Esteemed Contributor

My husband has poor circulation in his legs.  I was wondering if  anyone here uses anything to massage their legs or has any recommendations? 

Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

If this is associated with a medical condition, has his doctor given him a DME prescription?  Should be covered.

Honored Contributor

would his condition need compression sox?

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

If this is associated with a medical condition, has his doctor given him a DME prescription?  Should be covered.

@Still Raining

He's had vein surgery which helped a lot but he's begun to experience more swelling recently.  The doctor said it was from poor circulation and didn't suggest anything other than a stronger  compression sock, more than what he's already wearing.  A friend had mentioned the massage machine so we were looking into it.  It sounds like my husband should ask the doctor about it since he could possibly get a prescription for it.   Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.    Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leg Massagers

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

would his condition need compression sox?

@qualitygal   He has poor ciruclation from an old war injury.  He does wear compression socks and the doctor suggested stronger ones.  He can barely get the ones on he has now.  A friend had suggested a massage machine as a way to increase circulation but this may be something he should ask the doctor.  Thanks for your reply.  I really appreciate any and all help.  Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cotton4meI'm sure you know this, but movement would be my first course of action.  Walking or riding a bike...if a problem with balance get on a recumbant at the club.  My husband just purchased a fun trike for both of us (Sun Baja trike) to pop our pup in the basket and take short trips together.  We have competitive bicycles, but these have fat tires and are just a fun way to relax yet get your legs pumping and spend time outdoors.  I also have a massage foot circulation machine that was purchased at Costo and a message chair that has a leg component that my husband bought for me years ago.  Although, some of the items are a bit pricey, walking is free and movement will encourage the circulation.  I also have rollers (you can purchase at TJ Max and I recently saw them at Costco) that can be used on the floor.  We have a Teeter Inversion machine that is excellent for circulation.  However, just lying against a wall while inverting his legs will help.  There are yoga poses that would encourage better circulation and you could purchase a tape or check out at the library for at home use. You can give him massages, which I do for my husband and that is also beneficial for cirulation. For me personally, I would also review dietary lifestyle.  Best of health!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have a medical supply place near you.  Maybe a doctor has to write a pres. for this, but there are leg boot that go up the legs and they do compression on legs.  My dad had to use them.  I don't know the name or where my mother got them for dad.  Check your local area out.  Ask the doctors or nurses for recommendations.  They would know about that stuff.  I'll look for pictures, and company names.

*****adding Google Leg compression machines.  If he uses these, he should elevate his legs.  P.S.  There are little plastic things to help get compression sox on.  Our grocercy store has an area that even sells these.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

My husband has poor circulation in his legs.  I was wondering if  anyone here uses anything to massage their legs or has any recommendations? 

Thanks

Cottonball, please talk to his dr. about it first.  Something about blood clots, I can't quite remember.  Hope hubby feels better soon, SC

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1

@qualitygal

@phoenixbrd

@Still Raining

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I really appreciate each one.  You've given me good thoughts and ideas. I'll suggest to my husband that he might want to discuss this with his doctor before proceeding.