New Contributor

Re: Life Alert,or Phillips Life line?

On 9/21/2014 terrier3 said:

My aunt had Life Alert. It was terrible.

She died 3 years ago this week in her bed while she was sleeping, so she never pressed the button. 3 weeks later, I called them to cancel her program. They didn't even check on her & didn't know she was gone!

I thought they are supposed to notify family (that was me) if someone doesn't respond to them on a daily basis? She could have been dead 3 weeks (if she was someone without family that checked in every day like we did!)

They were also very rude because I couldn't find every piece for their equipment.

DON'T use Life Alert!

I had Life Alert for my elderly mother for 5 years. There was no daily check service that was included in my service plan. The system is for emergency situations and do require the button be pressed. The button can be worn as a watch or around the neck, and of course if it is out of reach, it does not do any good. Help can also be summoned via the transmission box. With that being said, for $30 per month my mother had medical emergency response and the rental of a transmission box. Over the years, they did call if there was no signal from the box, usually because phone service was out (weather related), and they did call me as the first emergency contact.

My mom had a very serious fall in April, and used the button. She said they remain with her, via the box, until emergency help arrived (her municipality's EMS team). I was notified immediately by Life Alert, and was speaking to them as the EMS team arrived at my mother's home. They kept me on the line until transport to a hospital was confirmed. At that time, the years of monthly payments were worth every penny. I think their service minimized what could have been an event with a much different outcome.

As for the box, it is rented and needs to be returned if service is no longer required (in the contract). I notified Life Alert my mother would be moving into assisted living. I was sent a prepaid UPS label and they arranged for a UPS pick up date. I simply packed the box and button unit up, left it for UPS, and received confirmation the units were received a week or so later.

Overall, that one event made me a satisfied customer. They were efficient in dispatching help, notified me in a very timely fashion, and made the difference between a good vs bad outcome.

Frequent Contributor

feline groovy Thank you for the information. I have an older cell phone. I keep it for emergency use in the car. My bracelet is on my left wrist. I hope we never have to use our alerts. Stay safe and healthy. By the way, I'm 79.

Honored Contributor

On 9/24/2014 CAROLINA2 said:

feline groovy

Thank you for the information.

I have an older cell phone. I keep it for emergency use in the car.

My bracelet is on my left wrist. I hope we never have to use our alerts.

Stay safe and healthy.

By the way, I'm 79.

Anytime, C.

Glad to hear that your medical ID is already on your left arm, and that your cell is always in your car. That's being "safety (& health)- smart".

I also hope that we never have to make good use of our bracelets, but I'm very thankful that they exist.

BTW, you write younger than your chronological age, which means that you have a youthful soul. 8)

Thanks very much, & take good care, please.

Honored Contributor

On 9/23/2014 CAROLINA2 said:

I have the Phillips Life Line system. On the whole I'm pleased with it. They have different models to choose from. Mine has gone off a few times for no reason at all. One time they didn't believe me when I told them I was ok. Next thing I knew the Rescue Squad, fire dept and an ambulance were at my door. I convinced them that I was fine and they left.

Dang... hope that doesn't continue to happen. But good to hear that it hasn't.

Especially if you live in an apartment building or complex, as your neighbors and landlord would very quickly grow tired of it.

Not to mention it's not healthy (physically & emotionally) to be so suddenly and loudly startled like that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 9/24/2014 Lonestar Babs said:

Look into GreatCall's 5-Star Response. I have that for my mom and it's great. Same people who have the Jitterbug phones. Since Mom doesn't use her cell phone, the 5STar Responder is worn around her neck. Push a button and she can immediately talk to someone from anywhere -- this has GPS built in so she doesn't have to be home. No contracts. Reasonably priced, and they now make a waterproof model. You can also get 5Star Response on a Jitterbug phone, but since Mom doesn't use her cell we opted for the little responder device instead.

Awesome.

Respected Contributor

With most of these systems, the pendant does not have a speaker, it just transmits a signal which is sent by the base unit. What that means is that if you are in another room, you will not hear the responder when they get on the line and try to talk to you. They will assume you are nonresponsive and call emergency services or whomever you designate. Don't be fooled by the TV commercials.

Also, read the "agreement" very carefully. Even if they say there is no contract, they give you something to sign. Some of the clauses in it are very onerous, absolving their company of all responsibility and making you (and your heirs) liable for any problems that arise.... for example, if they give the police the wrong address and the police break down a door to someone elses house...{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Frequent Contributor

My Life Line speaker box is very loud. I think if anyone tried to break into the house the response from the box would scare the heck out of them.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the compliment feline groovy. I still feel young. It's hard to believe that I'm 79.

Super Contributor

On 9/21/2014 Shelbelle said:

We got Senior Safety for my Mom a few years ago. I did my research and they came out on top. Best price, no contracts to sign. Very nice to deal with. Life Alert has some very negative reviews.

Thanks so much Will have to check on this one...

The only thing is I know there is one that is advertised? If you pass out-or cannot reach the button it will automatically be alerted...

Not sure if the one you have for your mom has that feature?

Unfortunitely my sister-in-laws niece who I believe did have life-Alert passed out so the device could not be activated... She was found by her grandson who could not reach her when calling...

So tragic. I worry so much about these unfortunate things happening...

lovestodance

Super Contributor

My mom is 79y/o and uses a BoobiTrap cell phone holder that attaches to her bra. She always has her phone to dial for help without the monthly charge for other devices such as Life Alert.