  Now, I am starting to fall back into my same habits again of wanting to have something to snack on in the evening as I am watching a bit of tv.  

I know this is not good to do and honestly I have been trying and trying, but I just need something to snack on!

Any suggestions for some things that are healthy --- lo-cal, lo-fat, or fat free, no cholesterol or very little cholesterol, etc.  I would like a snack that isn't like one bite and then gone.  Maybe something with some crunch??? I am trying to stay away from a lot of sugar, fake sweeteners and chocolate. I am a chocolate addict -- once I get a taste of it - it sets me off!

Any suggestions???  You can tell me --- don't snack --- no, no, no!  I know that!  But I'm getting to the point where I am going to eat a snack and I want something --- so --- bring on your suggestions, pretty please!!!!! 

@AngelPuppy1 Try adjusting your evening meal. Try and get a good mixture of fat, carbohydrates and protein. If you are eating a high glycemic diet, you will be hungry round the clock and crave sweets and snacks. 

After dinner, I have a cup of decaf coffee with half and half. That's it. It's a habit and I haven't snacked in thirty years because of it. Since I don't eat a lot of carbohydrates at dinner, I don't crave them two hours later. It's a vicious cycle and definitely often responsible for the blood sugar swings that come from a high carbohydrate diet causing the desire to snack. (In susceptible individuals)