Honored Contributor

Re: Let's hear it for the buggy pushers and heavy purse carriers

[ Edited ]

You are only hurting yourself so go ahead.

As for everyone else - PLEASE - if you have spinal stenosis go to physical therapy and learn how to exercise in a way that will give you positive results, and not make your condition worse. Water aerobics are the best when you have this condition, because the water supports your weight and you can move much better in the water. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My 87 year old father has had spinal stenosis for about ten years.  It has been getting progressively worse.  He's been to several doctors about it.  He's had physical therapy and is doing exercises for it.  I know he's doing arm exercises and am not sure what else.  He uses a walker.  He has fallen a couple of times, probably because of balance issues due to his spinal stenosis.  He is now living in an Independent Living apartment situation.  He has been told that he isn't a good candidate for surgery.  I imagine it's because of his age but am not positive about that.  I know it's very painful and am really sorry for those of you that have it.

My father was very athletic before he got spinal stenosis and was in a Masters Swim Class.  Now he isn't able to swim, which is very frustrating for him.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

I have it too and just about everything else you can have as far as spinal issues. I never go into a store anymore without a buggy. I try not to do the lean over the buggy thing but sometimes I have to. Mainly grocery shopping. 

I'm like @sfnative. I don't do that much shopping in stores anymore. In fact, I'm not doing much of anything these days. I'm having trouble just keeping up with things at home. 

I also do stupid stuff like today when I was just fed up with the whole thing. I went on a whirlwind cleaning/rearranging/fall decorating binge and I'm already regretting it. I can't pace myself for the life of me. I've also got a very demanding week so this should be interesting 😳

Mine is getting much worse again. I'm taking meds and pushing through it. I get plenty of  physical exercise until I've pushed too far and then I'm sitting on the couch again. 

I'm back to the neuro this week so we'll see what happens. 

Good luck eveyone. 

@Reba055

I'm hearing and feeling your pain.  With me, I find that my level of frustration is what leads me into binge-type activity as well.  On Saturday it was supposed to rain cats and dogs, but didn't.  So, around 2 pm, we went out front and I did some major digging in order to "seat" three large boulders purchased for landscaping purposes.  I had my husband removing old red decorative grass and removing several bushes.  To top things off, I determined the path my grape hyacinth "river" will take across our weird shaped and small front yard, then placed medium river rocks to create the river borders, so I wouldn't lose track of where I wanted the river to go.  And, yes, now I'm paying for it big time.  You know it's bad when it wakes you up several times during the night. 

Am excited to decorate for Christmas and have several things out already trying to figure out where they will end up, as we're in our new and permanent place now.  However, our granddaughter is really enjoying my fall and Thanksgiving decor, so will keep that on board until Black Friday.  Figure if I can get all of the Christmas decorating done in one day, I'll only be down one week.  LOL! 

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

The OP should have just posted the link, instead of c&p.  I don't think she intended for anyone to think she was a medical person.  A medical person (if there is one posting here) would have directed posters to the link and not posted a novella..... JMO

Respected Contributor

@sfnative. Major digging??  Lol. I wouldn't even attempt that one. I'm impressed. 

I'm already thinking about decorating for Christmas. I know exactly what you mean. Every year I say I'm not going to do this or that, but I always do. I'm going to try to start earlier and see how that works out. 

It's still so warm here I'm afraid it's going to really sneak up on me. Bam!  It'll drop 40 degrees in one day and then it'll be freezing. Gotta love north Florida weather 😜

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

@sfnative. Major digging??  Lol. I wouldn't even attempt that one. I'm impressed. 

I'm already thinking about decorating for Christmas. I know exactly what you mean. Every year I say I'm not going to do this or that, but I always do. I'm going to try to start earlier and see how that works out. 

It's still so warm here I'm afraid it's going to really sneak up on me. Bam!  It'll drop 40 degrees in one day and then it'll be freezing. Gotta love north Florida weather 😜

@Reba055

I'm getting so close to decorating, too.  And, I found out yesterday that my neuro is changing my med yet again for a clinical issue not related to my back.  Since this new med will have me even more sedated and woozy, I know now that I've gotta get Christmas up or it may not occur.

My total knee of 2 years ago has turned my life up-side-down, as the anesthesiologist chose drugs which "messed" with my cortex (in the brain) and I now have myoclonic seizures and have had a horrible time finding one med that will stop these.  They're like getting a big twitch in a joint.  In my case, most are in my left leg, with few in a shoulder, etc.  Thing is they must be controlled.  I'd be happy just to live with them, but my neuro says no way, so I'm now starting my 4th med, worst of all, to see if it will stop these. 

This is the point where I've found myself angry and depressed, as I'm no longer allowed to drive.  I can't even get away from my husband to go to the nice Starbucks about 1/4 mile down 122nd.  If anyone reading this could pray for me in dealing with the required medication and myoclonic seizures, I'd really appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative I will certainly pray for you and keep me posted on how you are doing.