Trusted Contributor

Knee Replacement Recuperation - what to expect?

My husband will be getting a knee replacement probably next year.  I am wondering what to expect for his recovery.

I'd also appreciate any tips from those who have gone through it.

At this point, my plans include:

• Making him buy a new / better reclining chair
  • Have him get a handicapped permit
  • I will take a week off work
  • My physical therapist recommended to me that he get a script for three weeks of PT prior to the surgery - this will help him bounce back faster during his time in PT after the surgery.

He will be 62 and is in relatively good health other than HBP, and he'll have me at  home for 7 days, so he won't be going into a rehab facility (as far as I know).  

I would appreciate any and all experiences, tips and advice on how your knee replacement, or a loved one's, went and how you coped with it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Knee Replacement Recuperation - what to expect?

@PilatesLoverI think you are doing the right thing by planning ahead.  Since you are going to be home, there are a lot of things he won't have to worry about because you can do them for him., (laundry, cooking etc).

One thing I did was get a new toilet installed in my master bath.  I had a very old toilet and replaced it with one at a higher level.  You would be surprised to know how much just a few inches helps when sitting down.

Also, you may want to evaluate if he will need any help in the shower....perhaps a shower chair.  There are also temporary bars that can be attached to the toilet to help him get up and down.  These can be taken off when he is healed.

It probably wouldn't hurt for him to get fitted for a cane before the operation either.  He will need it while he is healing, and this way it will all ready be fitted for him.

Just make sure he follows all directions of the doctor and the therapists.  As long as he does all his exercises, he will be fine and wonder why he didn't do this years ago.

Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

Not me personally, but I know several others who have gone through this.  From what I have observed, those who follow through with the PT after have the best outcome. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't have to guess about any of this.  Jooint replacements are so popular now that most hospitals have group meetings prior to the surgery and all of your concerns, along with some you haven't even thought of are discussed.  You will get the list of things he will need, the surgeon will set up his PT and OT appointments and the surgeon will prescribe the medical equipment he will need.  He will need a walker for several weeks after the surgery, he'll need a cane.  I had PT and OT come to my house 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks after the surgery and then I went to a local hospital for PT 3 times a week.  I also had exersizes that I did on the days I did not go to the hospital for PT.  My PT advised that I not use a recliner.  She wanted me to use my leg and to do as much as I could as early as I could do it.  Once he is using the cane, he should do lots of walking.  The people who have the best results are the ones who put the most work into the rehab part.   But you'll both get all of this from either the surgeon's office or the hospital.  

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

My husband will be getting a knee replacement probably next year.  I am wondering what to expect for his recovery.

• My physical therapist recommended to me that he get a script for three weeks of PT prior to the surgery - this will help him bounce back faster during his time in PT after the surgery.

He will be 62 and is in relatively good health other than HBP, and he'll have me at  home for 7 days, so he won't be going into a rehab facility (as far as I know).  

I would appreciate any and all experiences, tips and advice on how your knee replacement, or a loved one's, went and how you coped with it.

My MIL had it done last year.  She had PT after surgery and that was a last minute decision from the surgeon.  It wasn't  until after surgery and the doctor deciding extent of condition and surgery that PT prescribed.  She did an in patient rehab, which was great and worked for her.  When in rehab, you get assigned a discharge planner and that person took care of getting her a shower chair, walker and raised toilet seat.  All covered by her insurance.  She got around pretty good once she got home, but my BIL took a week off work to stay with her.  She did need transportation for follow up appointments.  My MIL does have a nice reclinder but it does sit a little low.  Looking back, should of invested in one of those power lift chairs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover 

My friend who is an Ortho Surgeon who does only Hip and Knee Repair and Replacement, says recovery time has too many variables to give a "general" time line for recovery.

A lady friend of mine, that is also an ice skater, had him replace her right knee in December 2018. She was back ice skating the first week in March and she was 81 years old when she had the surgery. She told me she used a Walker for 2 days and religiously followed all her Rehab exercises to reach her goals. She still does many of them daily.

My wife is having her right knee replaced at the end of this month(Oct.) by my friend. He said her recovery depends on her leg strength and flexibility before the surgery, and how strictly she does her Rehab post surgery. Unless she has a problem with the surgery he expects her to be at least 90+% in 10-12 weeks. My wife is 69 years old and unlike me, is not one that loves to exercise.

I am expecting her to recover quite well and in a good time frame. I will take good care of her during her Rehab, but make sure she does her part also. We have recliners and plan on having a Walker and a cane to use post surgery. Will also get a "high rise" for the toilet seat.

Physical fitness plays a big role in any major surgery, and TKR is no different. Health and Fitness are not the same. Having both prior to any major surgery is a very big factor for both the surgery itself, and even moreso post surgery.

Right now I am trying to make sure my wife will be in the best of both mentioned in my prior paragraph, which will help her immensely in her time of recovery. I don't want to "baby" her any longer than it takes.  =^..^=

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve had both knees replaced; 5 years apart; different experiences each time.   

By my last surgery 2 years ago, the ortho center required new patients to attend a very focused teaching program prior to surgery.   They go over everything you need to know to help prepare for surgery and recovery.   

Ortho surgeries are done locally in the hospital I retired from.  As of 2 years ago, patients having surgery on Wednesday, go home on Friday, and those having surgery on Friday go home on Sunday as long as there are no complications.   I had 3 group PT sessions before discharge, which focused on lifting the leg to help get in and out of a vehicle, easy flexing and stretching exercises, plus frequent walks around the nursing station.  I was discharged on Friday and started PT on Monday at the hospital 3x a week.  I reached the required goals early and only had 9 sessions total in 2017.   

For me, the first week was painful and rough both times.  I lived in the recliner day and night.  Insurance pays for the walker and cane; a medical supply company delivered them to me in the hospital before I was discharged with my first surgery.  I progressed to a cane very quickly both times.   

My first incision was closed with staples, and I expected staples the second time.  The second incision was closed with glue.  The glue did not hold, and when the cover tape was removed at two weeks, my incision above the knee was splayed open.   I opted to let the wound close on its own, so I came home from my recheck appt on Nov 21 and stayed in this house until my knee was fully closed on Feb 15th.   I strongly suggest your husband know in advance how his incision will be closed.   

Your husband will need a ride to PT; he will not be able to take himself.   

Super Contributor

Elastic shoe laces for his sneakers for PT. 

A long shoe horn.

The gadget for assisting with socks for dressing.

Comfortable socks to accommodate potential leg swelling.  

Pants that are not tight in the legs.

Raised toilet seat.

One walker is usually given but if you have a second floor, see if          you can borrow a walker from someone to have one on each          floor.

Last, but the most important, patience.

Good luck

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

I had mine done 2 years ago when I was 62 and my husband had his last year.  We didn't use a different chair nor did I get anything to help me on of off the toilet. He took a week off to help me and then he worked a week from home. When he had his done he took 10 days off and went back to work. We didn't change our lives any. We cooked, and did all the normal stuff. I was off any cane or walker in 10 days and he never used anything. We both went to PT 3 times a week until the end of the year and stopped December 31 so we didn't have to pay a new deductible. 

Trusted Contributor

I had my left knee replaced last Thursday, the right knee replaced in May.  Medicare pays for 23 hours in the hospital, hence I went home last Friday.  This knee is reacting the same as the other did.  I do have some discomfort, nothing major and take Celebrex, Gabapentin and Tramadol along with baby aspirin 2x a day, and good old Tylenol.  I have 3 excercises that I do every hour or so and another set of 6 that I do 2x a day.  I have also started PT at the hospital, 2x a week for an hour, for about 4-6 weeks, depending on progress.  First knee I only needed 4 weeks.

With my other knee I found all that to be most helpful and quickly made progress.  I expect this knee to do the same.  PT is the most important thing to do.  It can be challenging at times but nothing so bad that you can't do it.  It's also important to drink lots of water to get the body "moving" again lol.

Before I had the first knee done I was somewhat criticized by a poster for having it done at my age.  Well, I may be 79 but I sure am not ready to give up on being pain free and mobile.  So good luck to your husband, he'll do just fine if he follows the rules.Smiley Very Happy