Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lingering sinus infection

The nastiest sinus infection I ever had was fungal. Not bacterial or viral.

Wasn't until I had a culture & sensitivity did they diagnose it properly. Went to a compounding pharmacy and got a script for $26. 

Best experience? Finding a pharmacist who talked to me and actually knew something!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are doing all the right things.

When I've have stubborn ones where a round and a half of antibiotics do not knock it out, I have to do another round of antibiotics with steroids.  That is sort of the nuclear option for me.  My ENT does everything yours does in terms of scopes and cultures.

Luckily, through diet (Paleo), Andrew Lessman's Immune Factors, daily + neti pot use, and being really diligent about handwashing and touching my face, I have been able to avoid one for over 4 years.

< knock wood >

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

What does it mean when you feel like you have fluid built up in the ears but the doctor can't see anything? It has affected my hearing in one ear. My equilibrium seems off sometimes.

@OKPrincess

I have the same thing in the left ear.  It developed a year after we moved to this new city in different state.  Went to a new ENT.  He immediately ordered an MRI, which, as a former RN I thought -  "Ah, he's meeting a quota this month."  It was a ridiculous waste of my time and indicated nothing.  I've been back to see him 3 times, 2 of those times for vertigo (which I had previously) and he made my vertigo worse, as did the vestibular therapy he sent me to - way worse!.  This guy, who is highly thought of in this medical community is a joke!

My left ear still bothers me and, like you, I had a hearing test at my request, and my hearing in that ear is impaired by 40%.

Per my experience, I'd advise finding a really decent ENT who can properly diagnose you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54

Wanted to get back to you after I went through my box of empty rx bottles, which I keep for reference and docs.

You stated you've been through a scope, cultures, antibiotics, etc.  However, I just wanted to let you know that I've been fortunate and only had 2 sinus infections, one of them 2 years ago.  Was prescribed "doxycycline hyclate 100mg caps, 2x/day for 10 days, and boy, this knocked out that sinus infection in record time.  It was prescribed by an urgent care doc and I remain grateful to him to this day that I didn't have to do the antibiotic dance around the block.

If you're still suffering, then next step is to an Infectious Disease physician for further studies into the bacteria or virus causing your sinus distress.  As one nurse poster indicated, this is not something that should be treated lightly (not her words).  Insist on involving an Infectious Disease physician at this time so that he/she can really(!) pin down the offending microbe and finally get you better.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you ladies for your responses. The ENT's office called yesterday and the culture was negative. No bacterial infection, so  no more antibiotics. I was told to just used Sudafed, inhale steam and use the Neti pot because this year was the worst for sinus infections that linger. I do believe its clogged eustacian tubes that causes the dizziness. Its getting a little better, so I'm thankful. Bless you ladies and Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

I got one after the respiratory flu, they are awful.  My daughter gets them and had me take Mucusin (sp?).  It did nothing.

I have a great cold pill for me, Coricidan for heart patients, I took one when I went to bed and sometimes during the day and it helped a lot. 

Honored Contributor

My DH had this one winter until the doctor finally gave him a 10 day course of prednisone. The problem for him was that the sinuses were so swollen the mucous could not drain normally. Anyway the prednisone did the trick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Effie54

My youngest daughter suffered for years with chronic sinus problems.  She was afraid of surgery (which had been recommended) and I don't blame her, as some sinus surgeries make things worse instead of better.

However, she finally did opt for the surgery when it became obvious that this was not going to be just a "come and go" thing, but a permanent condition.  She has been so much better since then and doesn't regret having had the surgery.

I was wondering if you would consider that if this infection persists.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

There is some kind of virus going around here in Michigan at least. It spreads like a virus but goes immediately to sinus infection and bronchitis. Mine started on December 8th, lost my voice completely on December 10th, started antibiotics on December 11th, and had a second round. I am finally on the upswing, but my sinuses are still inflamed -- though I doubt infected. The first week was a low-grade fever, but this lingers for many weeks. One urgent care told a co-worker/friend that she could expect to feel lousy for 4-6 weeks. I believe it. I also have asthma that normally doesn't bother me at all -- except in cold, dry weather. So here we go -- now the asthma has gotten involved because of the bronchitis, and our temps have been below zero and highs of 12 or 13 degrees. My doctor told me to try to stay in the house and inhale steam, using inhalers, cortisone nose spray, I had a Medrol dosepak (steroids) for the asthma which probably also helped my sinuses. I still feel really sick though. This is a crazy one. My voice is still croaky but at least it's back. I have a friend who got it in mid-October and is still suffering from it. At least mine didn't go to pneumonia. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

There is some kind of virus going around here in Michigan at least. It spreads like a virus but goes immediately to sinus infection and bronchitis. Mine started on December 8th, lost my voice completely on December 10th, started antibiotics on December 11th, and had a second round. I am finally on the upswing, but my sinuses are still inflamed -- though I doubt infected. The first week was a low-grade fever, but this lingers for many weeks. One urgent care told a co-worker/friend that she could expect to feel lousy for 4-6 weeks. I believe it. I also have asthma that normally doesn't bother me at all -- except in cold, dry weather. So here we go -- now the asthma has gotten involved because of the bronchitis, and our temps have been below zero and highs of 12 or 13 degrees. My doctor told me to try to stay in the house and inhale steam, using inhalers, cortisone nose spray, I had a Medrol dosepak (steroids) for the asthma which probably also helped my sinuses. I still feel really sick though. This is a crazy one. My voice is still croaky but at least it's back. I have a friend who got it in mid-October and is still suffering from it. At least mine didn't go to pneumonia. 

Hi, and thanks for your nice note. 

I've been to (2) ENT's and have had countless nasal endoscopies; all saying it s viral, and it has to run its course. I've had this for 8 weeks now and still feel dizzy with a swollen left ear eustacian tube. I have glaucoma and osteoporisis, so doctors are reluctant to prescribe steroids because of the side-effects on those conditions. How frustrating it is as it doesn't go away, no matte what. I can try the steroid nasal spray - which I think might help. Feel better!