Esteemed Contributor

Listen to experienced experts

I had a total left knee replacement two weeks ago. It is still very stiff and painful but my healing is proceeding normally. The one night I spent in the hospital turned out to be a good experience because my roommate and I really hit it off. We've been in touch and will get together when we're both able.

One thing that happened in the hospital is haunting me. My new friend debated the nurses because she did not want to take blood thinner. One of the risks of knee replacement is blood clotting so drugs like Eloquis are routinely prescribed for a month. Last night my roommate texted me. She has two small clots in her leg. I said nothing about her initial refusal to take a blood thinner because she told me she is now on two meds.  All I wrote was to listen to the doctors and nurses, take the prescription medications, and take care of herself. I think she's listening to them now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Listen to experienced experts

@Vivian 

That's pretty neat that you got a new knee and a new friend at the same time!

I hope that both of you have a complete and normal recovery. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian, I remember patients who refused blood thinners after surgeries as well as strokes. They were adamant and often suffered consequences. 

Honored Contributor

I had my right knee replaced in December.  Prior to surgery, I took no meds except for Vitamin D which was needed and prescribed.

After surgery, I had to take two baby aspirins a day for 30 days to avoid clots.   I didn't want to, but felt it was important.  

My sister developed a clot after hip surgery and even had to get an IVP filter because she needed additional surgery on her back.  It was horrible.  This is nothing to mess with.

I was fortunate, I was in a private hospital room...no room mates.  All surgical rooms were private.

@Vivian   I wish you a speedy recovery.  I am seven weeks out and feel terrific.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN In the last few years I've had 2 surgeries and a number of admissions for a chronic problem caused by surgical adhesions.

I'm always given a shot to prevent blood clotting. It is always explained to me in detail the necessity for the medication and I wouldn't think of debating this! Who needs to risk havng a  blood clot?

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian 

Hopefully your new friend finds out the real danger of blood clots, anywhere in the body. Many do not kill, but they can change a person's life forever. Those changes are never for the positive. 

If there is 1 prescribed medication that should never be omitted, blood thinners are right up there towards the top. How a person thinks, "oh I feel just fine", I don't need them! I lost a very good friend for that exact reasoning.

Hope your recovery goes along smoothly for you. Nice of you to think of your new friend.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forgot to mention that right after she came into our room, my roommate was refusing pain killer. She said Tylenol would be enough for her. She very quickly changed her mind. Anyone who has gone through this painful surgery knows that everyone needs something stronger. It was the most painful surgery I ever had and that includes two cancers and two children. She's such a nice, friendly woman. Why did she do this to herself?

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago my Aunt, my Mom's twin sister, had a knee replacement surgery.  One of her doctors highly advised against it.  Another one said it was okay.  She had the surgery and got out of the hospital.

Shortly after that, my Dad, my Mom, and my Aunt were walking into a movie theater lobby when my Aunt collapsed.  She never regained consciousness.

Blood clot.

Scary for sure.  Something I will always remember if and when I am in for similar surgeries.  I hope the OP and her new friend recover quickly.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

So good that you made a new friend. I'm happy your recovery is going well. Yes. Peoplr shouldn't play doctor under circumstances like that. She knows she made a mistake, you were smart in not rubbing it in.  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I believe Al Roker this last time after many other surgeries came down with blood clots, and when he came back , he said it was the toughest recovery.You never know what could or would be with your recovery. We all just hope for the best.