Respected Contributor

I need to schedule this surgery soon.  According to some resources it states that recovery could take up to 6 weeks if tissue is repaired, which is my problem.

If you have had this type of surgery, what was your recovery time?

I am very concerned as we have a new puppy joining our family in a few weeks and I will not have much help at that time.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Super Contributor

Re: Knee Arthroscopic Surgery

I imagine it depends upon exactly what they are doing. I had that type of surgery for arthritis and they did a lateral release too. No tissue damage that I know of. I was up and about probably a little quicker than I should have been since I had a young child. And I had PT. But I don't think I was all healed before 6 weeks. Good luck with the surgery and the puppy! Love doggies!

Trusted Contributor

I just had it done the day before Thanksgiving.  My knee hardly hurts.  I walk without a cane or walker.  I have a CPM machine that i use 2x a day for 2 hrs. each.  Went to urgent care yesterday found out I have pneumonia (not related to surgery),  so I can't start PT until next week.  This is my 3rd arthroscopic surgery in 5 years on a knee replacement.

Regular Contributor

Mersha  I had a knee replacement last December.  Up until my surgery  I did 6 months of PT to strengthen my quads as a result I was up and driving within 2 weeks, didn't need a walker at all very little pain and I attribute this all to PT and of course a great surgeon !  NE Baptist Hospital in Boston.  I am almost 79.  Good luck !  Felinemom

Honored Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I just had it done the day before Thanksgiving.  My knee hardly hurts.  I walk without a cane or walker.  I have a CPM machine that i use 2x a day for 2 hrs. each.  Went to urgent care yesterday found out I have pneumonia (not related to surgery),  so I can't start PT until next week.  This is my 3rd arthroscopic surgery in 5 years on a knee replacement.

Your Third?!  Why? I had both knees replaced in 2013. Never have done anything afterwards or even think about my knees anymore. Did you have complications?

Super Contributor

This surgery, more so than others, depnds on the skill of the doctor.

Do your homework, talk to people, ask around.  Call your insurance company and ask for a referral. 

And when you go into surgery, tell doctor you ONLY want him to operateon you; especially important in a teaching hospital.

good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@felinemom wrote:

Mersha  I had a knee replacement last December.  Up until my surgery  I did 6 months of PT to strengthen my quads as a result I was up and driving within 2 weeks, didn't need a walker at all very little pain and I attribute this all to PT and of course a great surgeon !  NE Baptist Hospital in Boston.  I am almost 79.  Good luck !  Felinemom

@felinemom 

Sounds like you had good surgeon and were a very good patient that put a lot of work pre surgery, which is a very big asset, many refuse to do. Knowing that, I am quite sure you were the same post surgery rehab.

My wife having had a TKR about a year ago, I understand what it takes to Rehab. I have to guess, since you said "driving within 2 weeks", it was not your Right knee that was replaced, and you were not driving a 5-speed manual shift vehicle.

I had several hockey players in my league, 3 over 60, when they had scope knee surgeries. They all were back playing in less than 3 weeks. Their surgeon, and friend, also played in my hockey league. A great Sports Med Doc that does only hips and knees.

Your story should give the Author of this thread some optimism, and also tips on what helped you prior to your surgery. Too many snuff that off and then wonder why their recovery takes longer than Aunt Sophie! 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@henderson wrote:

Your Third?!  Why? I had both knees replaced in 2013. Never have done anything afterwards or even think about my knees anymore. Did you have complications?

Because of pain after my knee replacement.  The knee replacement was the worst surgery I've ever had.  Spend a week in rehab from hell.  The 2nd arthoscopic surgery showed I had scar tissue wrapped about the implement.  The 3rd -- pain for 2 years and finally had it scoped out.  Will see surgeon again in about 3 weeks and I will find out what he saw.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

I need to schedule this surgery soon.  According to some resources it states that recovery could take up to 6 weeks if tissue is repaired, which is my problem.

If you have had this type of surgery, what was your recovery time?

I am very concerned as we have a new puppy joining our family in a few weeks and I will not have much help at that time.

@Mersha I had this surgery approximately 10 years ago.  I was putting weight on that leg the same night (though I didn't want to), and walking very slowly around the house.  Had to wear a soft knee brace and crutches for several weeks.  I went back to work in DC after 2 weeks - including dealing with Metro and all the stairs and walking.  I seem to recall it took around 6 weeks to recover fully.

Good luck on the surgery and YAY for the new puppy!

Valued Contributor

I think it all depends on your leg strength and the type of surgery they are going for in this manner. My SIL had this to find out why she has such knee pain when MRIs showed nothing. They sold her on frozen stem cells. She is still in pain but better almost a year later. Be careful on those frozen stem cells not from your own body. I read a bunch of research articles about how these may not even have stem cells in them. She was sure these stem cells from umbiliical cord blood were magic. My SIL was still on crutches 9 months after doing this but I don't know the skill of her doctor but the fact that they put the stem cells not from her own body into her knee and promised it would work makes me suspicious. But I will say my SIL is not health literate and isn't willing to think and research on her own.