Trusted Contributor

Re: Kirstie Alley's Weight Loss

Diets and short-term plans don't work. I've lost about 400 lbs in the last 25 years "dieting". 5 years ago I was told by a doctor...

"Don't tell me you are going to start a diet, diets don't work. Come up with a lifestyle change. It may take some time, there will be trials and errors, but know that whatever you find that works for you is a lifestyle change. You will have to do for the rest of your life if you plan to keep the weight off this time."

Finally, I've maintained this last nice chunk of weight loss for just over 3 years fluctuating 5-8 pounds. I get back of track when I feel myself slipping by remembering what my doctor told me. It also helps that I refuse to gradually buy up 8 sizes for my wardrobe again!

I totally feel the pains of someone battling weight loss...I've struggled with weight my entire life and wish those the best of luck in trying to find their long term solution.

Valued Contributor

I can relate to Kirsties struggle with keeping the weight off. We all know how to do it, it is just a matter of sticking with whatever works. My weight has gone up and down for years. I can never fault anyone that can't keep it off, that would make me a huge hypocrite. I wish her the best in keeping it off once and for all.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Cookie06 said:

I can relate to Kirsties struggle with keeping the weight off. We all know how to do it, it is just a matter of sticking with whatever works. My weight has gone up and down for years. I can never fault anyone that can't keep it off, that would make me a huge hypocrite. I wish her the best in keeping it off once and for all.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

What a wonderful statement - ^

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I can definitely relate to losing and gaining weight. Please don't judge. It truly isn't just about a lifestyle change. I applaud her for not giving up...and if she can get paid to do Jenny Craig again, even better. I have lost and gained hundreds of pounds in my life, but I still haven't given up either.
Honored Contributor

It all goes back to people that love to eat. Most everything that is so so so good is bad for us.

We all know that a person with weight problems has to make a lifestyle change to lose weight and keep it off.

"For the Grace of God, there go I".

A true story...there were two friends, one that was overweight and one that smoked. The overweight man told his friend that he needed to lose weight to be healthy. The other man poked his stomach and said, "As soon as you lose that weight".

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I have never been good at telling a story. Of course, the overweight man told his friend that he needed to quit smoking.

Valued Contributor

I like her and her resilience. She seems genuine, and i think she just puts it out there no matter what others may think. I gotta respect that. The only thing that gives me pause is that she is reportedly a Scientologist. Anyway, I saw her on The View today and she mentioned that she'd always had a fast metabolism and always ate a lot of food wi/out gaining.. until she hit (can't recall.. 50 something?).

A couple of years ago while i was laying in bed with a back injury, i caught her appearance on the old Match Game show. She introduced herself as an interior designer from Witchita, Kansas. Here is a clip from her appearance there in 1979.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

I saw her on The View today for a minute and she still looks like she needs to lose weight. But regardless of her weight she's a gorgeous woman and I wish her well. The yo-yo dieting is definitely not good for you!

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 BeckiWV said:

I have always liked her. I can see that she really struggles with her weight issues and I can certainly relate. I have a hard time keeping weight off and I'm a big exerciser (but apparently also a big eater, LOL).

You really do have to keep on top of it, there's no doubt about it.

I hope this time will be the time that she can keep it off for good, for the sake of her health.

You go, Kirstie!

I've always really liked her too. I think she's a good actress, and she seems super genuine. She's a bit "nuts", but I think I like that quirkiness about her. I do think she is going to stuggle with her weight all of her life. It is a lifestyle change. I wish her success though.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I thought she looked great. Anyone else think she had a chin implant? Something looked very different, and it didn't have to do with the weight loss.