Honored Contributor

Re: Learned something new about Cipro

Way back when, every time I went to the dentist I had to take an antibiotic first because I had rheumatic fever as a child.

One dentist prescribed cipro and I remember the pharmacist said "that's a little overkill, isn't it?"  I had no idea about meds in those days.  I took it.

Later on in life they gave it to me in an IV and I watched as my left arm became redder and redder.  I wasn't even in a room yet, but my daughter was there and she grabbed a nurse who immediately removed the IV. 

I can't even remember what I was there for, but it was probably diverticulitis because I was hospitalized with that five times.

That's some bad stuff.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

A friend of mine is dealing with a painful shoulder condition right now, due to Cipro. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Levaquin is another drug that can cause Achilles' tendon issues.   My mother took it once; had a lot of pain in her legs and refuses to take it again.   We think the drug may have contributed to her TIA, which happened within 2 weeks of taking this medication.    

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

I'm sure that is an antibiotic I was given years ago for bacterial sinus infection. Ceftin works every time, but they don't want to RX it for me over and over or the bacteria will become resistant. I know so much more about chronic infections now, and I rarely get them.

My dear mom, now passed, suffered with recurring UTIs over and over, and the MD just allowed her to stay on antibiotics permanently. I'm sure they have better ways of treating them these days.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

That's not the only danger with Cipro -- it is an extremely potent drug, probably highest on the list (in the class) of antibiotics that caus@es C.diff. infections. You want to avoid getting a C.diff. infection. They are not always only a matter of nuisance diarrhea -- these infections can be life-threatening if a person doesn't respond to treatment.... and some people don't respond to treatment.

No antibiotic should be used indiscriminately for this reason, but alternatives to Cipro should always be investigated.

Lesson to be Learned (and I've said it before here): Don't just blindly take what you are prescribed. Always research prescription medicine. If there is something about the side effects that raises a red flag for you, discuss alternative treatment with your doctor. 

@SaRina - I like tried and true drugs - always ask my dr for something that's been around for years.  Unfortunately, last year she put me on a different high blood pressure medication that she said has been around for years.  The end of my tongue tasted like metal, then my liver started hurting and got a cough that medication is noted for.  Went back on my old meds immediately. 

Respected Contributor

I have been hearing this often about Cipro...my docs drug of choice for UTI's. Could someone tell me the time frame...if you are going to have tendon trouble does it occur while you are on it or shortly after.

Is the risk gone once it is out of your system.. When I take it my dr. tells me not to exercise at all.

Thank you all. This is a timely thread.

Valued Contributor

I took Levaquin for ten days for a skin infection----two months later I came down with C.Diff colitis---what a horrible, nasty infection--OMG!!!!! Luckily my gastroenterologist put me on a different sort of drug (instead of the usual Vancomycin)--a drug called Alinia----had to take it for two weeks----and the C.Diff finally went away. I got very very lucky----I have not needed antibiotics for anything since--and the C.Diff has not recurred, which I hear happens a lot. It's also an infection that is contagious---I kept using bleach in the bathroom I was using--told my hubby NOT to use that bathroom (thank goodness we have three bathrooms in our house).

Bottom line----do NOT use antibiotics indiscriminately--if your doctor says you don't need one, then do not insist. I didn't take a lot of antibiotics--just when absolutely needed--and look what happened to me!!

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom, Levaquin is in the same class of drugs as Cipro. They are fluoroquinolones and there is a much increased risk of getting a C.diff. infection on fluoroquinolones (as well as other horrid side effects).

You are correct that once a person gets a C.diff. infection, they are at greater risk than the general population for getting another one -- which makes it even more important to stay away from antibiotics unless you are in a dire situation requiring them. 

I'm glad you recovered. Please make sure you are on a good probiotic regimen. I take Culturelle. It contains the active bacteria Lactobacillus GG, which has been proven to be effective in combatting an overgrowth of C. diff. in the gut.

Honored Contributor

For those who have UTIs, please look into D. Mannose.

Image result for d mannose

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Was talking to a neighbor today who just had shoulder surgery.  I told her I had shoulder surgery after being on crutches from an achilles tendon rupture.  She asked if I had heard Cipro is known to weaken the achilles tendon and cause ruptures.  I told her when I had my rupture I was on Cipro constantly for bladder infections.  She said that was probably the cause.  I had no idea!  I know a lot of women take Cipro - let this be a warning - you can search it online. 

My husband took it for one week and went to bed and woke up unable to walk.  He crawled like a baby to use the bathroom.... Achilles Tendon.