Esteemed Contributor

Know anything that helps tinnitus? Driving me nuts today!

[ Edited ]

I do know it is because of an auto accident years ago!

Some days it is worse!  Why?

Honored Contributor

Re: Know anything that helps tinnitus? Driving me nuts today!

@Zhills wrote:

I do know it is because of an auto accident years ago!

Some days it is worse!  Why?

Since I had a carotid endarterectomy in June, I have it from nerve damage. I use white noise to try and mask it @Zhills . The noise from the air conditioner helps a lot but with winter coming I will need to find something else.

I find being in a noisy environment also helps a lot.

Regular Contributor

I have Tinnitus as a result of taking my Grandkids to a Concert & not wearing ear plugs.  Had my Carotid Arteries ck'd & hearing tested but still here a pounding in my ears .  Audiologists recommended a White Noise machine which cancels out the Tinnitus.  I know it sounds crazy but it works.  It bothers me more when it's quiet in the house!

Honored Contributor

From my work, I know that it's a hard diagnosis.  Something there is an underlying medical condition that causes the tinnitus.  They do the testing and if they find the condition, they cure that and the tinnitus goes away.  If there is no known cause, there are coping machines and mechanisms.  My late sister suffered with it for about two years.  She had a white noise machine that gave her a little relief.  Het doc prescribed medication to help her relax and sleep.  The psychiatrist she saw for other things taught her some coping skills.  And then one day, it just stopped.   A friend had a better outcome. She had something structurally wrong with her inner ear.  They did a small surgery and she was fine.

Honored Contributor

Mine's from CCB med. Nothing I do helps lessen the effects of the tinnitus from that. I just live with it.

Respected Contributor

I have been taking Lipo Flavonoid.  I have only been taking it for about 3 weeks and haven't noticed a big difference.  But every once in a while it gets less bothersom.  We'll see.

Honored Contributor

Mine isn't real bad, but I've used 100-150mg pycnogenol for years now and it helps.  Must be taken daily and will take a few weeks to start working.

I do sometimes still have some tinnitus at times, usually depending on the weather.  It isn't as severe and doesn't last though.

Trusted Contributor

Mine gets worse anytime there's a change in barometric pressure--especially rainy to dry.  I've had it for a long time.  I am very uncomfortable when it is quiet, so I keep a radio on even when I go to sleep.  It works for me.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had it for at least 30 years.  I have no idea what caused it.  

I am so used to it that I do not even notice it most days.  And thankfully it has not affected my hearing.  Some days it seems louder than others, but I am able to deal with it.  Mine sounds like a very high pitched ringing sound.

I have never consulted a doctor because everything I have read about it says nothing can be done.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Check your B12.