Trusted Contributor

Re: Knee Replacement Recuperation - what to expect?

Oh my goodness everyone, thank you for your replies.  So many things I wouldn't have even considered.  

I did not realize the hospitals have "classes" beforehand.  That is a relief.  I never even thought of a toilet seat riser, the shoes, elongated shoehorn, etc.

This is all great information.

I'll come back in a few months to request prayers - for ME!  I hate to say it, but he's a grouch on good days, and probably one of the world's worst patients.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

My husband will be getting a knee replacement probably next year.  I am wondering what to expect for his recovery.

I'd also appreciate any tips from those who have gone through it.

At this point, my plans include:

• Making him buy a new / better reclining chair
  • Have him get a handicapped permit
  • I will take a week off work
  • My physical therapist recommended to me that he get a script for three weeks of PT prior to the surgery - this will help him bounce back faster during his time in PT after the surgery.

He will be 62 and is in relatively good health other than HBP, and he'll have me at  home for 7 days, so he won't be going into a rehab facility (as far as I know).  

I would appreciate any and all experiences, tips and advice on how your knee replacement, or a loved one's, went and how you coped with it.

I had mine done 2 years ago when I was 62 and my husband had his last year.  We didn't use a different chair nor did I get anything to help me on of off the toilet. He took a week off to help me and then he worked a week from home. When he had his done he took 10 days off and went back to work. We didn't change our lives any. We cooked, and did all the normal stuff. I was off any cane or walker in 10 days and he never used anything. We both went to PT 3 times a week until the end of the year and stopped December 31 so we didn't have to pay a new deductible. 

I agree with most of this but some patients have limitations and issues beyond their knees.  I did toilet riser because our toilets are actually a little low and at the time, I also had back problems.  The visiting nurse who came to my home to assess the things prior to my surgery advised the toilet riser and I was happy that she did.  I work from my home office and I could have gone back to work 2 or 3 weeks later but I chose to take 6 weeks off because I was able to take sick leave.  I used a walker for 3 weeks and cane for 8 weeks after that but when my physicial therapist said that I really didn't need the cane and the longer I used it, the more I would become dependant on it.....I ditched it right then and there.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I appreciate this thread and all the comments.  I need two TKR's,

my first one will be in December, on my birthday. Smiley Happy

Question I have is has anyone used an ice machine?  I've researched

and reviews have said they are really useful after a TKR, and being that

I need both knees replaced, I'm wondering if it would be a good investment....

or not.

My closure will be with glue and I was concerned about that, but doctor

said he's never had a patient experience problems.  I hope I won't be

the first.

Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLover  Early good luck wishes to your husband.

Respected Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

I appreciate this thread and all the comments.  I need two TKR's,

my first one will be in December, on my birthday. Smiley Happy

Question I have is has anyone used an ice machine?  I've researched

and reviews have said they are really useful after a TKR, and being that

I need both knees replaced, I'm wondering if it would be a good investment....

or not.

My closure will be with glue and I was concerned about that, but doctor

said he's never had a patient experience problems.  I hope I won't be

the first.

@yellowrose   check with your doctor before you buy anything.  Some patients are sent home with items.  I just used the large gel ice bags when I had mine done.  But my co-workers husband just had one done and the hospital sent him home with some sort of ice machine wrap.  Also, a lot of people are saying that things are covered by insurance.  Please keep in mind this all depends on what type of insurance you have.  What a way to spend your birthday!

Trusted Contributor

@Travone  thank you.  I will take your advice and wait.

I don't mind having the surgery on my BD, will be released on

Christmas day.

We'll just celebrate Christmas a little early.

Trusted Contributor

23 years ago my mom had both knees replaced at the same time. She was age 82 and lived alone out of state. I spent one week with her for the surgery, that was it. She spent few days in hospital then to in patient rehab for 3 weeks. The rest she did on her own. PT came to house for exercises and brought her all necessary equipment. It was a 3 month recovery to bring her back to a normal lifestyle.  Much has changed and improved with joint replacement surgery in the past couple decades, but if my 82 year old mom could do both knees in single procedure and recover to live on to age 100+, I’m not too worried about the knee surgery that looms in my own future. Good luck to your husband; all will be well.

Doc told my mom he was doing both knees at same time because if he did only one, he’d never get her back in to do second knee.....😉

Trusted Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

@PilatesLover  Early good luck wishes to your husband.

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, the commodes!  If it is time to replace them anyway, now is a good time.  We went to a not quite ADA spec, but not as low as traditional height.  I spent much time with a measuring tape and sitting on things.  Too high and your feet may be unable to hit the floor in a sitting position.

Think how often those things get used.  They alone can lead to joint stress!

Oh, and sorry!  Of course, well wishes, and I would imagine with your training, things will be better than most.  Post-anaesthesia memory is a little foggy so if your patience is stretched, maybe you can avoid hard feelings!

Cogito ergo sum