Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 Haven't seen any post from you lately. I hope your arm is ok and the cast is not driving you nuts.

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Laura14 Haven't seen any post from you lately. I hope your arm is ok and the cast is not driving you nuts.

@grandma2pkmh  You're very sweet to check on me.  I have honestly really considered cutting the cast off and going back to my brace.  I am beyond over it but I have two more weeks to go.  Smiley Sad  

I did find a wonderful item from Amazon called Sani-cast that cleans under my cast.  I actually paid for the two day shipping because I could not stand the way my skin was starting to feel without a bath three days in.  The stuff works.  So far I am okay but I can not wait to properly bathe and exfoliate my arm.   There has got to be a better way!

Actually my biggest problem now is I think I gave myself an ulcer with the calcium supplements.  I told the ortho I was already on Vitamin D and I eat a lot of dairy but he insisted two supplement pills a day for the next three months.

I dutifully bought and took it but stopped a day ago because my stomach is in an uproar.  I feel horrible and it wakes me up at night.  As I type, I am struggling.  

Just goes to show you, you and only you know yourself.  Most kids are bigger than I am and weigh twice as much and he put me on an adult supplement at the maximum dose.  

Doctors always overdose me.  I know they see how tiny I am!  Now I have something that hurts worse than my broken wrist.  It takes a while for me to heal an ulcer too.  I am beyond angry with myself and him.   I know I should stop complaining.  Other people have it much worse than I do right now so I'll stop.  

Anyway, I can not wait to feel like me again and get my arm back in water.  I went back to the scene of the crime (sort of) and mowed the grass one handed with a shoulder bump here and there.  It was slow going but I did it.  Neighbors are going to have to get over the fact that I can't edge yet or trim the smaller bushes.  It was worrying about them and what they had to look at that caused all this.     

Anyway, that's the Red Cross update.  Thank you again for asking.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 I really feel for you. I'm surprised you will get the cast off so soon. I was six weeks in mine but then I broke the radius & ulnar bones.  I am also surprised about the calcium supplements making you ill. I know everyone's body reacts differently. I have been taking calcium and Vit D for 15 years as I have RA and bone scans show some loss, but at 70 yrs. you expect some.

Just keep on keeping on, the day will get here soon, and yes that first bath without the cast feels so good!!

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Laura14 - wish you had a nice neighbor to come over and help you mow.  When I broke my elbow, my neighbor sent her husband over to mow and trim.  Don't worry about what your neighbors think about your yard - I say, if it bothers them, they can come mow it!  Hang in there.  A broken anything is a pain in the a--!

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh  This is why I am shutting up.  3 weeks is not bad at all.  

I'm kind of surprised too at the calcium supplements.  The only other thing I can think of was I took two of the 500mg naproxen one the day it happened and one the morning after.  I then stopped because I really had no pain to the point I thought I needed meds.  I never take meds so it's not unusual for me to get a stomach issue if I take something long enough but this was two pills on two separate days with food and a full glass of water.

The stomach thing has really kicked up after the calcium pills  which I didn't start until two days later last Tuesday after I saw the ortho.  I don't get it unless I am overdosing on VItamin D or calcium or both.  

I've done a soft food diet today and tried to sleep sitting up which is difficult.  I'll get over it in a week like I normally do.  I'll be getting my calcium from my food like I normally do from now on and my vitamin D from my normal supplement.  

Getting older is hard people!     

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: @Laura14 How are you?

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Laura14 - wish you had a nice neighbor to come over and help you mow.  When I broke my elbow, my neighbor sent her husband over to mow and trim.  Don't worry about what your neighbors think about your yard - I say, if it bothers them, they can come mow it!  Hang in there.  A broken anything is a pain in the a--!

@hoosieroriginal  I was waiting!  You'd think someone would have come out while I'm in a cast mowing in 90 degree heat and at least take a moment to look sorrowful or shed a tear for me.  I don't ask for much!  Smiley Very Happy

I honestly have to say this is going to make me a nicer person.  I was at the gym early this morning carrying things back and forth with one hand and only one person said something to me.  Not one person offered to help not that I needed it.  It just takes me longer.  It's been very eye opening how we don't help each other out even when someone obviously could use it and it wouldn't really put the other person out.

Lesson learned. I'll be looking for who to help out from now on instead of the usual tunnel vision.        

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 - years ago I was in a full leg cast and was amazed how people didn't even seem to want to help when I needed it.  But after that, I sure helped people out who were in boots, on crutches, in arm casts - you don't realize how difficult it is to do anything when you are in that situation.  I couldn't even open a jar when I broke my elbow it was so painful.  At work they had no sympathy for me at all either time, but I managed to go to work every day - they didn't appreciate it at all.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Laura14 - years ago I was in a full leg cast and was amazed how people didn't even seem to want to help when I needed it.  But after that, I sure helped people out who were in boots, on crutches, in arm casts - you don't realize how difficult it is to do anything when you are in that situation.  I couldn't even open a jar when I broke my elbow it was so painful.  At work they had no sympathy for me at all either time, but I managed to go to work every day - they didn't appreciate it at all.

@hoosieroriginal  Wow am I living that right now!  Work peeps could care less that I haven't missed a day.  And most are on vacation all this week so guess who is covering.  Not that I expect them to change plans but a simple thank you even if I wasn't  one handed would not be out of line.    

And I'd like to think I would offer to help me.  I have helped new people in class set up their equipment before and they were just new not walking around with a cast on their arm.  I will be following your example and searching out all of us who don't move so well get along from now on.  Laura has been humbled.