Valued Contributor

I have had knee pain for a month now..(diagnosed as an arthritic flare) went to an ortho dr today, who gave me a cortisone shot..telling me it may take day or two IF it helps to relieve the pain.

i am never without pain/ day & night, the rx drugs do not manage it and so am just using Tylenol every 8 hours (maximum dose).

i return to the Dr in a month and she told me the next step,may be a knee replacement, which is ok by me, but in the meantime, I am so exhausted from the pain..

has anyone tried acupuncture for this problem? I have no problem with alternative medicine at this point in time for pain relief?

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry and can tell you are desperate. It must be just agonizing.  I cannot answer your question about accupuncture, but if you have someone highly recommended or experienced in your area, seems to be it would be worth it.  Could it make it worse?  Be careful not to be doing things to aggravate the knee.  Did you discuss physical therapy?  If you are carrying extra weight (who isn't?), losing weight could help.

This suggestion is probably not enough for your issue, but I have had arthritis in my foot,

throbbing in the evenings and keeping me awake, big bony bump on top of the foot.  I massage my foot about every other day using Topricin (Amazon), and it is much, much better.  I always wear good, supportive (and ugly) shoes.  That makes a huge difference and could help in the case of knees as well.  You aren't walking around in flip flops are you???  lol....

Honored Contributor

I hope the cortisone shot will help you.  They help me tremendously when my knees are bothering me.  The only problem is they only last a couple of months for me.  They last much longer for lots of people.  There's another type of injection that my orthopedist told me about, but it's very expensive and I have a high deductible.  I don't remember the name of it, but you could ask your dr. about it if the cortisone shot doesn't help you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I have rheumatoid arthritis. I used to go to acupuncture and I do believe it helped. Plus anything else bothering you at the appointment - lack of sleep, anxiety, headache etc- he had a pin for that.  I stopped going when my job changed and it was not covered by my insurance. 

Respected Contributor

@Evie2004

Ask your doctor about the possibility of going through some physical therapy sessions to learn  exercises that will  strengthen muscles in your abdomen and thighs.  This can take pressure off the knee and make you feel much stronger.  Better than surgery or a shot, which my long-time basketball-playing  and now arthritic husband can tell you are not a solution.

I hobbled into an orthopedist's office several years ago, convinced I might never walk againand was probably headed for surgery.  I had worn out the cartilage in my knees years before, due to extreme exercising until I was in my late 40s.  The doctor gave me a choice of physical therapy or cortisone shots.

I turned down the shots, based on my husband's lousy experience with them.  I now do the exercises almost every day that I was taught in physical therapy, and my knee pain is virtually nonexistent.  I'm a believer that it's worth a try if your doctor says it might work.

Honored Contributor

I've had 3 operations on my knees, including one that removed 1/2" of tibia, the other two were arthroscopic.  I've torn the bursa sack behind the left knee (took a year to heal and pain took my breath away).  I've had cortisone shots (helped/didn't help), and found acupuncture helped temporarily.  My knees now "predict" snow and cold.... lol~!  And on those days I feel like I can hardly walk.  Tylonal is good, but be careful how many & how often you take because they are very hard on the liver.  Aspirin helps me greatly (again, be careful as too much aspirin is very hard on the stomach)....   

Would I have my knees replaced?  Not at this point.... perhaps if I get immobile from them I will....  I still get around and can manage the pain.

This from years and years pounding the floor teaching & advancing in Karate.... !  I loved Karate and even understanding what would eventually happen to me, I'd do it again.... and I might no longer be able to do the fancy stuff (I was a 2nd degree Black Belt).... no one will get my purse!.  You can take that to the bank!  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I have been diagnosed with osteo arthritis of the knee. Today he gave me a shot of anti inflamatory, I had one shot just before Christmas and today he gave me another shot because I was still having pain. I also have a prescription for Meloxicam which is another anti inflamatory. The pills took about three weeks to kick in. I am now able to go up and down stairs much better. I have been doing water aerobics a couple of time a week and leg lifts. If I walk to much I start to limp and it does start to hurt again. So not fun.

Respected Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

I have had knee pain for a month now..(diagnosed as an arthritic flare) went to an ortho dr today, who gave me a cortisone shot..telling me it may take day or two IF it helps to relieve the pain.

i am never without pain/ day & night, the rx drugs do not manage it and so am just using Tylenol every 8 hours (maximum dose).

i return to the Dr in a month and she told me the next step,may be a knee replacement, which is ok by me, but in the meantime, I am so exhausted from the pain..

has anyone tried acupuncture for this problem? I have no problem with alternative medicine at this point in time for pain relief?

If you've only had knee pain for a month, there are several other treatments to try before going through a knee replacement.  There is an injection that puts more cushioning liquid in the joint. 

http://www.arthritis.org/about-arthritis/where-it-hurts/knee-pain/treatment/knee-injection.php

There is a physical therapy regimen to strengthen the muscles around the knee to help support it better.  There is also the weight loss option that really helps!

My opinion is that knee replacement should be the option only when everything else has been tried first!

Good luck!  I hope you feel better real soon!!!

Honored Contributor

I have acute migratory arthritis in my weight-bearing joints.   The ONLY thing that keeps the pain at bay is keeping my weight down.   People are always telling me, "You're too thin."    When I tell them, "You don't know the consequences"........they simply refuse to believe me.    Five extra pounds, and I start feeling the pain.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I have had two different knee problems, that went away in time, NO meds.

1} I used to walk 12 miles aday. It was taking too much time, SO I put on a backpack, 50 lbs. One knee became very tender. OFF came the backpack, Pain went away in a few months.

2} I used to drive 11 hours aday. One knee became sore. I placed my hand under one leg to change the position of my knee{alignment} The pain went away, BUT would come back from time to time. The knee was in a non-natural position..

Both times, the problem I caused, when I changed, pain went away

Many knee problems are caused by being over weight.

Thats my two cents worth !!!

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK