Valued Contributor

I was diagnosed with hypertension recently and hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) didn't reduce it, so I have been prescribed lisinopril. I like to have a couple of beers on Friday night with my fish fry. Can anyone share their experience combining these two substances? I see my doctor next week, but thought I'd ask as Friday is almost upon us.

Respected Contributor

E-mail or call your doctor.  Don't mess around with people on a board who have no idea!  That's why you have a doctor.  Sorry to sound rude, but what are you thinking?  This is your life.

Honored Contributor

The fish fry would cause more issues than the alcohol.

Fat, sodium...

Not saying alcohol is good but in the hypertension discussion,

removing the fat & sodium should be first.

Honored Contributor

@Marybella.  You have a world of information at your fingertips; did it ever occur to you to do a search on the drug?  You also should have received data sheets on the drug when your prescription was filled.

20181128_180600.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

As I said, I have an appointment with my doctor next week. The drug was prescribed and picked up today. I am not stupid, thank you. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with alcohol. The fish fry offers baked whitefish with a baked potato, which is what I choose. Thanks for responding, even if some were rude to me.

Honored Contributor

I think you would be fine as long as you don't take the medication & drink the beer at the same time. Take the meds in the morning.

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz, thank you for your respectful reply. I will be starting tomorrow, taking the pill in the morning. I may or may not imbibe, but was just curious about others' experience. I'll probably have a headache from the med and not want to make it worse!

Honored Contributor

This drug may make you dizzy. Alcohol or marijuana can make you more dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs alertness until you can do it safely. Limit alcoholic beverages. Talk to your doctor if you are using marijuana. From WebMD.

@Marybella

Valued Contributor

@loveschocolateThanks. No marijuana here. Just a beer now and then. I have read all the info on the drug, will be seeing my doctor, having a phone conversation with the doc's office pharmacist, etc. I'm on top of things. Just interested in others' experiences. If someone said they were really dizzy or sick from a beer, then I would probably skip it. It's not a requirement, but something I enjoy when we go out to eat with our friends. My husband does the driving.

Honored Contributor

That drug also makes some people develop a terrible cough that will not go away.  If that happens to you, call your doctor, who can prescribe something else.

It's  a very common side effect.

Enjoy your Friday night out and have fun.