Honored Contributor

Letter From Breast Center

[ Edited ]

I recently had my annual mammogram.  When I got my letter telling me it was fine, they mentioned some other things.  They wanted me to return now for a genetic consultation, in six months for a bilateral breast MRI, and in one year for a bilateral routine screening mammogram to confirm that nothing has changed.  I've never gotten a letter like this and am wondering if this is routine or possibly has something to do with my age.  I'm 59 years old.  My mother died from breast cancer fifteen years ago.

My sister, who also had stage 1 breast cancer with radiation, is 54 years old and did not get this letter after she had her mammogram at the same facility.  I'm going to call them on Monday and discuss it with them and decide what to do.  I won't be able to do it if my insurance won't cover it, and I'm not sure that it will.  

When I went to a different breast center, they had me do an MRI each year since I had a family history of breast cancer.  I've been going to this place for about ten years, and they have never mentioned it until now.  I'm wondering why they didn't say anything about all of this when I was in there.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Letter From Breast Center

wow that is very detailed and intense for someone who had a clean mammo! I wonder if it is due to the fact that both your sister and your mom had breast cancer and your perhaps your age? I have dense breasts and the only history of breast cancer is my aunt on my dad's side and it was the kind that is pretty easy to cure (she is cured) but they still want me to come in every year. I am in my early forties. If you don't mind, please update us why they want all that done?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would call them Monday and ask if my mammo is clear. I think with the way health care is so driven to make a buck these days I am suspicious of everything being to make a buck.I have had breast cancer and a lumpectomy and I don't get a MRI - just a routine mammo yearly.

Trusted Contributor

They are probably wanting you to be tested for a BRACA or similar genetic history.    With breast cancer issues, there are organizations that will help with co-pays and more.  

Breast and uterine cancers are funded.    With Medicare cuts, I cannot afford even getting tested for esophageal cancer.    All I can afford is the meds to mask the symptoms.    Mine is not a "popular" cancer.   So, call the ACS and they will help you.

Honored Contributor

I would call for clarification and why this was sent to you.

Then I would call my insurance company for pre-approval .... or ask what else they need to approve further testing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a 15 year survivor of BC. The only history in my family was on my grandfathers side. All three of his sisters died from it. I did ask my onc for the test but she said that history was irrelevent. I eventually ended up changing to another onc for many reasons. The one I am seeing now said the first thing she wants to do was screen for the BRAC gene. I didn't even have to ask for it. I tested negative, thank goodness as I have a 27 year old daughter. I would ask for this test, and if negative, you could probably avoid all those other costly tests. Not everyone carries this gene even with a family history. Also I would like to add that if you have daughters it would be good for them to know if you do carry this gene.

I was misdiagnosed at age 38, mamo didn't show anything but I could feel the lump. A year later after an ultrasound it showed up. Even though I don't carry the gene her gyn wants her to have a mamo earlier than recommended.

Trusted Contributor

5 year survivior, stage 4 here. I've never gotten a  letter recommending more testing. I trust my oncologist to order any testing, not the imaging facility.

Kinda sounds like those TV drug ads, 'Ask your doctor for so and so.'

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would definitely call and discuss this with someone for clarification purposes, but I suspect this is a new program of study for this breast center, and you were chosen based on medical history.  However, I would also be looking at this letter in a positive way, and for my peace of mind, I would do the testing as suggested.   Since you do have a risk for breast cancer, whatever you can do testing wise to prevent a future diagnosis is one of the best gifts you can give yourself, and your family.  I feel this letter is very much inline with what a true breast center does as far as helping their patients.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I would definitely call and discuss this with someone for clarification purposes, but I suspect this is a new program of study for this breast center, and you were chosen based on medical history.  However, I would also be looking at this letter in a positive way, and for my peace of mind, I would do the testing as suggested.   Since you do have a risk for breast cancer, whatever you can do testing wise to prevent a future diagnosis is one of the best gifts you can give yourself, and your family.  I feel this letter is very much inline with what a true breast center does as far as helping their patients.   

I completely agree with all of this!

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone.  You've given me good feedback.  I'll call in the morning for clarification and let you all know what they say.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau