Esteemed Contributor

Re: Life line screenings or the like

DH and I use them about every 3 years and then take the results to our family doctor.  She had no concern about them and she definitely would let us know if she did.  What she did say was that our regular insurance probably covered all of the tests that we have done; however, I prefer to only go to one place to have the tests done unless there is a problem.

As far as mailings from them, I get them once a year.  I consider it to be a good reminder and then I can decide if I feel that it is time to make an appointment with them.  I consider this to be a small amount of money well-spent on my health.   No one is ever pushy.  The only thing that I dislike and now refuse is to let them take any info for medicare.  When medicare starts paying, then they can have the results.  I am paying so I get the results to do with as I please.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I get these brochures about once a year.  They will be in my area at a Catholic Church in early Feb., and are asking me to make an appointment.  I already know that the results of two of their "tests" - I do have A-fib, and I just had a heart catherization about 3 years ago, so all it can tell me that I don't already know is about the aortic screening and the arterial screening.

So, since it will cost $149 for just those 2 things, I probably will not have it done this year, but might consider it next year. 

I am a worrier anyway, and if the results came back that I had something wrong, I would probably run screaming down the highway!!  LOL

Valued Contributor

No, these scans are NOT Pet scans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PET scans are a type of scan I go through every 3 months because I have cancer. A radioactive injected dye is used (made of glucose). Cancer loves glucose, so any cancer will "LIGHT UP" once the dye is absorbed. This scan tells the oncologist if cancer has enlarged and/or spread. There are also false positives---an benign inflammation will also light up--it is a very sensitive type of scan----and costs a bundle---my last PET scan cost $6,000 for the scan itself and $450 for the radiologist to read my scan--so almost $6500 per scan. It always requires prior insurance approval.

This type of scan is not done on anyone whose cancer is not already proven--not to my knowledge, anyway.

You can go online to research this type of scan more if you are so inclined.