Super Contributor

Anyone have any experience with Lifeline?

If so, I would appreciate if you would share what that is. Details not needed, just in general what you thought about them; i.e. the personnel, the equipment, the quality of the screening, etc.  TIA

Original registration date 7/3!/07 post count was 223 until 6/15/15
Respected Contributor

Re: Lifeline medical screenings

My husband and I just went and had this done.  The personnel were all nice and knew what they were doing.  I truly only needed to have one test done but somehow it turned out to be more.  Be sure that your doctor does not test for what they do before you sign up.  Most of mine are done by my doctor.  My husband needed to have several tests done that his doctor does not check for.  They are very crowded  and the weight is long to get started.  We did not have everything done that they offer and were there over 2 1/2 hours. 

When we arrived and checked in we were told that we qualified with Medicare to have something else done and not asking we agreed.  Turns out it is a discussion with and ARNP about how to take better care of yourself.  After finding out that we did not want or need to do that and having to wait another 30 minutes to see her I told them that we did not want to have it done and so we left.  They billed Medicare for it. 

If you and your doctor feel that you need to have this done then I would go for it.  The test results come to you in the mail about 3 weeks after you have it done. 

I did notice that a lot of handicapped people could not get onto the tables and they did not have a step or something to stand on to reach the tables.  They did allow a spouse to assist them though. 

Honored Contributor

Based on the experience of someone I know, I would suggest you discuss any concerns with your own doctor, and have them order the medical screenings.   The person I know had insurance, but chose to do one of these screenings, where an abdominal aneurysm was diagnosed.  She was given a referral to an out of the area physician for followup, but took the diagnostic information to her local doctor, who immediately scheduled her for the exact same scan she'd just had done thru the Lifeline screening.  The doctor stated he could not put that paper in her chart and start treating her from that outside diagnosis, as her insurance would not pay on her treatment without his documentation from start to finish.  So she paid twice for the same diagnostic scan, but did eventually have surgery to remove the aneurysm, due to it growing larger over time.   

Super Contributor

@RedTop and @luvsbulldogs  So from what I understand you both to say, the experience was something you found of value for the person/people who were screened and have no regrets about doing it and maybe would do it again if you/they felt it were needed. 

Thank you both for your replys. I would like to hear from anyone else who would like to comment. Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have gone to them several times when they are in the area. It is inexpensive compared to other faciities. It is fast and you go from one procedure to another in about an hour, if you do a full screening. The report that is mailed to you is very valuable. If you list your primary doctor, they will send the report to his/her office. I usually just take it in the next time I see my doctor.

The personnel are very nice, but you don't sit down and talk with them for a long period of time, like you would with your doctor. They have always been courteous and helpful, but they are there to do the test and move you along.

The main reason I use Lifeline is because for the low cost I can get so many tests that would cost way more if you asked for them to be done by your doctor, who would have to send you out for the various procedures. And I use it as an interim medical checkup. I don't use it instead of my yearly doctor visit.

I usually get the following checked: bone mineral density, cardio, carotid artery disease screening, high cholestorol, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease screening, diabetes screening, etc. 

You don't have to disrobe, just ensure you wear clothes that allow them to access areas with their equipment. For instance, if you are having your heart checked, they need to attach all those little diods (not sure if that is the correct word) to your chest. And if you do the artery check, they need to attach those to various parts of your body on the veins (feet, legs, neck, arm). So I just wear very comfortable loose clothing, nothing binding.

I felt everything was handled discreetly, with screens in between people having tests. It did, however, remind me of a hospital ward......big open room with many screened areas. If it is your first time, they will have you come in early to fill out paperwork and then you wait for your turn. It goes quite qucikly. You can schedule online too.

In our area they charge around $99 on up, depending upon what you want done. I find that if I don't respond to their first mailing, they come back in a few weeks and offer it for a lower amount. Someone I know got the same things done that I did. They responded to the first email and it cost them $189; but I waited and finally got it for $99. Of course, by waiting you might not get a convenient time to go. They are usually only at one place for one day. They may go to another town nearby the next day, but just for the day again.

I paid out of pocket and claimed it on my tax returns as a medical expense.

The report that is mailed to you gives you so much information and they keep that on file. So the next time they come around, usually yearly, they tell you what tests they feel you should take, based upon what you had in the past and what the results were. 

My doctor likes the report too because he only sees me once a year and he can see how I am doing throughout the year without me coming into the office and him having to order a bunch of tests.

I have gone to various types of places to have this done. Sometimes they use a ballroom in a hotel, I've gone to a church recreation room to have it done, etc. It's not a medical facility you go to; however, they are very clean, change their surgical gloves after each person, and if you have to lie down for a procedure, the table top (paper) is changed.

Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

@luv2drive wrote:

@RedTop and @luvsbulldogs  So from what I understand you both to say, the experience was something you found of value for the person/people who were screened and have no regrets about doing it and maybe would do it again if you/they felt it were needed. 

Thank you both for your replys. I would like to hear from anyone else who would like to comment. Thanks so much!

From what I was told Medicare will not cover some of the tests that they do and it would cost a lot more if you were to have it done at a hospital or office.   The reason a doctor started the Life Screening testing is to do the tests that are no longer being done or paid for.  Now if you have symptoms that is a different story. 

My tests results did not recommend my going anywhere but to take their paperwork of the results to my doctor and that they would take it from there. 

Hope that this helped you. 

Honored Contributor

The person I know would NOT waste her money or time with the Lifeline screenings again, and now tells others exactly what I told her---go to your doctor with your concerns.    

Super Contributor

@World Traveler thank you so much for your in depth reply very good info! Smiley Happy

@luvsbulldogs thanks, again, for your input. I don't think I've ever heard that it was started by a doctor. Yes, your post was very helpful. Heart

Super Contributor

@RedTop I'm sorry. I guess I misunderstood. From your post, altho your friend had a problem with the referral that was given, they did find a problem, that they did address with the doctor of choice. That's why I thought it was a positive experience. I'm sorry your friend had to bo through that.

Honored Contributor

I've donetesting with Lifeline a few times.  Costs me $139 for a series of 5 tests, one of which is carotid artery (blockage or not). Most of these 5 are geared towards strokes.  They apparently also have one (or a group of) tests for the heart.  I've not done that one, don't plan to. 

I am retired and my ins does not cover Lifeline tests (unless they've changed and I don't know it).  I was surprised to here Medicare may cover any/all of these 5 tests.  I'm assuming the one poster here about Medicare does the same tests I do as they seem to be what Lifeline mostly offers.  When I worked and had ins at work, Lifeline was not covered there either.

I always give my paperwork to my PCP.  He knows of Lifeline, has not said to me that seeing Lifeline is a waste of time.