Honored Contributor

List of meds affecting blood sugar. Don’t forget the effect of meds on blood sugar

[ Edited ]

Here’s a listing of all U.S. meds that affect blood sugar levels. You can check for the meds you take and of course you can speak with your physician and pharmacist if you have further questions. Among the classes of medications are steroids, diuretics, statins, antibiotics (and the infections they treat). http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/390-Drugs-That-Can-Affect-Blood-Sugars-F...

Honored Contributor

Re: List of meds affecting blood sugar. Don’t forget the effect of meds on blood sugar

@Mindy D I've been aware of these for years thanks to my PCP and oncologist. I am one who keeps up to date so I didn't check out the list.

I know what works for my situation thanks to my medical providers.

Honored Contributor

Re: List of meds affecting blood sugar. Don’t forget the effect of meds on blood sugar

[ Edited ]

I already knew Big Pharma made drugs that cause diabetes etc etc etc. They are in business to make massive amounts of money.

Who knew there were so many. Makes me literally sick to my stomach. I won't want to take any of these.

This must be how my dad ended up diabetic in his 60's. He was on Statin drugs which I know cause diabetes. No other family history of diabetes?

Thyroid medication is on the list. If it caused diabetes I think I would already be diabetic since I have been taking it at least half my life.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Mindy D I've been aware of these for years thanks to my PCP and oncologist. I am one who keeps up to date so I didn't check out the list.

I know what works for my situation thanks to my medical providers.

@Love my grandkids 

Wish they had some medial providers around here like yours.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, I printed out the first 9 pages.  I take a couple of those as I have high blood pressure.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

I already knew Big Pharma made drugs that cause diabetes etc etc etc. They are in business to make massive amounts of money.

Who knew there were so many. Makes me literally sick to my stomach. I won't want to take any of these.

This must be how my dad ended up diabetic in his 60's. He was on Statin drugs which I know cause diabetes. No other family history of diabetes?

@Nightowlz  Hi and Happy New Year. You have to realize that for most of the medications, the elevation of blood sugar levels is inadvertent. For example, diuretics that are used in the treatment of high blood pressure work by causing excess fluid to leave the cells and be excreted in the urine, thereby lowering the pressure. When this desired effect is achieved, there is also a trade off. When fluids are lost, the  concentration of glucose rises. Physiology is complicated. Physicians should be weighing whether the risks outweigh the benefits when they prescibe any medication. It’s good for patients to be aware of their risks. Some of the drugs are not worth the risk. 

Honored Contributor

Here’s a decent article about the different classes of medications and how they affect glucose levels. Hope this helps further understanding. https://www.goodrx.com/blog/high-blood-sugar-medication-side-effect/

Honored Contributor

If people are on those types of medications, they are being prescribed my physicians and those physicians are well aware of how they might or might not affect blood sugar or any other anything else in the body.  

Honored Contributor

One thing I would like to see is a reduction in niacin levels in multivitamins for women over 55. More specifically, I’d like a lower level in Centrum Silver for Women. Currently, the level of niacin in this supplement is 70% of the RDV. This is problematic for me because just one piece of chicken breast contains 100% of the RDV. Many of the foods I eat are high in niacin. Niacin raises blood sugar, especially in post-menopausal women. Getting too much niacin is not a good thing. 

Honored Contributor

I take one of the drugs listed that may cause hypoglycemia, so thanks for the post. Neither my PCP or Electrophysiotherapist/Cardiologist mentioned it. I only get blood work done twice a year unless I have an issue.