Honored Contributor

I'm so happy you have that appointment.  Extreme pain is always an emergent condition and patients should never let some desk person at a doctor's office stand between them and the care they need.  Always demand to speak to a clinician; a doctor, nurse, physician's assistant, nurse practioner.  

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I reached out to my surgeon's nurse, Julie. I love her to pieces.  I explained what was going on and that I could not see Dr Phillips till November 3rd, was there any way she could get me in sooner. I have an appointment in 4 days!  Thank you for the suggestions! I think when someone is in so much pain their brain doesn't operate optimally.  This would have been my first suggestion to someone else 😳 

@monicakm 

Glad to hear you are able to see your surgeon sooner. Are the names of your nurse and doctor, that you mention above hypothetical, or their real names? If real, this is a very strange coincidence for me.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Good news, hope your pain is not as bad this week.

Esteemed Contributor

That is wonderful news, @monicakm.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

One of the first differences you will notice with your second surgery is less pain meds.   

The pain meds I received in my epidural made my second recovery much easier.  I only had enough oral pain meds for the first 2-3 weeks, but did not need more than that.  

At my 2 week recheck when the tape came off, my incision above the knee was wide open where the glue did not hold.  It put a halt on PT, and the incision did not fully close until mid February.  I handled it all without pain meds.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

It sounds like you have an abundance of pain tolerance.  I have less than no pain tolerance (sigh).  I don't know if it has something to do with Fibro and MS or that I'm just a wuss.  

I had the epidural for my right knee.  My Dr got really put out with me and said "I've never known someone that wanted to hurt worse".  I just wasn't understanding the procedure fully.  Once I did, I said ok to the epidural rather than being put totally under.  I'm hoping to win him over this time.  He doesn't have the best bedside manner but imo he's darn good at what he does.  I took the oxycodone for as long as he would prescribe it.  It was borderline dicey getting off of it but I managed.  I needed that pain med thru PT.  Looking forward to sleeping thru numerous YT videos (g), DH changing ice packs 24/7 for 8 days, and feeding me scrambled eggs every morning.  

Today I decided to get out of the house.  It's going to hurt no matter what I'm doing so I washed my hair, put on my makeup and got out among the living.  I don't think I hurt any worse than if I'd stayed home.  

Honored Contributor

@TerryNJ 

Thank you. It's either not quite as bad or I'm adjusting to it.  I can't  imagine it getting any better without drugs and before surgery so I must be acclimating to some extent.  My appt is tomorrow Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The names are real.  Do you know them?

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

Well, so as not to make anyone angry with me, I just reached out to the lovely and gracious nurse Julie and explained how much pain I was in and could she please do anything better than Nov 3rd.   

Honored Contributor

Wasnt your appt today, waiting to hear back from you