How about changing the thread title to reflect your new journey? 😀

KittyLouWhoToo's Going Green

Kitty's Plant Pirouettes

...or something like that?  🌼

DONE!  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Kitty Pirouettes into Plants!

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot  I am so excited for you.  This will be one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your life; it affects your health, the environment, and the well being of animals.  You will love this new adventure.  All the people that have been mentioned by @sidsmom are well known and knowledgeable.  They will assist you with your diet and understanding why you are making the best decision possible for your health and it is critical reading.  When you feel you would like to explore how you are making an impact in the world by choosing to change your diet, you might want to consider Dr. Will Tuttle's World Peace Diet (it is not a "diet" book).  It will give you a lot of information from an ethical and environmental perspective.  Much respect and love for choosing to not only become the best you can be but also contributing to the health of our planet and all of its habitants.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

@sidsmom

Kitty, I applaud you for your kind, heartfelt words to sids.  I have seen some of your (un)friendly discourse on this board and am happy to see you extend an olive branch in peace and love. 

I am also a bit jealous.  While I have adopted a vegetarian lifestyle many times over the years, I am one of those individuals who struggles with maintaining a healthy weight.  What works for me (quickly) is a low carb diet. I have, for the most part, eliminated sugar and white from my diet, but of course I can go on a bender. After a weekend of partying, a week ago Monday I became very disciplined and the pants that were tight then, I can slip down without even unzipping.  

I am planning to do some research on the experts you have discussed. Whether I can fully commit remains to be seen, but knowledge is power!  

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this topic sids and good luck to you Kitty.  

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

How about something new for dinner tonight?

https://www.lazycatkitchen.com/spanish-chickpea-spinach-stew/

The blogger has a cat name! Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

Oh, that looks and sounds WONDERFUL!  Next time I go to the market I will be picking up some of the things I don't have for this delicious sounding dish.  

Today I bought potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, romaine, onions, black beans, a three bean mix, red peppers and pasta.  Oh, and Ezikiel Sprouted Grains bread and peanut butter.

Oatmeal for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch, pasta and broccoli for dinner.

@lolakimono@phoenixbrd@sidsmom@Caligurll

I do have a question for you guys - so many vegan dishes sound fabulous BUT many include some olive oil - do you leave it out?  Use less? (they do use amounts that would amount to very small amounts in a serving)..  I would like to eliminate the oils, but wonder if a little is O.K. now and then.  I'm guessing YES, but not to use it on a daily basis.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Yes, you can leave the oil out.

If it's for sautéing, like this recipe, just water sauté.

There are tons of YT videos on this process. Crazy simple.

You are off to such a lovely start!

Kitchen clean up is a snap w/out oily dishes.

And once your pantry is stocked, so many dishes can be

made at a moment's notice.  Nothing feels better than reading

a tasty recipe & knowing you have all the ingredients on hand!

As a PSA, remember to eventually include a B12 supplement.

Or include some nutritional yeast to your dishes.

That's the only thing missing with a 100% PB diet. 

Other than that, just hit cruise control & feel the lightness w/ your dancing!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

Thanks!  I did buy some vegetable broth today that I plan to use when I saute some onions and peppers this weekend   

I watched both Drs. Barnard and Greger videos at Mad City Vegan Fest earlier today.  I couldn't tear myself away Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

Oh, and thank you for the reminder about the B-12.  I will be getting some this weekend!

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  Usually you won't even notice if you avoid the oil.  If I saute, I use a low sodium veggie broth from Trader Joe's.  I always have it on hand.  Also, I make a tasty simple salad dressing that includes three ingredients and it is yummy if you are craving a "fatty" taste.  Mix tahini (I like the one from Trader Joe's), coconut aminos, and a little lemon juice.  You can vary the amounts to taste.  If you make a fresh guacamole and use as a dressing in salad, it will help you get over the hump of oil dressing on your greens.  You will find as time passes, you won't crave the oil. Be sure to eat enough...veggies are nutrient dense and you can eat enough so you don't feel hungry.  Plan ahead and bring fresh veggies/fruit with you.   Enjoy your new adventure!

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@lolakimono

Oh, that looks and sounds WONDERFUL!  Next time I go to the market I will be picking up some of the things I don't have for this delicious sounding dish.  

Today I bought potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, romaine, onions, black beans, a three bean mix, red peppers and pasta.  Oh, and Ezikiel Sprouted Grains bread and peanut butter.

Oatmeal for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch, pasta and broccoli for dinner.

@lolakimono@phoenixbrd@sidsmom@Caligurll

I do have a question for you guys - so many vegan dishes sound fabulous BUT many include some olive oil - do you leave it out?  Use less? (they do use amounts that would amount to very small amounts in a serving)..  I would like to eliminate the oils, but wonder if a little is O.K. now and then.  I'm guessing YES, but not to use it on a daily basis.

@QueenDanceALotI leave it out. I use either water or vegetable broth in it's place to saute. I love the flavor that veggie broth gives to hash browns. It's been my experience that I can find plant-based replacements for oil when I'm cooking. 

Giving up oil was the hardest thing for me about going plant based, but everything that I read made sense to me, so I gave up processed oils.  The funny thing for me was, I thought giving up processed sugar would be the hardest, but it wasn't even a close contest!

Good luck to you on your plant-based journey!