Honored Contributor

Re: Looking For A New Dentist

This year we signed up with Humana Dental insurance @$23.99/mth. I'm on Medicare and so far my dental needs are all met. My last appointment included a cleaning and xrays. No cost to me. Next year, OP why don't you sign up with a dental insurance. I surely feel that $24/month isn't expensive! 

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I went through a couple of really high priced dentists after my long term dentist retired.  Then his son opened his own practice and what a blessing.  Clay gives a 5% discount if you pay cash instead of using a credit card and all seniors get 5% for being a senior.  Even though I have not reached that age yet he gave me that discount one day on top of my cash discount because he forgot about my 8:30 appt. and he did not get there until 9:00.  I hope you find a good one soon.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

FYI............dental insurance can differ from region to region. Some DDS won't take Medicare, some don't give discounts on cash payment. Some procedures, the more expensive ones, aren't covered. Do your homework. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, do your homework. A crown where I live is ~$1500. I doubt a policy where you pay only $23/month would cover crowns. Mostly the coverage is for cleaning & xrays. 

My company policy, where I have dental insurance, is very limited on covering crowns. I  have to add $ to before taxes to pay for this expense.

Honored Contributor

Dentists have become commercial, money-generating machines.  Mine retired and sold his practice to a large corporation, which seems to be the trend.  Everytime I went to the new people, there was a different dentist from, I think, the bottom of the barrel.  I quit going and am looking for one not affiliated with a corporation but they're scarce as hen's teeth.  They're all about the money anymore, pressuring you to have questionable work done on their "treatment plans".  If they quoted prices, they'd scare everyone away.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dentistry is a profession whereby you need 4 years undergrad + 4 years dental school. A lot of tuition to pay for as well as set-up a practice. But, I agree there are very few "deals" in dentistry.

The best is, if it's available to you. is go to a dental school and have work done. The students practice under a DDS and the DDS is there to help and even do the work, depending on what's needed. Cleaning, xrays, not. More involved, yes.

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

FYI............dental insurance can differ from region to region. Some DDS won't take Medicare, some don't give discounts on cash payment. Some procedures, the more expensive ones, aren't covered. Do your homework. 

@ahoymate.  Medicare doesn't cover care for routine dental care.  That's why dentists don't take Medicare.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My Medicare Advantage plan offers dental insurance for $15.00 a month. 

Respected Contributor

8 years of school is for a general dentist. Specialites, root canal, implants etc., many more years of training.

Respected Contributor

What does $15/month provide you? Not much I suspect.