I am kinda proud of myself.

Cat Very Happy

Smartest kitty I know😻

@tansy

Kitty Kisses for you!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitty Pirouettes into Plants!

@QueenDanceALot

Saw this and....of course....thought of you!

IMG_2783.jpg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Saw this and....of course....thought of you!

IMG_2783.jpg

@sidsmom

If only I could walk a tightrope on pointe!

I'd be one famous kitty!!

P.S.  Picked up some very nice purple fingerling potatoes at Whole Foods this week!  Even better than the tiny purples!

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Did you suggest the Plant Fit Summit?

I noticed it started today...yay!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Did you suggest the Plant Fit Summit?

I noticed it started today...yay!

@sidsmom

I did!  I will be checking it out.  The guys who set it up are really nice to deal with, too.

I may head over there now to watch a bit.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Just wanted to tell you that I just finished watching the segment with Fraser Bayley and he was FANPLANTASTIC!

You know, I'm crazy interested in all things strength and conditioning and he spoke at length about the subject, intertwined with nutrition (He's whole foods plant based vegan, of course), and related topics.  I found myself nodding with recognition many times during his presentation and now I want to learn more about him and his philosophy.

Great interview!  I hope you can catch it.

I watched both Dr. Barnard and Rip Esselstyn yesterday and they were terrific, too.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom

Just wanted to tell you that I just finished watching the segment with Fraser Bayley and he was FANPLANTASTIC!

You know, I'm crazy interested in all things strength and conditioning and he spoke at length about the subject, intertwined with nutrition (He's whole foods plant based vegan, of course), and related topics.  I found myself nodding with recognition many times during his presentation and now I want to learn more about him and his philosophy.

I watched both Dr. Barnard and Rip Esselstyn yesterday and they were terrific, too.

@QueenDanceALot

Ho.ly.cow.

That was good stuff!  And he talked non-stop, but there was so much info!  I think it's stuff we all know, but it's good to be reminded.

What I gleaned:  

Confirms the protein thing...just need to consume more calories vs protein.

Chewing....that's one of the main reasons why smoothies aren't encouraged...we need chewing to stimulate the enzymes, etc.

Thyroid/hormones...so important. I'm trying to make my workouts more parasympathic....sloooooow.  I've been eeking up my HR in the anaerobic zones & my sleep, etc is affected.  It's a snowball effect.

I'm glad he didn't talk about vegan/plant based very much..and just intertwined, like you said.  But I do think if the diet is non-inflammatory, eliminating the other issues will be much, much easier. 

He kinda lost me on the workout section, but that was your fav part.  And it was a reminder why I pay my personal trainer the $$ I do...ha. 

Feeding off other's energy....I'm so grateful for your passion with the PB conversion.  

This might seem choppy, but I was writing as I was listening.  The replays only have a 12-hr window, so I might listen again tomorrow morning before it's gone.  

It's hard to dedicate that much time for each speaker...so I'm happy you turned me on to Fraser....I would've never had chosen him. Thanks!

Have a good evening, dear!  🌼💛

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom

@QueenDanceALot

Ho.ly.cow.

That was good stuff!  And he talked non-stop, but there was so much info!  I think it's stuff we all know, but it's good to be reminded.

What I gleaned:  

Confirms the protein thing...just need to consume more calories vs protein.

Chewing....that's one of the main reasons why smoothies aren't encouraged...we need chewing to stimulate the enzymes, etc.

Thyroid/hormones...so important. I'm trying to make my workouts more parasympathic....sloooooow.  I've been eeking up my HR in the anaerobic zones & my sleep, etc is affected.  It's a snowball effect.

I'm glad he didn't talk about vegan/plant based very much..and just intertwined, like you said.  But I do think if the diet is non-inflammatory, eliminating the other issues will be much, much easier. 

He kinda lost me on the workout section, but that was your fav part.  And it was a reminder why I pay my personal trainer the $$ I do...ha. 

Feeding off other's energy....I'm so grateful for your passion with the PB conversion.  

This might seem choppy, but I was writing as I was listening.  The replays only have a 12-hr window, so I might listen again tomorrow morning before it's gone.  

It's hard to dedicate that much time for each speaker...so I'm happy you turned me on to Fraser....I would've never had chosen him. Thanks!

Have a good evening, dear!  🌼💛

@sidsmom

I listened when Fraser spoke about the importance of good digestion (well, I listened to the entire interview!) as I've struggled with that from time to time when I have an IBS bout, which I think I've mentioned.  If it lasts a long time, which it sometimes does, it just zaps my energy and the lack of absorption is more than apparent in weight loss.  I have to say that my IBS symptoms have been a lot better recently, even though I have not been 100 percent compliant on this way of eating (but I'm getting there!) I try not to beat myself up over not having it all down yet and appreciate those plant based whole food peeps who say it's a process and all is not lost if you fall off the wagon.  My screw ups have been when eating out, at a restaurant or at someone else's home.  But I still feel I am on the right path and will figure it out, one day at a time,  Or one meal at a time!

I really appreciated Fraser's training discussion and his focus on the overload principle and the many ways there are to achieve that.  If you've trained for a long time, the increases in weight lifted (or pulled or pushed, etc.) come in extremely small increments (if at all) as you reach your genetic potential. It's not like when you're a newbie and you keep slapping more  plates on the bar every week!

And he kind of hit on the intensity craze a bit, too.  Fitness trends happen, and HIIT has been the "be all" for many people over the past several years.  I was reading an article about this earlier this week, and how some people get so hooked on that type of training that they forget (if they ever knew in the first place) that the cornerstone of training is the kind done at moderate intensity, even for top level elite athletes.  Too much HIIT burns people out, and as you seem to have found out, messes with your hormones and ability to recover from workouts.  Some coaches will tell you that there is no such thing as overtraining, only under recovery, but you can't recover if you're overtrained.  Cat LOL  Keep your cortisol levels up all the time and something's gonna give.  I like doing some power training, but I have to be aware of how much it takes out of me and to not do it too frequently.  One symptom is definitely sleep interruption.

Anyhoo, I am trying also to get away from the "shake" nutrition, as I understand the need for proper digestion via chewing and enzyme recruitment.  As I need fuel prior to a workout I am going to try eating just fruit in the morning, which will digest faster than eating a bowl of oatmeal, but won't bypass the chewing phase AND send my blood sugar soaring. 

Listened to vegan bodybuilder/distance runner Robert Cheeke today.  He was very good, but there was a lot of calorie talk, and although I understand that calories absolutely DO matter (no matter what some people like to tell us) I think I have a good understanding of that info and how it relates to me so I skipped some of it.  I also listened to the bikini competitor, Samantha Shorkey, but she kind of reminded me of a lot of bodybuilder competitor types I used to be around a lot, and I moved on from that long ago.  She had a lot to contribute on the body image and acceptance topic which a lot of people might find very helpful, though.  And she has a beautiful ginger colored kitty who kept trying to get in the camera.  Cat LOL

I am really looking forward to a segment tomorrow about plant based whole foods and digestion.  

Hope you are getting to see some of the presentations! 

P.S.  I feel like I am in the right place. the whole food plant based place.  As Fraser talked about, it requires some personal "tweaking" to get the food right if there are digestive issues or energy issues.  I am working on getting it right.  And getting stuff right doesn't always happen overnight!  Right?  Cat Happy