Honored Contributor

@tsavorite,

Wonder if your BIL takes his Blood Pressure during his "drinks like a fish sessions"?  Depending on the dosage, and the type of BP Med, it can cause either dangerously high, or dangerously low readings. In my opinion, he is playing a dangerous game by his "fish drinking".

Side effects, like High Blood Pressure itself, can also be "a silent killer". Unfortunately, all side effects are not of the benign nature, like feeling sick etc. Many with very High BP(hypertension) are not aware of it, but with very Low BP, it can surface as a very noticeable symptom. Being dizzy/disoriented and even completely losing consciousness.

Why some think either Hypo or Hyper Tension is a minor issue? 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

That drug also makes some people develop a terrible cough that will not go away.  If that happens to you, call your doctor, who can prescribe something else.

It's  a very common side effect.

Enjoy your Friday night out and have fun.

-----------------

Exactly what happened to me!!!  Very irritating and seemed to get worse with time.  Doc took me off and prescribed another med!

Honored Contributor

@06greatwife wrote:

Marybelle, totally off subject of beer and fish, but i just wanted to give you a heads up. I was prescribed Lisinopril about a year and a half ago and I found out that after being on it for awhile that I developed a persistent dry cough. Unbeknownst to me, this is a common side effect of the drug. My doctor had not mentioned this possible side effect so i figured it was just a cough hanging on from a bad cold I had had. I was eating cough drops like candy never thinking it could be from my medication. Luckily someone from my church asked me if I was taking Lisinopril and told me that my cough could be a side effect from it. I went back to my doctor and she took me off of it and prescribed something else. Within like 2-3 days, the cough was completely gone. 

@06greatwife  More people than not do not have any side effects from this drug, but the only way to know is if it is tried.

Valued Contributor

Upfate on fishfry and beer. I had baked whitefish and a baked potato with salad. NO FRIED fish. I don't really even like deep-fried foods. It's just that in our area, going out for any kind of fish on Friday is referred to as a fishfry whether you choose fried, baked, broiled.

No cough from lisinopril, no problem with TWO light beers. Blood pressure is down, still logging daily as I will see the doc again next week.

Yes, I made the "mistake" of asking on this forum for personal experiences, knowing no two people are alike. I have read the info with the drug, I have spoken to a pharmacist, doctor, etc.   My husband drove.

Thanks to all who answered my real question. I know others mean well. Some are snarky and that's their issue.

Regular Contributor

Is there a warning on the pill bottle not to drink alcohol while taking this med? That would be a good sign you wouldn't want to drink , otherwise it's probably OK.

Honored Contributor

What did your pharmacist say?