Honored Contributor

Re: Ladies 65+ w/ Medicare Experience ..

Carmine, thanks for so much information. I did speak with someone from the dept of aging about a month ago and she suggested some things but said to call her back after I got my Medicare B card. I'm going to call her this week. I believe she suggested plan F....I have to look at my notes. Thanks again.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Great information for many people, as this can be quite challenging and confusing when they are ready to go forth with Medicare, or other plans at age 65.

Honored Contributor

If this is in your future, go on Ebay or Amazon and order the book  MEDICARE FOR DUMMIES !!

Honored Contributor

Rina said:
"I'll be joining "the club" pretty soon.
Is there a supplemental plan that includes long-term care and DENTAL?
How about home health care? For example, if I have surgery and need help @ home."

The quick answer to your question is no, you'll have to purchase dental and long-term policies separately.

Most dental policies, when finished with the annual deductible and exclusions, actually pay very little. The normally pay a max of about $1500., annually which is nothing considering what dentists charge.

As has previously been stated, long-term care policies can be prohibitively expensive. Good luck and welcome to Medicare.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:
Carmine, thanks for so much information. I did speak with someone from the dept of aging about a month ago and she suggested some things but said to call her back after I got my Medicare B card. I'm going to call her this week. I believe she suggested plan F....I have to look at my notes. Thanks again.

I know you will be happy with Plan F.  Be sure to call around for prices.  ALL insurance companies will sell the same product.  The prices will differ greatly.

Medigap insurance companies are generally allowed to use medical underwriting to decide whether to accept your application and how much to charge you for the Medigap policy. However, if you apply during your Medigap open enrollment period, (6 months after effective date of Medicare Part B) you can buy any Medigap policy the company sells, even if you have health problems, for the same price as people with good health.

Remember that once a plan is chosen, you will not be able to upgrade your plan unless it's within the 6 months of the Medicare B effective date. If you want to downgrade your coverage and have pre-x conditions, the downgraded option might cost more than a higher plan after the 6 month open enrollment period.

Best of health to you.

Respected Contributor

Actually, if your health is good LTHC can be bought in your 60's. We did. The policy is limited to 5 years of benefits and there is no guarantee that the premium will not go up. Mine at age 60 was about $1,000.00 a year and DH's (4 years older) was $1200.00. So far our premium has ot increased. We have Mutual of Omaha. 

Trusted Contributor

Long term care is a separate insurance and quite costly with way too many hoops to jump through, both my late Husband and I had it, when he became ill he had to not only have a stay in the hospital of a least three days and  ninety days in a nursing home to get them started, mine also requires a hospital stay of at least three days and 60 days in a nursing home before they will pay for anything. Ours does include having a nurse to help you at home but all the requirements above have to be met first, if you do decide to drop most policies don't have any kind of a refund so its money down the drain if you die before you can use it.   I haven't found any health  insurance that pays for long term care or dental normally they are separate insurance policies, I use to joke that we were insurance poor for all the policies we had to have as we aged.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I believe if you join AARP they sell dental ins thru Delta Dental, though I don't know what it costs. My DH is in the Elks and he buys us dental in a group plan thru the Elks for $50/month a piece.

I had Delta Dental when I was working. It was great insurance. Today, in retirement I have a group Aetna plan connected with my pension.

Honored Contributor

I just become a member as of 1 July and had my first check up under my new plans last week.  I have Medicare A & B also Blue Cross Blue Shield Sup F.  I also have Rx (for medication) through BCBS.  Also DH and I were offered Long Term Care through his work about 10 years ago and we've diligently paid in order to keep it.

I have to laugh at my first check up though....  I've gone to my Doctor off and on since we moved here and I like her a lot.  She really did a great job on my first Medicare visit.... but she really did me in... a full Gyn exam, regular exam, a shot in both arms (pneumonia shot and a Tetnus... couldn't move my arms for days!)... had three pre-cancerous areas frozen off my face.... and am having a Mammo tomorrow and they have me set up for a Colonoscopy at the end of the month.  However, I didn't realize how invasive the test is and mine will require anesthesia so I'm re-evaluating if the risks of the test are worth it..... 

Anyway.... welcome to the club, get all the info you need to make informed decisions based on what you need... and take good care...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Wow, Q4U, looks like you got care just as good as before Medicare?? That's what I'm leery about. As far as I know, I can keep my same doctors, too. Dental won't be as good. I didn't have a maximum about of benefit before whereas now, I think it can only be $1500 a yr..
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)