Honored Contributor

They now have those injections like SYNVISC that can prolong the time until you need surgery. I had those about 5 years before my surgery and they really halped with the pain - plus when my knee started to hurt again I found out I did not need full replacement surgery and was able to just have a mini procedure called makoplasty. I was walking painfree on my knees 2 hours after surgery and the recovery time was also about 2 weeks. The ortho doctor did my injections - they are supposed to replace the cartiledge and buffer the joints for you. When your knees get to being bone on bone and ready for surgery you will be in so much pain you will be very very happy that there is a surgery that can give you relief for it.

Honored Contributor
Finally getting my x-rays of my knees in the morning. Turns out that the order had already been sent to the lab. Dr. did it a month ago through his computer. And here I am calling them for a script. In the old days you always needed a written script to take with you. How was I to know, lol.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I am recovering from knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus. Dr. told me that when they scoped me, there was significant arthritis that did not show well on x-rays and MRI. I also have a discoid meniscus which is congenital and 3-5% of people have this.

Anyway, it was one week yesterday and today the knee is feeling pretty good. As he explained: arthritis NEVER improves. However, there are treatments which I am sure you all know. I am one month away from my 61st birthday and I plan on keeping it at bay.

He said: NO impact activities. Walking, swimming and biking. Most importantly he said was strengthening your quads muscles which is the upper leg by doing leg lefts with 2-5lb. ankle weights. He said do not bend your knee when doing this. This exercise can be done while laying on the bed or couch.

Honored Contributor
On 6/28/2014 Gooday said:

I am recovering from knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus. Dr. told me that when they scoped me, there was significant arthritis that did not show well on x-rays and MRI. I also have a discoid meniscus which is congenital and 3-5% of people have this.

Anyway, it was one week yesterday and today the knee is feeling pretty good. As he explained: arthritis NEVER improves. However, there are treatments which I am sure you all know. I am one month away from my 61st birthday and I plan on keeping it at bay.

He said: NO impact activities. Walking, swimming and biking. Most importantly he said was strengthening your quads muscles which is the upper leg by doing leg lefts with 2-5lb. ankle weights. He said do not bend your knee when doing this. This exercise can be done while laying on the bed or couch.

Great, Gooday...sounds like you're on the mend. My PT has me dangle my legs with 2lb weights as part of my therapy for about 5 minutes with a gentle swinging movement. I googled Meniscus and I have similar symptoms....popping and locking of the knee but I had no injury and no family history. Good luck with continued recovery.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)