Regular Contributor

Re: Lo-Bak Trax

[ Edited ]

While I believe if you have no other health issues this device will help, I urge everyone using it to carefully read the enclosed information. I must admit that's not my strong suit but I did read the info that came with it.

I saw the presentation and they never specifically spoke of the ailments where it shouldn't be used.

I have an aortic aneurysm. Had I used it he aneurysm could have ruptured and killed me. When I sent it back I mentioned this to CS but I have yet to hear this info presented.

My problem was discovered by accident some years ago. I would wonder what would happen if others have this issue and are unaware,

Honored Contributor

@mysterylady wrote:

While I believe if you have no other health issues this device will help, I urge everyone using it to carefully read the enclosed information. I must admit that's not my strong suit but I did read the info that came with it.

I saw the presentation and they never specifically spoke of the ailments where it shouldn't be used.

I have an aortic aneurysm. Had I used it he aneurysm could have ruptured and killed me. When I sent it back I mentioned this to CS but I have yet to hear this info presented.

My problem was discovered by accident some years ago. I would wonder what would happen if others have this issue and are unaware,

There is information included in the instructions as to who should not use the device, or check with their doctor. I came across the instructions this afternoon. I only noted, however, things that might be relevant to me personally; I didn't notce whether they specifically mentioned aneurysm by name. They did say to take care regarding being healthy enough to use pressure on the handles, and not to use it f you have a rotator cuff tear, for example, or there is any reason that pressure cannot be brought to bear on the thighs.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Just a thought....have you ever used/considered a teeter hang-up inversion table?  I love it and really relieves the pressure in my lower back.  I'll also check out the lo-back trax.  I also do simple stretching exercises and tai-chi which helps a lot. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Moonchilde  Just a thought....have you ever used/considered a teeter hang-up inversion table?  I love it and really relieves the pressure in my lower back.  I'll also check out the lo-back trax.  I also do simple stretching exercises and tai-chi which helps a lot. Good luck!

@phoenixbrd, I haven't, because of the price and the fact that while I need "something" to help me help myself, my issues aren't so bad they need something that ambitious, I guess I'd say ;-) I also have high blood pressure and don't think head-down would be healthy for me. I also tried out an inversion device many years ago and it freaked me out that I had quite a bit of trouble getting myself right side up again. I thought - "no way if I'm by myself!"

Super Contributor

I use it and find it helpful but only occassionally now.  Like you I have a lot of tightness, paticularly when I feel stressed, in my back and hips which leads to pain in those areas.  

You may want to look for a used model.   I saw 1 on our Craigs List for $10 a few weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

@claros wrote:

I use it and find it helpful but only occassionally now.  Like you I have a lot of tightness, paticularly when I feel stressed, in my back and hips which leads to pain in those areas.  

You may want to look for a used model.   I saw 1 on our Craigs List for $10 a few weeks ago.

I did consider a used one - I saw them on ebay - but many were without the DVDs, instructions, etc - and of course, no returns. So I just decided to buy from QVC. The price is identical (down to the free shipping) to Amazon's price through the company.

Respected Contributor

I don't have one, but I tried the "broom stick" approach and folded a soft throw across my thighs underneath it. I have degenerative disc disease that causes me minor lower back pain only if I overwork my back (a lot of bending, housework, etc.). I found that this method actually made my lower back hurt more, so I'm glad I didn't purchase the gizmo.

What has been helping me for years is wearing an old-fashioned corset (with bone and hooks) that covers my entire torso. When my back acts up, I wear it for a few hours or most of the day. It feels good in keeping my back straight, prevents me from twisting, and improves my posture. By the time I take it off, the pain is usually completely gone.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I don't have one, but I tried the "broom stick" approach and folded a soft throw across my thighs underneath it. I have degenerative disc disease that causes me minor lower back pain only if I overwork my back (a lot of bending, housework, etc.). I found that this method actually made my lower back hurt more, so I'm glad I didn't purchase the gizmo.

What has been helping me for years is wearing an old-fashioned corset (with bone and hooks) that covers my entire torso. When my back acts up, I wear it for a few hours or most of the day. It feels good in keeping my back straight, prevents me from twisting, and improves my posture. By the time I take it off, the pain is usually completely gone.

I have used a corset recommended by my physical therapist, @SaRina. It does help, but it only extends me being pain-free while on my feet for about 45 min. I had hoped for much more - like 2-4 hrs, but it didn't keep me without pain for that long. Also, when I'm out in public, I had to take it off and put it on again any time I needed to use the restroom, which was somewhat inconvenient.

I will try again with a back brace, but I will try a smaller one.

Respected Contributor

Re: Lo-Bak Trax

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde, the one I wear doesn't hinder any activities. Granted, it's not "orthopedic-grade", which you may need, but it always amazes me how wearing it for a few hours helps me when my lower back acts up. I've worn it to work. It's comfortable enough to sit in and I can use the restroom -- either I wear bikinis below the bottom of the corset or you can have your underwear over the corset. Mine looks similar to this, maybe an inch or two shorter.  It's a stretchy latex type material -- not a hard waist cincher -- it just provides firm support.

Product Details

Amazon also shows a variety of "lumbar support wraps", which look interesting. I think I might try one of these.

Product DetailsProduct Details

Honored Contributor

@SaRina, the one I have is like your bottom left photo.