Honored Contributor

Laugh for the Day-Medical Insurance

My employer is doing open enrollment this week for 2019.  My deductible is now $6,750.  That is not a typo.  This means a bus has to run me over three times now before my insurance card is anything other than a plastic souvenir.  

The good news is no charge for hospice but I can only go 30 times in my life.  Please put me in that resurrection ward but it must be preauthorized.  Or what?  I can keel over in front of the doctor who said no and the janitorial staff picks me up?

And before anyone gets themselves in a twist, this post is about making fun of the insurance industry and NOT about the seriousness of what goes on within it.  I am well aware of the heart wrenching problems and issues people face. 

I lost an aunt today and needed a good chuckle.  Thanks to my employer and the insurance "benefits" I will have in a few months, I got one. 

It helps dull the anger at the disgrace of not being covered at all except for a wellness checkup once a year.  And I pay $2000 for it pre tax.  I think the Millenials have it right with winging it instead.      

My 68th birthday is looking better all the time.     

Honored Contributor

Re: Laugh for the Day-Medical Insurance

We have 20,000 deductible.i share your pain.I am sad to hear about your aunt passing away today.I hope she didn’t suffer.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14, it sounds like a high deductible plan and it's too bad your employer doesn't offer you another option.  We have that option at my company, but also a couple others, one of which works better for me.  I feel your pain because I cannot be on a high deductible plan due to health issues.   

Honored Contributor

@dex  Smiley Surprised  I guess I will take my $6750 and be grateful.  

Honored Contributor

@Shogirl  They don't offer anything but.  The lowest you can get your deductible down to is $2000 and even that would have not helped me with my broken wrist last year.  Just ridiculous we all go through this in this day and age. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  I agree, that is just awful.

My youngest son who has the Obama's affordable care coverage also has a high deductible.. $6000.  He pays over $1000 a month for this insurance and has never used it. He is young and healthy, thank goodness.

His employer is supposed to be offering health insurance for his workers soon.

Our government is stealing from the middle class to pay for the the have nots.  It isn't right.

Hopefully, you have Medicare as your secondary insurance.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 Yes the insurance sounds laughable to me too.

I am sorry for the loss of your aunt. Precious people.

D296A7D0-918F-4B01-8B28-BBF3E34E8482.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  I'm not old enough yet for Medicare so I am employer provided or bust. 

I know your son's pain.  My BIL is a small business owner and no company will even sell to him to cover himself and his 20 plus workers because it's not enough business for them.  They've been in a sharing program through a church for years to thankfully cover him and his family.     

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess  Thank you  Heart

My aunt was 93 and passed at her care center after a very short illness with pneumonia.  Aparently it was out of the blue and my cousin sent a long email about how she was talking with her deceased sisters including my grandmother right before she passed.  It was beautiful.  

Honored Contributor

"My deductible is now $6,750.  That is not a typo.  This means a bus has to run me over three times now before my insurance card is anything other than a plastic souvenir."

837514213.gif

You have my condolences regarding your aunt.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif