Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,421
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I keep hearing about krill oil, i have read on line about which would be best for joints,heart health,any opinions on this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,787
Registered: ‎06-09-2014

Re: Krill oil vs fish oil

[ Edited ]

Krill oil may be best only if you have issues absorbing fish oil.  It's in phospholipid form which makes it easier to absorb.  I am one of the rare persons that does have that issue so I actually take a derivative of krill that's less expensive to make sure it gets to where I want it to go and not waste my money.    

 

Other than that, I really don't think you'll do yourself any better taking krill versus fish.   I heard Andrew Lessman say pretty much the same thing on his last HSN visit.  He actually has a new plant version which I know nothing about but he did say, unless you need the phospholipid form which most people don't, save your money and stick with fish oil.    

 

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

There’s no marked health benefit on any level when

consuming fish oil.

Oils are a source of inflammation no matter how it’s taken.

Then add the danger of pollutants...wow. Dangerous.

 

A pill or a dose of 100% fat isn’t going to help anything.

Doesn’t make sense. Just think about it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,944
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Re: Krill oil vs fish oil

[ Edited ]

Most of the info I've read about krill oil and joint health shows it to be inconclusive as far as reducing pain from inflammation.  Most of the results from studies done proved to be subjective rather than scientific.

 

Furthermore, omega-3 supplements do not reduce the risk of heart disease according to research as stated in several NIH dot gov publications.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,421
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Krill oil vs fish oil

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most of the info I've read about krill oil and joint health shows it to be inconclusive as far as reducing pain from inflammation.  Most of the results from studies done proved to be subjective rather than scientific.

 

Furthermore, omega-3 supplements do not reduce the risk of heart disease according to research as stated in several NIH dot gov publications.


Do you give it to your dogs?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,507
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

Re: Krill oil vs fish oil

[ Edited ]

DH takes flaxseed oil and thinks it's working for his cholesterol.  I have read that omega 3's aren't all that much. I'm not convinced about the flaxeed oil either. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,944
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most of the info I've read about krill oil and joint health shows it to be inconclusive as far as reducing pain from inflammation.  Most of the results from studies done proved to be subjective rather than scientific.

 

Furthermore, omega-3 supplements do not reduce the risk of heart disease according to research as stated in several NIH dot gov publications.


Do you give it to your dogs?


 

 

@goldensrbest,

The only supplement I give my dog is Cosequin DS Plus MSM. I feed her some dried salmon treats often. She loves those!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,421
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I give my dog supplements, fish oil, joint supplements ,vit e,  they get canned salmon, sardines once in a while, good food ,human food,fruit,veggies.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,292
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Krill live on the ocean floor and are considered a shellfish.  I stay away as I have an allergic reaction to shellfish.

 

Be cautious with flaxseed oil as it can hit estrogen receptors. I tried Barlean's liquid and while quite yummy tasting, after 3 days I felt like I had pms.

 

Omega 6's can cause inflammation in some so I avoid combos like Omega 3, 6, 9 and stick with Omega 3.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,324
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

@goldensrbest wrote:

I keep hearing about krill oil, i have read on line about which would be best for joints,heart health,any opinions on this.


@goldensrbest

 

I have been taking krill oil for several years.  Does it do anything???  I have no idea.  I stopped taking regular fish oil because it was not agreeing with me.  It was suggested to me to try krill oil so I did and it does not give me upset stomach or any discomfort there. As fsr as whether there are any benefits, I do not know but hope so and continue to take it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin