Esteemed Contributor

Just went to my local Big Y this morning and had to spend a bit of time finding a bag or plastic container of a variety of already washed salad that did not contain any kind of romaine. It's only iceberg lettuce/red cabbage & carrots that I opted for but better safe than sorry. I almost got a bag of just spinach but finally spotted that mix minus any romaine. Just plain kale was another option but not sure what kale tastes like. And all the slots where a huge variety of bagged or plastic container of salad is found were filled to the brim.  Either they refilled everything before I got there or people are not buying.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lettuce E Coli Worsens

[ Edited ]

Repeating above advice:  Ask your grocer.

If you’re in an area which doesn’t sell romaine, eat Iceburg.

If it’s been awhile, you’ll be surprised how sweet it is.

I agree with @QueenDanceALot.

For the volume of produce being affected,

it needs to take a volume of ick.

That type of volume is from the feedlots & cattle industry.

Honored Contributor

The lettuce from Yuma is still in the packing plants and could be mixed with California romaine.The last harvest from Yuma will be past date in four weeks and no longer available...so until that time none for our family.

Honored Contributor

@aprildreams wrote:

Ecoli is a bacteria that is spread by fecal/oral route.  Think about it.  People not washing their hands  after going to the bathroom...poor hygiene with workers.  This  is  so disgusting when you think about it.  I'm an RN, and microbiology was my favorite course, to see how bacteria/viruses are spread.

It is most likely due to animal feces, which is often the issue in these cases.

But I agree, produce all needs to be scrutinized as often times, farm workers don't have adequate facilities, and many people from the farm to the packers to the stockers at the store don't practice good hygiene. 

Honored Contributor

I've temporarily gone back to iceberg head lettuce. 

It has been a nice change.

Honored Contributor

I'm still buying and eating full heads of romaine lettuce. It's Andy Boy brand from CA. No concerns nor any problems. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

The solution to this problem is to grow lettuce hydroponically yourself. Miracle Grow makes a kit that Marc Charles has sold in the past. Some supermarkets also sell hydroponic lettuce. These lettuces never touch dirt and cannot be contaminated. 

Valued Contributor

Our local supermarket has signs up saying all of the romaine is sourced from CA. But as Consumer Reports states sometimes what is printed on the bag does not always match where the product was grown.  The CDC stressed this as well. I was reading that nearly all of our romaine comes from Salinas CA except for the winter season when it is grown in Yuma AZ.  So there you have it.  I think the whole head romaine in my store is probably fine but this ecoli strain is so virulent that I opted instead for some organic mixed "power" greens.  It has all kinds of weird greens in it but I was surprised to find out that it was pretty good!  Lots of vitamins too.  No point in landing in the hospital or worse no matter how tiny the chance.  

Respected Contributor

It will be back to iceburg lettuce for me for now ! 

Esteemed Contributor

I also just bought Romaine and have no problem, though I did not know from where it was grown. I'm just washing it extra carefully.