Honored Contributor

Let's hear it for the buggy pushers and heavy purse carriers

Do you have osteoporosis?  Do you have spinal stenosis?  What is your exercise regimen?  I had to quit taking Reclast because of issues with dental implants and trigeminal neuralgia.  So I am trying to make my bones stronger with exercise. I carry a heavy purse (and it's heavy with tablets, phones and device chargers, etc) in one hand for a half hour and the other for a half hour.  I go to Costco or Sam's and lean forward on carts which I push around for an hour or so.  Sometimes I buy one item, sometimes a cart full but I make use of the grocery carts for spinal stenosis.  Anyone else have this regimen or any other that I might wish to adapt.

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's hear it for the buggy pushers and heavy purse carriers

It is important for us buggy pushers to remember NOT to lean over the buggy not only is it bad for our posture but it can make our back hurt maybe more than it does. Next time you are at the super market try try to observe how many people do just that.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Leaning forward on the buggy opens up  the spine according to all the neurosurgeons and physical therapists I have seen.

I think I will trust the doctors' advice here rather than the supermarket observers.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I chose surgery for my spinal stenosis and got it over with. No more nerve pain ! I still get muscle pain in my back but I exercise for that - mostly in the water. Muscle pain is minor in comparison to nerve pain anyway.  I no longer needed to lean on a cart - I walk straight and tall, and can go pretty far without being overly tired. I still have to use a cane , however, because I have balance issues related I'm told to arthritis in my back - oh well. Way better than a walker. It seems that sooner or later everyone ends up with surgery for stenosis so I just went to that solution right off the bat, and I'm glad I did. I have been nerve pain free for 12 years now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have MS which was in remission for a long time and has returned, plus I just underwent a microvascular decompression and none of the doctors with whom I have spoken are at all anxious to do another surgery on me at this point, plus I have an upcoming breast lesion removal Thanksgiving eve, so forgive me if I upset everybody.  I need new glasses for my optic neuritis but want to wait until I get the breast surgery done.

I will be on my merry way.  I just thought there might be others who had confronted the problem where surgery was not an option and pushing buggies became a way of life.  Alas, I do not mean to agitate those healthy ladies who have perfect posture, but just after recuperating from microvascular decompression of the fifth cranial nerve, I now have a breast surgery upcoming and as long as I can get relief and my doctors advise me to do so, I will carry the weights of heavy handbags and lean onto carts and push.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been a nurse since 1966 and a back patient for 12 years and I have never , not once not ever - heard any doctor or physical therapist ever endorse carrying a heavy purse being good for ones back. Nor walking around bent over a shopping cart. Just saying. 

I have heard many many many doctors and physical therapist advise against carrying a heavy handbag.

And why do people post some little silly question with no information and when they don't get the answer they want they go into a tirade of all their physical problems? Why don't you just tell us what we are supposed to answer up front so we know.

Also, spinal stenosis causes extreme weakness. I couldn't walk from one end of my ranch house to the other without sitting down. And that is pretty much consistant with everyone who has this diagnosis, and yet you walk around Costco for an hour. Hummm.

Esteemed Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

It is important for us buggy pushers to remember NOT to lean over the buggy not only is it bad for our posture but it can make our back hurt maybe more than it does. Next time you are at the super market try try to observe how many people do just that.

@Group 5 minus 1

@Nonametoday

I have spinal stenosis and believe me if I have to walk through Costco spine sraight as a board, I'm going to be walking right back out the door to my car.  I HAVE to lean on the cart, when available.  Can you guess I don't go shopping much at this point?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have it too and just about everything else you can have as far as spinal issues. I never go into a store anymore without a buggy. I try not to do the lean over the buggy thing but sometimes I have to. Mainly grocery shopping. 

I'm like @sfnative. I don't do that much shopping in stores anymore. In fact, I'm not doing much of anything these days. I'm having trouble just keeping up with things at home. 

I also do stupid stuff like today when I was just fed up with the whole thing. I went on a whirlwind cleaning/rearranging/fall decorating binge and I'm already regretting it. I can't pace myself for the life of me. I've also got a very demanding week so this should be interesting 😳

Mine is getting much worse again. I'm taking meds and pushing through it. I get plenty of  physical exercise until I've pushed too far and then I'm sitting on the couch again. 

I'm back to the neuro this week so we'll see what happens. 

Good luck eveyone. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I have been a nurse since 1966 and a back patient for 12 years and I have never , not once not ever - heard any doctor or physical therapist ever endorse carrying a heavy purse being good for ones back. Nor walking around bent over a shopping cart. Just saying. 

I have heard many many many doctors and physical therapist advise against carrying a heavy handbag.

And why do people post some little silly question with no information and when they don't get the answer they want they go into a tirade of all their physical problems? Why don't you just tell us what we are supposed to answer up front so we know.

Also, spinal stenosis causes extreme weakness. I couldn't walk from one end of my ranch house to the other without sitting down. And that is pretty much consistant with everyone who has this diagnosis, and yet you walk around Costco for an hour. Hummm.

NAT:  You must be a nurses' aide or LPN in training.  Not an RN.  Any good nurse or doctor worth their weight in gold will tell you carrying weights in each hand is good for osteoporosis and yes, spinal stenosis is weakening, but one must build up strength.  Take some continuing educcation courses and learn.

http://weillcornellpainmedicine.com/health-library/spinal-stenosis

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/weight-training

Trusted Contributor

You already know what you SHOULD do. Eat correctly, lose weight, and strengthen your inner core muscles. If you want to argue that your 'regimen' is correct-whatever, but don't belittle people when they suggest other methods.