Respected Contributor

Re: Laser Knee Surgery and AFIB/Heart Failure

@CatsyCline wrote:

That's  how her ins works. When she had to do the pre-op testing for her other surgeries they were done at the hospital's testing facilities but the results had to be faxed to her PCP for surgery approval.   . After her bad surgery her PCP told her she would not clear her. Her PCP has all the Cardio and Surgical records.

@CatsyCline 

Whenever I've had surgery, it is my PCP who had to clear me for surgery.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not what you asked about, but I'm gonna chime in anyway. I would definitely investigate just how successful this meniscus surgery would even be for your mother's issue. I'm 63 and two years ago had scope surgery done for a torn lateral meniscus. It made my knee worse, not better. In fact, it was and has been awful! Just my experience.....but I would still really look into this part of the process, as well.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

I think the PCP is doing your mother a favor by not giving medical clearance for a surgical procedure.   

She’s 88 years old with CHF and A-fib, and needs to understand her high risk, and the possibility of any procedure not going well.   

@RedTop 

Agree.  At her age and with the multiple health issues, just too much risk.  She could possibly die on the table.

Honored Contributor

An elderly family member of mine needed hip surgery on an emergency basis and she was taking Elequis, which is a blood thinner.

She had to have an IVF filter placed first. Blood thinners and surgery doesn't mix very well.  These filters are often a problem for young people and need to be removed after surgery, but in elderly people, the filter will probably outlast the patient and are deemed safe. Clots can form after surgery and blood thinners can't be taken for fear of bleeding to death.  The filters will catch the clots and keep them from getting to the heart.

Have a talk with her doctors.  It seems unusually cruel to let her suffer needlessly.  They should be able to come up with something.