Honored Contributor

LiftMaster Garage Door Panels Due to Entrapment Hazard

[ Edited ]
Hazard:

The control panel’s secondary entrapment protection system can fail causing the garage door to close even with an obstruction present, posing an entrapment hazard.

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately contact the Chamberlain Group to receive a free repair kit, including shipping. The repair kit consists of a replacement garage door control panel and installation instructions. Installation instructions can also be found at https://support.chamberlaingroup.com. Chamberlain Group is contacting all known purchasers directly.

Units:

About 96,400 (In addition, about 19,300 were sold in Canada)

Consumer Contact:
Phone: (833) 775-1951
Sold At:
Online and in stores at The Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and other stores and distributors nationwide from March 2022 through October 2022 for about $60, when sold as an accessory, and between $500 and $700, when sold as a bundle.

Honored Contributor

Re: LiftMaster Garage Door Panels Due to Entrapment Hazard

What a fun recall!  As you lay trapped under your garage door, if you're not dead and can scream for someone to release you, you're supposed to immediately call for a kit where you yourself must do electrical work to uninstall an old control unit then reinstall a new one.

All this could keep you amused for days and leave you time to file a lawsuit while awaiting the arrival of a new kit while your family continues to face a potentially fatal hazard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The Chamberlain Group should also cover the cost of professionally removing the faulty panel and installing the new one.  Not everyone is handy enough to do it himself.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr    Exactly!  Not to mention the on-going hazard until the kit arrives and gets installed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Installing garage doors was the last job my husband had before he became disabled.  When I read this recall to him, he chuckled just a little.  

All it would take for this recall is for a small number of people to say their garage door started lowering on its own; no one touched this wall control, and no one triggered the motion eye at the base of the door.  The door would close at normal speed and the majority of people would have ample time to take 2 steps back.

However Chamberlain accepts it is a safety issue and it's much cheaper to offer replacement of these wall mount control panels.  The colored wires to the new panel match exactly to the colored wires of the wall connection; not a big deal unless you're color blind.  

My husband did not install Chamberlain products.  If you have this type of control panel on the wall in your garage, and are concerned about it, just pull the gear control near the top of your garage door, which allows you to open and close the door by hand.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D , thanks for posting.  I just had two of these installed.  🙄

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  I checked and am thankful mine is not included on the warning list.  LM