Super Contributor

Lately I have had pain in one leg around the knee. My knees have always been weak, even as a child. So the doctor ordered x-rays on both. I am guessing it's arthritis or osteoperosis. I am in my early 60s. I'm realizing that I need to do more to protect my bones. Maybe a little late but better than never. What important things do you do to protect your bones that is second nature to you?

Honored Contributor
On 6/24/2014 Pianomama said:

Lately I have had pain in one leg around the knee. My knees have always been weak, even as a child. So the doctor ordered x-rays on both. I am guessing it's arthritis or osteoperosis. I am in my early 60s. I'm realizing that I need to do more to protect my bones. Maybe a little late but better than never. What important things do you do to protect your bones that is second nature to you?

I have always made sure that my quadriceps muscles were as strong and as flexible as possible. Began doing this in my early 20's and never quit doing these types of both strength and flexibility exercises. Have run probably over 100,000 miles in my life and participated in ice hockey in many capacities. I am 75 and the only trouble I have ever had with my knees was Patella Tendonitis in one of them. That is an inflammation and has nothing to do with the integrity or structure of the knee joint itself.

The stronger these muscle groups, along with the VMO muscles, the less strain is put on the joint itself. It is never to late to strengthen these muscles and most any reputable Ortho doctor and Physical Therapist will tell you the same thing. Strong and flexible muscles and connective tissues can help prevent many injuries to every joint in the body, including the big one, which is the spine.

For the spine it is strong muscles in the front of the spine and flexible muscles in the rear of the spine. Many do not need specific strengthening exercises for the spine because just by standing upright and walking works these muscles for many.

If nobody has mentioned these exercises for helping the knees it would be wise to ask about them.

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Glucosamine really helps, like Osteo Bi-Flex. It only helps while you're taking it though, if you stop, you'll lose the benefits. Hope you feel better soon!

Super Contributor

your bone density and arthritis in your knees are two different things. I have great bone density, yet had to have both knees replaced due to arthritis a year ago. I also have to have my hips replaced soon in the future. Losing cartilage in your joints is not tied to bone density. There is really nothing to stop OA or RA. Or to reverse the loss of cartilage in your joints. Being proactive in not doing things such as running and jarring exercises may help to keep your cartilage healthy longer if you are genetically prone to loss of cartilage. Bone density loss can be slowed with lots of good exercise such as walking and strength training. In other words, weight bearing exercise. Diet with bone nutrient dense foods as well can help keep your bones strong. Part of bone loss for women is after menopause with the lack of Estrogen. Some bone loss as we age is just a given, but, still to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle to support bone health is very important.

Super Contributor

1500 Glucosamine daily for the joints and an occasional 12 hr. Aleve for inflammation. DH has been on this regimen for years via recommendation of his doctor to avoid knee surgery.

Honored Contributor
I'm going through a knee problem right now. About a month ago my right knee just suddenly started hurting when I walked and especially when I bent it. Frozen knee. I had to walk like Chester from Gunsmoke the first week, lol. Dr. Recommended PT and I've been doing it for about 3 wks, 3x a week. I can walk normally now but have to take stairs using my good leg only. Luckily I'm off work for the summer. Problem is, I don't think it's going to get better for the stairs. Old age is here. I'm going to ask about the knee injection while I'm off because I don't want to go back to work going up the stairs like an invalid. I've already been asked when I was going to retire, lol. I'm also on Ibuprofen, 800 mg every 8 hrs which I've cut down to twice every 24 hrs. Afraid of tummy problems for the future.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor
On 6/25/2014 Mmsfoxxie said: I'm going through a knee problem right now. About a month ago my right knee just suddenly started hurting when I walked and especially when I bent it. Frozen knee. I had to walk like Chester from Gunsmoke the first week, lol. Dr. Recommended PT and I've been doing it for about 3 wks, 3x a week. I can walk normally now but have to take stairs using my good leg only. Luckily I'm off work for the summer. Problem is, I don't think it's going to get better for the stairs. Old age is here. I'm going to ask about the knee injection while I'm off because I don't want to go back to work going up the stairs like an invalid. I've already been asked when I was going to retire, lol. I'm also on Ibuprofen, 800 mg every 8 hrs which I've cut down to twice every 24 hrs. Afraid of tummy problems for the future.
Go see an orthopedic surgeon. Get his opinion on what he sees and what needs to be done. Knee replacement sounds scary, but once healed you have your life back. All the shots and ibuprofen is only a temporary fix.... Why suffer? I did for over 10 years......so foolish of me. Now I have two knees that are pain free. I can do all the things I could not do...walk, bend, go up and down stairs. I got my life back!
Honored Contributor

drink milk - a lot and I walk - also a lot. I spend time outside in the sun as well. I'll sit out on the porch and read or do crossstitch.

Honored Contributor
On 6/25/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 6/25/2014 Mmsfoxxie said: I'm going through a knee problem right now. About a month ago my right knee just suddenly started hurting when I walked and especially when I bent it. Frozen knee. I had to walk like Chester from Gunsmoke the first week, lol. Dr. Recommended PT and I've been doing it for about 3 wks, 3x a week. I can walk normally now but have to take stairs using my good leg only. Luckily I'm off work for the summer. Problem is, I don't think it's going to get better for the stairs. Old age is here. I'm going to ask about the knee injection while I'm off because I don't want to go back to work going up the stairs like an invalid. I've already been asked when I was going to retire, lol. I'm also on Ibuprofen, 800 mg every 8 hrs which I've cut down to twice every 24 hrs. Afraid of tummy problems for the future.
Go see an orthopedic surgeon. Get his opinion on what he sees and what needs to be done. Knee replacement sounds scary, but once healed you have your life back. All the shots and ibuprofen is only a temporary fix.... Why suffer? I did for over 10 years......so foolish of me. Now I have two knees that are pain free. I can do all the things I could not do...walk, bend, go up and down stairs. I got my life back!

They won't actually do replacement surgery until the joints are bone on bone. I had pain in my knees for years before they were finally ready for surgery.

Honored Contributor
I have to see my gen. pract. dr to get a script for an orthopedic spec which is my next move. Don't want a knee replacement because the couple of people that I personally know that had one weren't pleased....better but not pleased. Does ice cream count for the milk, lol. I have osteopenia but I don't think my knee is bone to bone yet. The PT says that my range is better since I started with him. But my knee still locks when I first start to walk so I have to be careful. Can't sit in a low chair either without support getting up. Funny thing is that regular walking doesn't hurt anymore, I can walk all day. It's the stairs and getting out of a sitting position. I'm remembering so many things about my grandmother's movements now, lol. Thanks for the supporting words.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)